Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Stock Muffler (Read 6 times)
r80rt
Ex Member

Stock Muffler
08/17/05 at 18:09:47

Has anyone removed the stock muffler and drilled the inner baffles from the inlet end and left the outlet alone? I think it should give a deeper tone without being too loud. What do you think?

Only a fool would attempt it, and God help me, I am that fool.
  IP Logged
dannimal
2005 No Login

Chicago IL (S/W Suburbs)
Re: Stock Muffler
Reply #1 - 08/18/05 at 00:17:13

To make a long story short, get an aftermarket muffler and it will save you alot of time and hassle. You're going to have to do the carb mods as well. If you do anything to the exhaust (like you mentioned about drilling,) the bike will run poorly. Follow the steps in the posts on this site and you will do far better with the least expense and time. Lancer is very knowledgeable about these mods. (Both for the exhaust mufflers and carb mods and total replacement to performance carb setup) 

-95 black savage- Supertrapp exhaust- K&N filter- custom mirrors & grips- Metzler 880's
  IP Logged
r80rt
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 08/18/05 at 03:50:56

The carb mods are done and the sportster muffler is on, the bike runs perfect. I was just wondering about working on the stock muffler for a bit better sound, I've done it on other bikes and was curious to see if it had been tried on a savage. Thanks for the advice

IP Logged
DavidV
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 08/18/05 at 05:40:43

Here's a fellow who did some mods to his stock muffler:

http://www.jonline.org/savage/Tips___How-to_s/tips___how-to_s.html

Check out the Hartmann mod as well.

I don't think it's been done from the inlet end, but if you've got time and a drill, why not give it a shot?

IP Logged
SavageRider
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 08/18/05 at 16:40:26

r80rt wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
The carb mods are done and the sportster muffler is on, the bike runs perfect. I was just wondering about working on the stock muffler for a bit better sound, I've done it on other bikes and was curious to see if it had been tried on a savage. Thanks for the advice

How did the sportster muffler sound after you installed it? Was it any deeper?

IP Logged
shawn_b
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 08/18/05 at 22:37:01

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1100726448
check it out for your self Shocked that for you savage rob  8)

shawn

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #6 - 08/19/05 at 06:48:23

shawn_b wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1100726448
check it out for your self Shocked that for you savage rob  8)

shawn

What am I supposed to be checking out?  Did I ask about something in this thread?

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
r80rt
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 08/19/05 at 16:43:01

The sportster muffler worked out great, a little deeper and a little louder. I had a pipe made at the muffler shop 8 inches long with a 10 degree bend and one end expanded to fit over the header, I paid a whole four bucks for this. The Whitney heat shield and the rear mounting bracket I made worked out very good.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 05:19:57

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Stock Muffler

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.