Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Old newbie (Read 6 times)
crocodile
Ex Member

Old newbie
08/11/05 at 20:50:48

Hi guys and gals.  I've been reading this site since I got my Savage about 4 months ago. I think I've read everything. Recently retired and looking to regain my youth. Last time I owned a bike was 44 years ago.  Took and passed my test over a year ago and have been looking for the perfect bike (for me - 170 and 5'9").  Found it at a garage sale, yellow 2000, beaten up a bit but not too bad with a salvage title.  I was looking for a project too and here it was! He wanted $1800 for it, I left it a week, and to my surprise he took $1000. 1950 miles on the clock too!!  Spent about $450 on it (amazing how it mounts up when you order from a dealership).  I've learned so much from you guys and I have to thank you so much for all the tips, pics, and just down right good info. Done the white spacer, mixture screw, stainless carb screws, petcock to on and off, K&N drop in, put some buckhorns on her, the seat mod. I received today my Mac Muffler - going to change the main jet to 155 - waiting for gaskets to arrive. Has anyone put a Mac on a 2000? Is that 1"x1" tab with a hole in it near the muffler joint for the heatshield? Stock heatshield doesn't fit.  Another problem is the brake light switch cable that nestles right above the brake cable by the footrest behind header pipe. There is nowhere to hook the nipple to - am I missing a part or what? I know I saw something about this a few weeks ago but I can't find it now.

IP Logged
DavidV
Ex Member

Re: Old newbie
Reply #1 - 08/11/05 at 22:17:16

I'm a new newbie myself -  only ridden 800 miles or so total since May, but I'm working on it.

Welcome to the party!

IP Logged
crocodile
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 08/11/05 at 22:33:12

Thanks David, I havn't done as many miles as that yet, I've only just got it rideable and I don't want to put the exhaust system back on until I've got the brake light cable thingy sorted

IP Logged
Karen627
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 08/11/05 at 23:06:54

Can't help you with the technical questions, but I wanted to say hi and welcome.  Grin

IP Logged
crocodile
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 08/11/05 at 23:21:23

Thanks Karen.

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #5 - 08/12/05 at 00:16:44

8)Welcome crocodile ... from a 3 year veteran and still a newbie! There are some great techies and wrenchers on this site ... but like the previous posters, I ain't one of 'em!
Enjoy your Savage and Ride Safe!

Perry,
Newfoundland, Canada

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
gazab44
2004 No Login

TO OLD TO DIE
YOUNG....

uk
Reply #6 - 08/12/05 at 01:37:52

[glow=red,2,300]WELCOME [/glow]

There will always be someone on this site to answer your questions. And if we can't there will always be the friendly banter  Wink

MSN Messenger :- gazab44@hotmail.com

VISIT MY MY HOMEPAGE
WWW msn-gazab44@hotmail.com   IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #7 - 08/12/05 at 05:05:34

Welcome to the "best" Savage forum.

The brakelight switch cable is connected with a spring on the switch side.
The other side connects to the same place as the main brake cable. It's a little angled piece bent 90 degrees with 2 holes.
Maybe this picture helps

Greetz
Kropatchek Grin

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #8 - 08/12/05 at 06:21:44

Welcome aboard and thanks for reading first!  Regarding the MAC muffler, the stock heat shield did fit; its bell shape just looked stupid.  The best option is to leave it off and use a generic heatshield.  Several are available.  One inexpensive version is at J. C. Whitney.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
crocodile
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 08/12/05 at 08:00:00

Thanks all of you for your welcomes. Thanks Kropatchek for the great pic, perfect duh, I found it right away with a mirror, could have used a finger but I wasn't sure what I was looking for. It looks like the inner has seized up and pulled the nipple through the hole.Rob thanks for the h/shield pic, I had seen it before but if I remember correctly (and I might not have) it wasn't in connection with a Mac

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #10 - 08/12/05 at 08:48:45

welcome!  You stole that savage! what a deal!

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #11 - 08/12/05 at 09:04:20

Welcome to THE Savage site on the internet...at least on this side of the English speaking world.  You did very well on your deal indeed, $1000 for less than 2000 miles just makes you want to smile.  Your gain, the other guys loss.
ENJOY
RIDE WELL

IP Logged
crocodile
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 08/12/05 at 18:24:12

Vroom, Lancer, thanks for the welcome, I hope I can help someone else out  in the future just as all you guys have unknowingly been tutoring me for the last few months. I feel like I've taken a college course on the LS.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #13 - 08/12/05 at 18:38:13

Welcome aboard - and by the way if any of your family is given you grief about the new ride - have them read chapter 1 of Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance if they still give you grief - well they're just ignorant.

IP Logged
Spartan71
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 08/13/05 at 07:02:31

I've been kind of lurking as well.  It's been 28 years since I rode.  This time I'm doing it right by taking the MSF class.  Showed me a lot of things I did wrong back when.  Got my 2002 at a dealership here in town and just love it.  Paid a little too much, but it's all good.  I'm definitely not a wrencher, but I'll be doing my first oil and filter change soon.  Happy, safe riding!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 02:31:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Old newbie

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.