PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Re: harley look-a-likes
Reply #1 - 07/24/05 at 11:15:12

WinkC'mon shawn ... a Bike is a Bike is a Bike ... they're all good ... in fact H.D. has set the style "benchmark" for many Japanese-built Cruisers (i.e. Vulcan 800A similar to Softail Standard, 'Zuki Intruder 1500 similar to H.D. Fatboy, etc.). Even our beloved LS650's are equal parts Classic Brit Thumper and Harley Sportster.
Like it or not, Harleys are not only "American Icons", but Icons of the motorcycle world in general.

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
shawn_b
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 07/24/05 at 11:18:10

why cant they go back to the 70's&80's look  ???

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #3 - 07/24/05 at 11:26:12

Hi shawn ... you must be on-line now as well ... as for the 70's/80's look ... well, lets just say that beauty is in the eye of the beholder ... each decade as had it's style winners and losers as far as m/c's go ... the so-called Baby Boomers have been the largest segment of the Bike buying demographic in recent years ... and are drawn to familiar styles that are influenced by the classic Bikes of even earlier decades (you know, the full fendered look, the chopper look, the bobber look, et al ...). It's all about the numbers baby ...

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
shawn_b
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 07/24/05 at 11:33:16

that true i just wish i had a choice not look a like hd or death trap\sportbikes

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #5 - 07/24/05 at 11:38:01

8)Well shawn ... have a look for a 2000/01 Kawasaki W650 ... vertical twin, classic Bonneville look-a-like or a mint shape 1989/90 Honda GB500TT ... a single cylinder classic "Cafe Racer" look-a-like ... both beautiful machines!

WWW   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #6 - 07/24/05 at 11:43:36

You have to separate the motorcycle from the people -- both the corporate management that pimps out the Harley name/logo and the RUBs and Posers and Want-a-bees that purchase them without understanding what they are getting.

Just to help you along, this is a Harley Rider:

As for choices, Triumph has the Bonneville looking very much like it did in the '60's.  

WWW   IP Logged
shawn_b
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 07/24/05 at 11:49:44

lol  Grin Wink

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #8 - 07/24/05 at 11:49:53

They build what the market wants. And the market wants V-twins. The only inline 4s they sell are those repli-racer plastic fantastic 2 wheeled coffins. Which folks out here buy as powertrain donors. There is a bobber that comes into work running a GSX-R 1100 motor in a classic Amen style swingarm frame. Others are rigid ZX9, rigid FJ1200, of course the CBRs in classic chopper frames, etc. The death knell sounded for the 4s a long time ago.
Good bad or indifferent, yuppies want v-twins. And yuppies drive the consumer market. You want a nice 4? I've got a 1978 CB750K for sale at work. $1695, as is, where is. You pick up.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #9 - 07/24/05 at 11:56:15

Maybe it's just me but I'm almost getting to where there are very few truly ugly bikes.  Some aren't my style and some are more comfortable than others but they're all bikes.  I am a fan of both the old Indian Chiefs and the latest BMW 1200's (though I'd prefer the same bike with an 800cc engine of the same design).

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
shawn_b
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 07/24/05 at 11:57:53

i would love one but 1.i live in ohio 2.if the thing dies are parts easy to find 3.that why they go use by the balls ??? Embarrassed

shawn

p.s die yuppie scum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #11 - 07/24/05 at 11:59:00

WD wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
Good bad or indifferent, yuppies want v-twins. And yuppies drive the consumer market.

I think they're mostly middle-aged now though.  Does that make them mauppies?

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #12 - 07/24/05 at 12:17:13

Shawn, to answer your questions... Carb kits are 69-74, 75-77, 79-end of production run. 1978 bike needs earler or later carbs installed when the rack goes bad for any reason, no aftermarket carb parts for 1978. Headlight is a proprietary sealed beam that "Honduh" no longer makes. Everything else is available. Cheap trash Taiwanese knock-off stuff, but, it's there and it's affordable.

Getting in a 1982 CB750F-SS later in the week. You want a "giant killer" vintage four? You buy the bike, I'll ride it to your door step. Just buy me a train ticket to get home. I DON'T fly anymore.
-WD

Oh, my new helmet sticker says it all. Silly Yuppies, Trailers Are For BOATS!!!

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #13 - 07/24/05 at 12:20:36

Love that sticker!

Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #14 - 07/24/05 at 15:46:32

LOL  Grin

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/04/24 at 19:16:24

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › harley look-a-likes

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.