Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Re: chopper kits
Reply #15 - 08/24/05 at 13:52:42

that is correct, i chopped into a bobber,  and my point of the discussion.  "I chopped it".  Grin   paulie build's customs for others.

and just because it's in the big book with lots of words in it, doesn't mean it's right.  but the words "your opionion" makes what you think of a chopper correct.  Smiley

i encourage others to think outside the factory drilled holes, and do some wild and crazy things with the basic platform.  and post the pictures, darn it.  

i guess what we're really talking about is the chromey-posers as was posted.  do you really think someone would ride the "capt america" in the mud, like i do thumper.  and honestly i wouldn't either.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #16 - 08/24/05 at 20:15:51

I would, and I have. We built one while prototyping the Panzer (R.I.P.) bikes. You know, the reproduction 48-65 HD Panheads out of Colorado. Handled the Mississippi red slop clay, sorta kinda tolerably.  FWIW, it's just a bike. And a lousy one at that. Handles like a blindfolded drunken pig trying to roller skate on greased ice.

ALL bobbers are choppers. Unfortunately, not all choppers are bobbers. Captain America and related bikes fall in the "caricture" class, along the Jesse Who's El Diablos and the OCC butt jewelry. And my old Savage for that matter.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
shawn_b
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 08/24/05 at 22:45:24

OCC butt jewelry LOL Roll Eyes WD YOU COME UP WITH THE BEST $HIT

SHAWN

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #18 - 08/25/05 at 03:57:24

Dynobob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
Just for fun, here's how the online dictionaries define "chopper":

Merriam-Webster dictionary:
7 : a customized motorcycle

dictionary.com:
6. Informal. A motorcycle, especially one that is customized.....

Dictionaries are authorative on how people use words.  As people are often incorrect in their usage, the dictionary will cite that incorrect usage.  Example:  Dictionary.com defines MUSCLE CAR as "A high-performance automobile, often with flashy, sporty styling. "  This is incorrect and simply reflects the general misuse of the term Muscle Car.  The Defining Muscle Car was the 1964 GTO, which was Pontiac's intermediate bodied Tempest with the 389 cid big block V8.  In the strictest meaning of the term, a muscle car is an american intermediate bodied automobile with a big block V8 -- the GTO, 442, GTX, GTA, RoadRunner, etc..  The Camaro, even with a big block, is a pony car, not a muscle car.  An LTD with a 460 police interceptor is a full size performance car, not a muscle car.

Others have used the term muscle car to refer to vehicles that are not muscle cars for the purpose of cloaking themselves with the muscle car mystique.  Purists sneer at them.

Similarly, the term chopper has a specific meaning to the purist.  Others have called custom bikes choppers in order to cloak themselves with the chopper mystique.  The origin of the term chopper came from post WWII when ex-GIs were riding flathead Harleys to  blow off steam and pent up frustration. They started racing these machines, but were being beat by the Brit bikes because the Brit bikes were lighter. So, being the innovative people that Americans are, they started "chopping" off the unnecessary parts that were not functional.  While a chopper can be customized and can have extended forks, a custom bike is not a chopper nor do entended forks turn an otherwise stock bike into a chopper.  Except for those poor deluded souls who do not know any better.

This only matters if you wish to be correct.  If you want to be a part of the great unwashed uneducated mass you may use the term chopper any way you wish.  You should know, however, such usage will show that you are, in fact, just one of the great unwashed uneducated mass; and your misinformed opinions will be ignored by the small minority that know better.

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #19 - 08/25/05 at 06:46:55

I agree with pretty much all of that with one simple caveat: language evolves.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Reply #20 - 08/25/05 at 11:30:45

But I don't.    Death is not when you leave the world, but when the world leaves you.

WWW   IP Logged
threezukes
Ex Member

Reply #21 - 08/26/05 at 04:29:11

If Cpt. America is not a real "chopper" then what should it be called?

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Reply #22 - 08/26/05 at 06:34:14

IMO, if the motorcycle started as stock and has had parts removed / replaced to reduce weight then it is a chopper.  Otherwise it is a custom built to look like a chopper.  A custom chopper as opposed to a true chopper.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/06/24 at 09:34:12

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › chopper kits

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.