Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
My first bike, and its a Savage! - Questions (Read 7 times)
Weez
Ex Member

My first bike, and its a Savage! - Questions
07/24/05 at 19:59:54

Hey all,

I recenlty bought a 1986 Suzuki Savage after owning a scooter for 2 years.  I am just learning to drive it and loving every minute!  I have a few questions concerning the Savage:

What are some of the best accesories/mods for this bike?  I know there is not much for after market parts, but there must be some things.

I would like to get a cheap chrome liscence plate frame, anyone know a good place online to get one?

When washing, what should I be using to get it spotless?  What should I do for a polish/wax?

Any tips out there for a new Savage owner?

Thanks for all the help, this forum is a wonderful resource.

-Weez Grin

IP Logged
sniperjim
Ex Member

Re: My first bike, and its a Savage! - Questions
Reply #1 - 07/24/05 at 20:08:51

Your question is such an open ended one!  Search the boards in the technical column and you will get a wealth of knowledge.  There is no mod that can not be done with the savage......remember 90% of a harley is metric.

Welcome to the wonderful world of the wind in your face and the sore @ss you will get if you don't do the seat mod!!!!!!!

IP Logged
Jim_R
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 07/24/05 at 20:37:09

I would check http://www.ebaymotors.  There is alot of awesome stuff on there for cheap!

IP Logged
Weez
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 07/24/05 at 21:07:48

hey yah ebay is decent.

Just wanted to add, has anyone added a helmet lovk/locks?  I notice it does not have one.

Also, the fork locking mechanism that locks the wheel to the side so it can't be stolen on my bike is missing the key.  Can I replace this?

thanks

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #4 - 07/24/05 at 21:45:38

Weez wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
hey yah ebay is decent.

Just wanted to add, has anyone added a helmet lovk/locks?  I notice it does not have one.

Also, the fork locking mechanism that locks the wheel to the side so it can't be stolen on my bike is missing the key.  Can I replace this?

thanks

Oh, you are sure to get advice in this forum  Grin

Most Savages have a helmet lock on the right side of the rear fender.  If you don't have one...well, check to see if there is something missing on the right side rear fender rail.

I would go to the dealer to ask about a key for the fork lock.....

IP Logged
Karen627
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 07/24/05 at 23:13:20

Hey all,

I would like to get a cheap chrome liscence plate frame, anyone know a good place online to get one?

When washing, what should I be using to get it spotless?  What should I do for a polish/wax?

Hi Weez!  Welcome, and congrats on the bike!

I got my license plate frame from http://www.jpcycles.com/.  They have a decent selection.

I use HondaBrite for washing; it's pretty quick, and works really well.  

For a long, drawn-out wax and polish, I use Carnauba car wax for the painted parts; Mother's chrome polish for, yes, the chrome; Mother's Mag and Aluminum polish for the rest of the metal; and Plexus on the lenses over the headlight and turn signals.  I use the diaper soft cloths for all of that.

Enjoy. Grin

IP Logged
threezukes
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 07/25/05 at 00:05:04

hey yah ebay is decent.

I didn't have one on my bike either.  I think the previous owner took it off.  Anyways, you can get helmet locks from http://www.jpcycles.com/  that clamp onto your handle bars.  Thats what I use or you can just get a wire lock and lock it to your sissy bar.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #7 - 07/25/05 at 05:43:10

Let me add my promo for Jpcycles.com.  It is a Harley parts company but like another has said, a lot of the stuff fits the Savage as well...mirrors, grips, pegs, carbs, some seats, controls, ...loads of stuff.  
JP has good prices, they ship fast, and if there is a problem and you  need to return something it is no problem at all.  I have used them for several years and have never had a problem.

IP Logged
Weez
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 07/25/05 at 08:08:05

Thanks for all the replies...

So, when it comes to mufflers/exhaust I was wondering what is a good fit for the savage/  I just want something simple that'll give me pretty much the same sound, maybe a bit louder, because mine is all scraped on the bottom.  

Also, when you are riding where do you keep you passengers helmet if you have no helmet?  On the backrest or what?  I have saddlebags on mine, maybe thats why I cannot find a helmet lock.

thanks

Weez

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/04/24 at 23:55:02

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › My first bike, and its a Savage! - Questions

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.