Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Installing Saddlebags (Read 7 times)
jhargen
Ex Member

Installing Saddlebags
08/13/05 at 07:53:02

I just installed Suzuki's saddlebag supports under the fenders and the support on the left sticks out about 2 inches further than the one on the right.  Holding them up together, one is "longer" than the other.  

It looks like it might unbalance the bike.  I thought maybe it's because the belt drive is on the side with the longer end, but I still have to wonder again about balance.  Perhaps I was shipped two versions of saddlebag supports?

Is this correct?

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Re: Installing Saddlebags
Reply #1 - 08/13/05 at 07:58:14

Yes.

Regarding balance.  While riding in a straight line shift you weight off-center.   Note that the bike doesn't care a whole lot.

Coming home from the store I'll carry two gallons of milk in one bag (16 pounds) and nothing in the other.  No problem.

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #2 - 08/13/05 at 15:59:13

Yeah, but you have those wickedly cool bags too.  They probably have gyroscopic suspension equalizers to accomplish it.

Just kidding...  I love those bags.  They're going on my someday list.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
SniperZ
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 08/14/05 at 12:08:02

The left side is wider because the shock is out further, this is because the Belt Drive is on that side.  That's the way they're supposed to be.  When I mounted my bags under the seat, I just set them up so that they were at an even height.  Don't worry about unbalancing the bike with little things like saddlebags and what they can carry.  If you were going to throw extra 100 lbs on one side you would have something to worry about.  

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Reply #4 - 08/14/05 at 13:42:09

If you want to have fun balancing the bike, get someone on the pillion who tries to stay vertical to the world rather than leaning with the bike.

WWW   IP Logged
jhargen
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 08/16/05 at 07:49:06

Thanks all for your help.   I installed the supports and added a sissy bar.  With everything installed, it looks just fine.

I appreciate it!

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Reply #6 - 08/16/05 at 12:26:55

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
Yeas, but you have those wickedly cool bags too.  They probably have gyroscopic suspension equalizers to accomplish it.

Just kidding...  I love those bags.  They're going on my someday list.

I notice in the aux. gas tank thread that DaQueen has a pair on her bike.  One of the nice things about this site is seeing what others have done and doing the same.  The Superbrace is probably next on my goodie list.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 01:55:10

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Installing Saddlebags

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.