Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Jeans on Fire! Thanks for your help! (Read 15 times)
Paula71
2005 No Login

Ohio Rider 'N Luvn
every minute!

Troy, Ohio
Jeans on Fire! Thanks for your help!
07/15/05 at 19:50:57

Hey all.  Okay jeans didnt really catch on fire, but they are smolder'n.  Two times in the last week while riding I have experienced scorched denim, and felt it once! This occurs during the ride with my feet on the pegs. It is at my calf just below my knee where the engine is.  Bike is now at 1200miles. The more miles the more lean it gets?  My question is does this sound like it is time to get that jet kit I keep reading about? White spacer and idle mixture screw?  Or is there another explanation here?  Undecided

WWW sctsamj sctsamj   IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Re: Jeans on Fire! Jet kit time?
Reply #1 - 07/15/05 at 21:06:22

I would re-jet the bike - it will run cooler -
you really don't need no stinking kit - just a 150 or a 152.5 main jet, a little less spacer, pull the plug over the idle mixture screw and gently close it (clockwise) and bring it back out 1.5-1.75 turns and your good to go

IP Logged
Paula71
2005 No Login

Ohio Rider 'N Luvn
every minute!

Troy, Ohio
Reply #2 - 07/15/05 at 21:39:48

Thank you for the information, will be doing for sure, was rereading some of the older threads and locating some things on the bike, wondered about an entire kit, I'll be getting that new main jet then. Thanks again SmileyReelthing wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
I would re-jet the bike - it will run cooler -
you really don't need no stinking kit - just a 150 or a 152.5 main jet, a little less spacer, pull the plug over the idle mixture screw and gently close it (clockwise) and bring it back out 1.5-1.75 turns and your good to go

Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #3 - 07/16/05 at 08:00:04

Paula71 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
Hey all.  Okay jeans didnt really catch on fire, but they are smolder'n.  Two times in the last week while riding I have experienced scorched denim, and felt it once! This occurs during the ride with my feet on the pegs. It is at my calf just below my knee where the engine is.  Bike is now at 1200miles. The more miles the more lean it gets?  My question is does this sound like it is time to get that jet kit I keep reading about? White spacer and idle mixture screw?  Or is there another explanation here?  Undecided

First, why is your denim touching the engine?  Is it REALLY scorched is that just figurative?  Usually you can feel heat radiating off the engine in hot summer traffic, but you are still a long way from spontaneous combustion.

Second, "lean" is not a condition that developes with miles.  You can change the jetting if you want to modify the performance of the engine, but it isn't mandatory for any stock bike.  Also, if you consider that various parts of an engine are running at temps of several hundred degrees, you will understand that you will get burned even if you change the jetting....what is a just few degrees to an engine will still inflict a 2nd - 3rd degree burn on you.

Okay, back to "jeans on fire"....all our bikes are essentially the same and the only way that I have been burned is by direct contact with the wrong part.  Let me ask, do you ride with your legs tightly clamped on the gas tank?

IP Logged
Paula71
2005 No Login

Ohio Rider 'N Luvn
every minute!

Troy, Ohio
Reply #4 - 07/17/05 at 05:42:48

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
First, why is your denim touching the engine?  Is it REALLY scorched is that just figurative?  Usually you can feel heat radiating off the engine in hot summer traffic, but you are still a long way from spontaneous combustion.My denim is not touching , that is what bothers me. And yes, the denim is brownish in color like a slow smoldering, when riding at 55mph the heat on my right leg is very noticable. I do not recall this feeling of extra heat just a few weeks back.
Second, "lean" is not a condition that developes with miles.  You can change the jetting if you want to modify the performance of the engine, but it isn't mandatory for any stock bike.  Also, if you consider that various parts of an engine are running at temps of several hundred degrees, you will understand that you will get burned even if you change the jetting....what is a just few degrees to an engine will still inflict a 2nd - 3rd degree burn on you. I have not physically touched any parts though ??? It is to high up on my leg to even be an exhaust burn when my feet are down. You are saying that this is not a problem do to extra heat from an engine running too hot? That rejetting will not cool the engine temp to a degree that this would not happen? Should I be looking at other concerns?  Maybe a trip to the stealership?

Okay, back to "jeans on fire"....all our bikes are essentially the same and the only way that I have been burned is by direct contact with the wrong part.  Let me ask, do you ride with your legs tightly clamped on the gas tank?
]This happened going straight down the road, my legs are not clamped to the tank, only in tight curves. I have sat on the bike not moving, feet on pegs and can not make my legs touch the engine.[/color] Thanks for helping me figure this out Smiley

Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #5 - 07/17/05 at 07:56:44

]This happened going straight down the road, my legs are not clamped to the tank, only in tight curves. I have sat on the bike not moving, feet on pegs and can not make my legs touch the engine.[/color] Thanks for helping me figure this out Smiley

Paula, you need to understand that I don't know how this can happen.  I understand that you scorched your jeans, but I don't understand how.  Not by just riding normally (the same as I do)  Tongue

Jetting will not appreciably change engine temperature to the point that you can not scorch your jeans, because you still have internal combustion going on regardless.

So, what is different, missing, wrong, or changed on your bike?  Do you have an exhaust leak, a missing heat shield, a different muffler or head pipe?....That is what I am saying.

Anyone else with any ideas?

IP Logged
Paula71
2005 No Login

Ohio Rider 'N Luvn
every minute!

Troy, Ohio
Reply #6 - 07/17/05 at 08:58:33

So, what is different, missing, wrong, or changed on your bike?  Do you have an exhaust leak, a missing heat shield, a different muffler or head pipe?....That is what I am saying.

Anyone else with any ideas?

Greg_650 thanks again.  I will be continuing to check for possible problems with my bike. I was hoping someone else had experienced this. Guess I am a loner on this one Smiley  The scorch is just like what you get when you hold a piece of paper over a burning candle.  The paper does not touch the candle flame but still burns.  For now I will consider buying jeans with a heat shield built in or redneck it and use tin foil!! Grin

red2k1
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 07/17/05 at 10:57:07

This is truely curious.

Very recently, like yesterday, I experienced a hotter than usual right lower leg while riding. However, did not burn the jeans.  My problem was caused by a loose muffler clamp and was solved by tightening the clamp.

It seems to me that it would be possible to burn your jeans if the inside lower leg part of the jeans rested against the crankcase for a period of time.  You could test this by simply securing a small bungee cord around the bottom of your jeans so as to keep them away from the crankcase.  I think I would also check to see that there is the adequate amount of oil in the engine.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #8 - 07/17/05 at 21:29:35

The last few times I rode mine, it also seemed hotter than usual. Had one pair of rain pants literally catch on fire, with NO pipe contact.   Angry  No exhaust leak either, I fixed that little problem last month (me and my little flux core welder... Roll Eyes).  My GUESS (and that's all it is) is that the current summer blend fuel in my area, at 10 or 15 percent ethanol, just burns hotter than normal.

For what it's worth, the screwy bike I'm currently riding does the same thing, and it's liquid cooled with ground scraping pipes...  ???
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #9 - 07/18/05 at 05:57:14

Wow, this all just sounds freaky to me.  I've never noticed that much heat coming from the engine or exhaust on mine.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Paula71
2005 No Login

Ohio Rider 'N Luvn
every minute!

Troy, Ohio
Reply #10 - 07/18/05 at 06:03:04

hey everyone thank you for the input, I have wondered if it could be oil related, it all started within 400miles of my first oil change. The "summer" fuel is a good thought, too.  And now I am starting to get the gold discoloration.  It is hotter now then it was. It seems to run fine, so I am not to worried. And if it seems to happen once in a while for a few then I guess I fit right in  Smiley  WD thanks for giving me heads up, will be getting rain gear with heat guards!!

Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #11 - 07/18/05 at 10:55:52

WD wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
The last few times I rode mine, it also seemed hotter than usual. Had one pair of rain pants literally catch on fire, with NO pipe contact.   Angry  No exhaust leak either, I fixed that little problem last month (me and my little flux core welder... Roll Eyes).  My GUESS (and that's all it is) is that the current summer blend fuel in my area, at 10 or 15 percent ethanol, just burns hotter than normal.

For what it's worth, the screwy bike I'm currently riding does the same thing, and it's liquid cooled with ground scraping pipes...  ???
-WD

First, if you were wearing rain pants, was it raining?

If it was raining then why didn't the water prevent the fire?

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #12 - 07/18/05 at 10:58:46

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
Wow, this all just sounds freaky to me.  I've never noticed that much heat coming from the engine or exhaust on mine.

Exactly, and neither has my spouse.  In fact, this is the first time in the 5 years riding the Savage or chatting in their forums, that anyone has mentioned it.

Personally, I'm thinking it is a loose muffler clamp.

IP Logged
Paula71
2005 No Login

Ohio Rider 'N Luvn
every minute!

Troy, Ohio
Reply #13 - 07/18/05 at 11:11:11

Exactly, and neither has my spouse.  In fact, this is the first time in the 5 years riding the Savage or chatting in their forums, that anyone has mentioned it.

Personally, I'm thinking it is a loose muffler clamp.

No loose muffler clamp , no obvious problem, other than extreme heat radiating away from the bike. The place on my jeans that has been scorched 2 times is directly across from the cylinder head, And I can not make my leg touch it Wink.  Lucky you for never experiencing this before, I know several others that have not experienced this either. I am not imagining this Tongue, and yes I too think it is very Freaky

I rode a dirtbike before street bike and never had this come up then either.

Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #14 - 07/18/05 at 11:36:16

No loose muffler clamp , no obvious problem, other than extreme heat radiating away from the bike. The place on my jeans that has been scorched 2 times is directly across from the cylinder head, And I can not make my leg touch it Wink.  Lucky you for never experiencing this before, I know several others that have not experienced this either. I am not imagining this Tongue, and yes I too think it is very Freaky

I rode a dirtbike before street bike and never had this come up then either.

Same jeans?  Same style, I mean.  Tight legs or loose?  I got half a mind (normally) to find an old piece of denim and put it on a hot clyinder head just to see how it burns.....

And, it isn't too far fetched for the head to be that hot at around 400 - 450 degrees, but the engine is more narrow than the tank so how does this happen without direct contact?

Does your bike run right?  Does this happen in slow traffic on a hot day?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 07:03:42

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Jeans on Fire! Thanks for your help!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.