Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
I'm buying a used Savage and i need tips (Read 12 times)
Tiuna
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

shhh.... calm down,
it's all a dream

South FL
I'm buying a used Savage and i need tips
07/27/05 at 08:32:06

Hi,
After some research I have decided to buy a used LS650. I need to get the most bang for my bucks because I don’t have many… what I really want is for someone to tell me what common problems should I be looking for when buying a used savage. I don’t want to end up buying a bike and later find out that I have to spend more money fixing problems I could have easily avoided if I had known what to look for at the time of the test ride. I’m going to see this one on the weekend http://adcache.cycletrader.com/5/2/1/80153921.htm tell me what you think about it.

IP Logged
realdeal

Thumpity, thumpity,
thump...

Re: I'm buying a used Savage and i need tips
Reply #1 - 07/27/05 at 08:38:15

There are lots of things to look out for, but i'll just list the on that burned me.  

Make sure that the bike hasn't been warmed up before you look at it.  My bike, for instance, has some carb issues that mostly go away when the bike is fully warmed.  (won't idle until all the way warm . . . have to sit there an work the throttle to keep it running until it's warm).  The seller knew what time i was coming, and made sure the bike was warm before i got there.  

Said he just wanted to take her for one last ride before it was sold, but ensured me it was running perfectly.  

Oh well, live and learn.  I'm not too upset by it, as i've learned a lot about bikes and carbs by having to fix it.  

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #2 - 07/27/05 at 15:48:26

Can't tell what type of exhaust is on it, if it is all stock then it should be fine. What's the milage

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #3 - 07/27/05 at 17:04:05

Make sure the kickstand interlock switch works. Expensive to replace if you won'y do the 25 cent bypass. Ditto the clutch interlock switch. The shifter linkage is pot metal, make sure it isn't bent. NOT the shifter arm, the little piece you can't see unless you lay on the ground.

Otherwise, a fairly normal small motorcycle. Brakes are inexpensive, simple to reload the drum and caliper. Fork springs are a bit soft if you weigh more than 190 pounds, ditto the rear shocks. Headlight bucket is plastic, so don't use a handlebar mounted tool roll without changing the bucket. Stock tires are garbage, ANYTHING is an improvement. Grease the throttle sleeve and lube the cables, I can pretty much guaratee it has never been done (and makes a world of difference). Turn signals tend to fill up with water, so check function at least once a day. A liitle bit of clear silicone fixes that right up.

I enjoyed my 1998 model. Beat on it for 7.5 years without any major issues. My stepson loves the bike as well, so, it's now his. I think you'll find it to be the same for you.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Goose
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 07/27/05 at 18:34:30

if the bike looks good and sounds good looks like deal to me i gave 1800 for a 95 two years ago with 13000 miles it now has over 22000 miles and i figure if it blows up next time out i've 1800 dollars worth of fun out of it. one other thing is the head cap plug leak, my has it and i have not fixed it it is more of a seep than a leak but just check the oil level each time you fill up.

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #5 - 07/28/05 at 03:11:54

To check the head cap plug leak: When the engine is cold put your finger in the cavity of the head next to the exhaust, if its wet of oil , there's the plug leak. You can ofcourse look inside.
Check the bike has not been dropped.

Greetz
Kropatchek Grin

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
roughrider
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 07/30/05 at 17:18:52

I recently purchased a 05 suzuki S-40 Boulevard. Formerly called "savage". This bike is a great looking bike that is very affordable. I have had problems with it back firing. It has on two different occasions blew out a gasket in the exhaust pipe. It sounds more like a lawnmower than a bike. The dealership says "What do you expect for $4300 ". I think if it looks good  it should sound good. It has turned my chrome pipes yellow and blue. The manufacturer offers no remedies in correcting this problem. The bike runs very well. I have put almost 4000 miles on this bike in about 3 months. I travel to work 38 miles each way. All highway at about 75 mph. I have concerns that the dealership nor the manufacturer wish to address. I will get my use out of this bike but vow never to buy another. I have read alot of posting where people make jokes about the back firing and they say it gives it character. I think it is embarassing. It is a real shame that this bike looks so good but sounds so bad. shame on you suzuki! Angry

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #7 - 07/30/05 at 19:14:08

Actually you can blame the Greens and the EPA and such -- the backfiring is a direct product of trying to meet emmissions requirements.  You can stop the backfiring by correcting what Suzuki had to do to please those who claim that an SUV getting 8 miles per gallon puts out less harmful emissions than a motorcycle getting 60 miles per gallon.

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #8 - 07/30/05 at 23:16:26

RoughRider wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
I recently purchased a 05 suzuki S-40 Boulevard. Formerly called "savage". This bike is a great looking bike that is very affordable. I have had problems with it back firing. It has on two different occasions blew out a gasket in the exhaust pipe. It sounds more like a lawnmower than a bike. The dealership says "What do you expect for $4300 ". I think if it looks good  it should sound good. It has turned my chrome pipes yellow and blue. The manufacturer offers no remedies in correcting this problem. The bike runs very well. I have put almost 4000 miles on this bike in about 3 months. I travel to work 38 miles each way. All highway at about 75 mph. I have concerns that the dealership nor the manufacturer wish to address. I will get my use out of this bike but vow never to buy another. I have read alot of posting where people make jokes about the back firing and they say it gives it character. I think it is embarassing. It is a real shame that this bike looks so good but sounds so bad. shame on you suzuki! Angry

Do some searches on the site and pay particulare attention to the white spacer mods, rejetting and the idle-mixture screw.  You can correct the backfiring almost completely, stop the bluing and improve performance along the way.  In short, instead of completely reengineering a low-profit-margin bike to satisfy EPA requirements, they tweaked it to make it run very lean... too lean.  If your state does emissions testing though, you'll want to rethink any changes.  In Texas, they don't test emissions on bikes but I keep my stock parts so I can return it to its original state if I should need to.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Hammy211
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 07/31/05 at 03:25:13

RoughRider wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:

Buy yourself a $30 sportster muffler follow the advice found on THIS SITE on carb adjustment and stop bitching.  I wouldn't buy from a dealer who treated me like that either but it's still a great bike especially for the money.  Even 20k bikes need tinkered with every once in a while.

IP Logged
GaThumper

Powder Springs, GA USA
Reply #10 - 07/31/05 at 05:30:59

The ad says "all day comfort at 70+ mph" or something like that - don't expect that - you'll want to get off the  seat periodically to get rid of monkey butt, and the bike naturally has some vibration.   It is a good, solid bike that is pretty easy to work on & easy to handle.  The add says propad seats, but they look like the stock seats in the photo so just make sure the pro pad cushion has been added to they stock padding or they include the pads that sit on top of the seats.  Also check the tires to see how much tread they have left.

IP Logged
Tiuna
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

shhh.... calm down,
it's all a dream

South FL
Reply #11 - 08/01/05 at 09:25:17

Thank you guys !!!
I bought the biker and couldn’t be happier.  The bike is not perfect but most the problems are cosmetics. The previous owner lives in the FL keys, had the bike on a boat and would only use it whenever it was ducked. I paid $1500. It came with the saddlebags, windshield, a cover, a disc break lock, a kryptonite lock and cable, and best of all propad seats. The paint and chrome look awful from being in a boat as you can imagine. But the bike is a 2000 and has about 6500 miles. The only mechanical problem it has is the constant backfiring and already knew that that was an issue common to Savages. Coming from the keys I gunned the throttle got 90 mph and it could have gone a bit faster but the turbulence was too much. The engine is impressively strong and smooth. Soon I’ll start the cosmetic work and hopefully rejuvenate this old thumper.  8)  

IP Logged
bentwheel
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ride free, citizen

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Reply #12 - 08/01/05 at 09:58:03

Congratulations on the purchase. I think you got a good one considering it already has all the popular options.

Bentwheel FSO
2006 Suzuki 650 V-Strom
1977 Yamaha XS360
1972 Honda CL175
  IP Logged
shawn_b
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 08/01/05 at 10:57:45

i have a 2000 with 7800 clicks on it i adj. the fule mixer screw and it still backfires but olny a 1/4 as much as it did before it not perfect but it  sure beats spending
7 to 25 grand on a harley $hiterson  ??? 8) Roll Eyes the reason there so cheap is so you can afford to fix them up

shawn

IP Logged
CHRIS
2005 No Login

FRIENDSVILLE, MARYLAND
Reply #14 - 08/02/05 at 21:56:03

To Roughrider: just look in some of these threads and adjust that air/fuel screw out . Here in MD they check emissions when you get it inspected (one time) and then you're free to do as you wish (I suppose). Even the 4-wheelers I work on everyday have this same issue, overheat in the summer- won't start in the winter, they're just set-up to lean.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 03:07:56

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › I'm buying a used Savage and i need tips

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.