Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Saddlebags (Read 2 times)
alice61
Ex Member

Saddlebags
08/23/05 at 07:47:50

Got new saddlebags this week and need some help installing them under the backseat.  If I put them under the seat should I  put something to protect the wires under there?  And also could the bags scratch the finder?   How should I go about doing this job Smiley

Have had my bike about three weeks and just hit the six hundred mile mark.  New rider new to me 1999 Savage.  Having great time.

IP Logged
lcs151
Ex Member

Re: Saddlebags
Reply #1 - 08/23/05 at 08:57:17

You wont hurt the wires underneath. however you do need to get saddlebag brackets to prevent your bags from hitting the tires, belt drive, etc. also remember to keep ample room between the saddlebags and the exhaust as you will burn right through the bags, or at least melt them pretty good if they are too close or touching. the brackets are available online usually or at the dealership. you may want to post on the marketplace on this board- perhaps someone has some for sale! good luck and welcome to the world of riding
lauren

IP Logged
alice61
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 08/23/05 at 10:33:00

The bike already had the brackets on.  So I just take the seat off and then adjust the lenght and screw seat back on?  That sounds way to easy

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #3 - 08/23/05 at 11:39:33

You might want to cut out a hole to go around the voltage regulator/heatsink.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Goose
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 08/23/05 at 19:01:36

dito what everyone else said i have wille and max slant bags and with the brackets and trim a liitle bit to clear the regulator bags fit great

IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #5 - 08/24/05 at 07:42:44

It really is that easy. You can trim out a piece to go around the regulator if you want but it is not necessary. I didn't and all is well!

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
alice61
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 08/24/05 at 07:44:23

What do you consider ample room from the exhaust.  Right now I have the bags thrown over the the back seat and about three and a half inches above  exhaust.  I took a short ride last night and the bags did get warm,  but not hot to touch right after I stopped.  Should they be farther up, they were not exposed to the heat of the exhaust for more than 30 mins.  Longer ride would cause more heat.  What do you guy/gals think?

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/06/24 at 11:55:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Saddlebags

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.