Send Topic Print
Seat lift question (Read 12 times)
Tammi

The Devil drives a
Buick.

In the spliff bunker
Seat lift question
09/23/05 at 11:18:33

I have a question about the seat lift mods described in this Tech Corner thread:

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1109035237

I want to eliminate SBS (Sore Butt Syndrome), but I don't want to move any farther forward on my bike.

Does lifting the front of the stock seat as described in that thread push the rider forward?

I'm a tall gal (5' 11"), and I really don't want to be pushed any farther forward toward the handlebars, 'cause my fit on my Savage is tight enough as it is.

Thanks. Tammi

P.S. Hey, Savage_Rob, did you notice that I didn't post this question in the Tech Corner?  Wink

I'm not a part of a redneck agenda.
-- Green Day
=========
When Jesus said “Love your enemies” ... I’m pretty sure he meant not to kill them.
  IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Re: Seat lift question
Reply #1 - 09/23/05 at 11:39:49

it angles you back to a better seating position.  

honestly, the only real cure to monkee butt is lots of saddle time. others swear by jell seats and the like, but my experience is it's saddle time.  it's the "no pain, no gain theory".   also for long rides i pop a couple of advil, or aleve in a preemptive attack.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
clueless-FSO

Birmingham, Al
Reply #2 - 09/23/05 at 12:27:29

Yep, It keeps me from sliding closer to the tank. Made a big difference to me.

Jim

'96 Black "bed liner" paint.. Ed_L forward controls, HD bars with 1"socket risers, 155 main, pod filter, HD exhaust, punched baffle, modded seat, chain drive conversion, slavy mod
one of a kind
WWW   IP Logged
Jim_R
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 09/23/05 at 13:45:19

Actually Tammy if u raise the front up on the seat enough it should help ya stay back from the gas tank.  I raised mine with rubber stoppers and it seems to work better than stock.  It helped a little on the fanny but not much. My butt gets numb like after 45 miles insted of 30.

The stock seat is poorly designed in my opinion and maybe replacing it with a pillow gel seat seems to be a growing trend.  $163.00 is alot of money but it could be worth it if you ride your bike long distances.  I would like to get one and maybe a drivers backrest but I am not willing to pay for it.  It seems that a backrest might take the weight off ur rear a little too.

IP Logged
diesel
2004 No Login

Watsontown, PA
Reply #4 - 09/23/05 at 22:14:02

seat up 'bout an inch,Pro-Tac drivers back rest, alaskaleather sheepskin, more than tripples the time to monkey butt. just delays it, dosen't cure it, like sluggo says, only time in saddle will do that.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #5 - 09/24/05 at 07:33:14

As other's have said...."saddle time" is the biggest solution...short of getting a new seat.

The monkey butt comes from the flexible plastic pan on the stock seat.  After a period of time, the seat is compressed and sitting on the frame and all road vibration goes straight thru to the butt.  You can raise the front up, if you want.  It changes the seat angle but does little else since the rear mounts are still on the frame.....and most butt pain is in the tail bone area.

While you are raising the front, pull off the rubber bumper in the middle of the seat...the one that sits against the fender....to me that one is connected directly to the tail bone when you are riding.

IP Logged
Tammi

The Devil drives a
Buick.

In the spliff bunker
Reply #6 - 09/26/05 at 08:17:15

Jim_R wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
Actually Tammy if u raise the front up on the seat

Who is this "Tammy" you speak of?  Wink

Anyway, thanks everyone for the advice.

I'll be doing the seat mod soon. And maybe I'll not only remove the rubber bumper in the middle of the seat, but I'll put something better (softer, but less compressible) in its place.

Thanks. Tammi

I'm not a part of a redneck agenda.
-- Green Day
=========
When Jesus said “Love your enemies” ... I’m pretty sure he meant not to kill them.
  IP Logged
Tony
2004 No Login

Saugerties, NY
Reply #7 - 09/26/05 at 15:28:50

Tammi,

I know the feeling when it comes to name spelling. There are people who often put an 'i' at the end of my name. I have been know to verify my gender to make the point (though it does matter who I am with and where I am at the time)

-Tony

......Remember;
Where ever you go,
there you are.
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #8 - 09/27/05 at 05:28:36

Tammi wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
P.S. Hey, Savage_Rob, did you notice that I didn't post this question in the Tech Corner?  Wink

You bet!

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Jim_R
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 09/27/05 at 08:15:32

I have been looking for an old seat because I thought it would be kewl to make my own.  Wal-mart has a gel seat cover  for a bicycle that only cost like 13.95 and it is thick.  Maybe if I removed some foam material and replaced it with the gel it would make a difference.

IP Logged
franchi

Reply #10 - 09/27/05 at 10:40:11

lifting the front really helps. the guy I purchased my savage from had moved the rear blinkers to the fender and eliminated the need for the 2"rubber bushing. However I still have the rubber bushings which have a steel sleeve inside them. My plan is to cut them down to 1.5" , and shave them so they fit in the tank grommets. this will be stronger than just a rubber stopper due to the metal sleeves.

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #11 - 09/27/05 at 15:31:16

I didn't use rubber stoppers to raise the front of the seat, instead I used inch long metal spacers and some washers. Worked fine and looks good. It's important to support the middle of the seat so it doesn't sag. I used a 1/2 inch long piece of thick walled fuel line that was tie wrapped to the frame where the seat bumpers hit. The tie wrap goes around the frame and through the piece of fuel line, so far it works great. Oh yeah, the only way to get rid of SBS is to get a lot of riding in and get your butt used to the seat.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
clueless-FSO

Birmingham, Al
Reply #12 - 09/27/05 at 17:14:22

I did the seat mod too, but then modified the seat itself. I took an electric knife and shaved the hump(for lack of a better name) off the back of the seat. Then I bought some thick, kind of fibrous material, sold in sheets in the craft section. Cut to fit the seat and then recovered with the original seat cover. It was really easy to do, and now it is easier to slide back on the seat. A staple gun is all that is required to recover. I really could stand a bigger bike, but the "fun for the buck" factor keeps me modifying!!

Jim

'96 Black "bed liner" paint.. Ed_L forward controls, HD bars with 1"socket risers, 155 main, pod filter, HD exhaust, punched baffle, modded seat, chain drive conversion, slavy mod
one of a kind
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/27/24 at 23:22:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Seat lift question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.