Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Help, Stalls off idle, goes dead if idle too long (Read 9 times)
mew7789

Help, Stalls off idle, goes dead if idle too long
08/14/05 at 19:13:14

I drilled 4 3/8 " holes in my rear baffle last year. Rode all season with no problems and more power.  I havn't ridden much this year due to shoulder surgury.  Went out for the first time in 4 months. After 6 miles with bike running great it stumbled and popped once. I was in 5th gear at about 60mph.  I slowed to stop for a traffic light and the bike died. I trailered it home.  Removed carb and cleaned it. Reduced white spacer to 1/2 while I had it apart. Re assembled. Bike started up. after warm it will die if you quickly blip the throttle. If you roll it on a little slow it will rev on up.  I rode it, It is hard to launch without dieing but then runs great until you have to stop.  It doesn't die on decel. Just when you gas it to leave the stop.  If i pull the choke out 1/2 it will launch fine. Like an accelerator pump failure on an old car carb.
I,m wandering about the "transient enrichment valve" on the diagram. Any Ideas would be appreciated.  savage is a 95.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Re: Help, Stalls off idle, goes dead if idle too l
Reply #1 - 08/14/05 at 20:33:49

clog jet(s), or the needle diaphram is not lifting correct- be sure the spring is in there correct since it was apart, was the slide very clean when you put it back, and check for any holes in the diaphram

IP Logged
gazab44
2004 No Login

TO OLD TO DIE
YOUNG....

uk
Reply #2 - 08/15/05 at 03:33:26

I had similar not so long ago....turns out I'd lost the bloody little brass washer from the main jet  Embarrassed

MSN Messenger :- gazab44@hotmail.com

VISIT MY MY HOMEPAGE
WWW msn-gazab44@hotmail.com   IP Logged
mew7789
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 08/15/05 at 09:38:02

Thanks guys, I'll check the washer first tognite since I don't have to pull the carb for that.  As far as the slide goes, it has some light vertical scuffing. It was on there when I looked down the bore before disassembly. Is there a fuel filter some where? I bought this bike new in 95 and have had zero problems until now. Now thats Value!

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #4 - 08/15/05 at 09:54:27

there's one in the tank - well actually a screen - on the petc0ck - and another large debris blocker in the carb that sits above the float needle seat

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #5 - 08/15/05 at 22:10:39

Mine did those things when the plug got fouled.

Try changing the spark plug before you do anything else.  If it works good immediately afterwords, perhaps the idle screw is set too rich.

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
mew7789
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 08/18/05 at 06:05:05

Thanks for all the pointers.  I pulled the float bowl and removed the main jet to verify the washer was in place.
Replaced it. I removed the pilot jet and cleaned it. I had just sprayed it while installed before.  While these jets were out I gave each oriface a shot of card cleaner.
Put it all back to gether and it fired right up. The problem is 80%better.  Rode it down the road and it has like one little hickup if you instantly go full throttle from stop.  I was not preprared for the difference that White spacer made in power. Amazing!  I think I'll change the plug just to be safe.  Thanks again.

IP Logged
rkutzner
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 08/19/05 at 04:55:31

Wow, 4 3/8s holes?  I have my spacer down to closesr to 1/4 of original size (thickness of 2 #4 washers), idle mixture screw out to 2.5 (may need to go up in pilot before winter) and main  at 152.5.  This is with only a K&N and 2 1/4" holes in the rear muffler baffle.  This combo is giving me perfect power with no hiccups and nice plug color.  

Because of your 'hiccup', I'm wondering if you are still a little lean on the bottom end with that many baffle holes.  Maybe going up one size in pilot is in order.  What is your idle mixture screw set at?  If out more than 3 turns, conventional wisdom says go to the next size up pilot jet.

Just something to think about.....so exactly where did you put the 4 holes?  With the rivets and welds, I could only find 2 spots to drill.  Can you post a closeup pic?

IP Logged
mew7789
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 08/23/05 at 19:45:59

http://www.bikepics.com/pictures/414694/
Above is an Image of the Muffler On Bikepics.  

I let the bike set a day or two and it is worse now. It will start and run for about 60 seconds and quit. Took the carb back off and dissasembled to check.  Find nothing out of place. Have checked header for leaks and even temp plugged holes in muffler but no difference.  Does anybody have a source for rebuild kits for the mikuni.  I have removed the gas and replaced it as well.  If you start it and hold half throttle it will run a bit longer but will eventually die with a load backfire.  This thing failed running down the road, I can't help but think something is damaged.

Edited by Susan to fix picture link. Note to mew7789 -- the pic is so dark, I couldn't really see anything...

IP Logged
timk
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 09/10/05 at 09:57:22

Mine was doing the same thing. Turned out to be a dirty slide/bore. After getting warm the symptoms would appear. I really don't care for the CV carbs,  so I purchased a 38mm Mikuni. Haven't installed it yet.

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #10 - 09/10/05 at 09:59:50

Slide carb's, way to go.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #11 - 09/11/05 at 09:56:15

Check the rubber O-ring between the brass fuel valve  and the aluminum carburetor body. The EPA gas kills all the rubber components and this O-ring starts to leak and floods the carb.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
mew7789
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 09/14/05 at 07:12:01

The O ring looks great.  I have a feeling the idle mixture screw is not seating. From the photos posted on this site it looks like it is a lot farther down the hole than what I'm seeing on mine. If I'm not seating it then I am counting turns from the wrong place. Could Too rich cause this?   Also,  another post here recommends running some 2stroke oil in the gas to keep the slide lubed. Anybody doin that and how much.    Thanks.

IP Logged
mew7789
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 09/24/05 at 16:04:21

Bought a stock carb for a song off ebay and installed it today.  Same thing, I'm gonna pull my hair out. It will idle for maby 1 minute and start missing. If you hit the throttle it dies immediately. If you wait a minute and restart,take it to half throttle, it will run for like 3 minutes missing now and then and then die again.

IP Logged
torque
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

2008 nightster,flat
od green and black

rock hill,S.C.
Reply #14 - 09/24/05 at 17:25:02

are the jets in the new carb stock?
is there black smoke puffs coming out the end of the muffler?
sounds like its rich to me,check for any air leaks around the carb too

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/28/24 at 09:12:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Help, Stalls off idle, goes dead if idle too long

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.