Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
I have no idea how to rejet my carb..please help!! (Read 5 times)
cmack
Ex Member

I have no idea how to rejet my carb..please help!!
08/23/05 at 14:56:32

I just bought a 96 suzuki savage that has been raked and stretched into a chopper.  The guy i bought it from put an after market sawed off pipe on the bike.  He never really adjustested the carb properly.  The bike runs but needs the choke out at all times unless the engine is hot.  Also, the choke is leaking a little gas.  When stopped, the rpm's need to be kept high or the bike will die.  I have a bike manual, but i need tips to adust the jets....at least i think this is all thats wrong....thank you

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Re: I have no idea how to rejet my carb..please he
Reply #1 - 08/23/05 at 15:38:10

The standard response is: "look in the tech section," or "do a search and set the look back to section to 600 days or so."

...only because folks get so tired of answering the same questions.

At any rate, rejetting is pretty easy, espescially on a single carb (no need to balance the carbs...), but tuning it is the trick!

some good carb tuning pages:

http://www.factorypro.com/tech/carbtune,CV,lower_rpm_engines.html

http://jimrace.com/faq/CVK40.html

http://www.mikuni.com/c-tuning_guide.html

and if you are brave enough Wink , look up the "roll on" method of tuning.

IP Logged
rkutzner
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 08/23/05 at 16:13:05

At least buy a replacement for the choke so it isn't leaking.  Then do the searches and study carb tuning until you understand it....then it's a piece of cake!

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #3 - 08/23/05 at 16:39:08

Well, welcome to the family!  Post a picture of that beast, do some reading in our Technical Corner (but don't post there; post here), a few searches on relevant phrases (be sure to set the way-back to something larger than 7 days; try 500) and if you still have questions, please ask. This is a great bunch of folks (although the occasional whining scupperlip slips through).  It's a great bike I'm pretty sure you'll enjoy once you get it tuned.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
savage777
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 08/23/05 at 16:54:39

turn your petcock to off or reserve<my '01 has no off >drain the float bowl then remove the four screws that hold it on.the back screws are a bi%@h but with patiencethe can be got
the main jet is right in the middle..looks like a screw just smaller than a dime . remove the jet which should be a #145 got to at least a #152.5 or a #155  reinstall the float bowl( recommend replacing the four screws that hold the bowl on with stainless cause the O.E screws are kinda soft . thats all there is to it. I'm no mechanic bt I can do it without takin the battery box out in less than 20 min or so. I never changed the pilot jet but its the same idea   GOOD LUCK

IP Logged
savage777
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 08/23/05 at 16:55:58

the filter changed petc@ck to petthingy ....thats funny

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #6 - 08/23/05 at 16:58:43

It does that a lot.  The funniest one, I think, is p00n.  So it always changes sp00n to sthingy.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #7 - 08/23/05 at 17:00:54

s@ltw@ter saltwater - rates pretty good!

IP Logged
Jim_R
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 08/23/05 at 17:44:00

Hmm I wonder if its leaking because the other owner took out the white spacer.  Could be, seemed to be the thing to do years ago.. At least the improper thing to do.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/06/24 at 03:53:09

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › I have no idea how to rejet my carb..please help!!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.