Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Metal against metal sound (Read 1 times)
Suzuki_Sam
Ex Member

Metal against metal sound
06/28/05 at 19:18:46

My husband and I noticed that at times when riding my bike there is a rattling sound on the rear left of the bike.  (At first we thought it was the keychain hitting the bike, that's how it sounds.)  Is it possible that this is the belt guard somehow vibrating against the drive pulley?

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: Metal against metal sound
Reply #1 - 06/29/05 at 06:02:37

The one time I had a similar sound, the horn was rattling loose.  It sounds like yours probably isn't that far forward though.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Joel
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 06/29/05 at 06:09:26

yeah the belt guard is probably what it is. My bike will make a buzzing sound there from time to time.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #3 - 06/30/05 at 08:31:01

Take a close look at where the front pulley cover meets the belt guard....especially if the front pulley cover has been removed and reinstalled.  

When the pulley cover is removed, it is easy to mix up the bolts and rubber bushings, and as in all mysteries relating to the Suzuki engineering department, the bolts are not the same length.  It is easy to reassemble with the cover pulled down too tightly against the belt guard, and that will create a rattle noise.

IP Logged
Gitarzan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

!

Columbus, Oh, Earth, Solar Sys
Reply #4 - 07/01/05 at 20:57:48

Yeah, what Greg says.  I had the exact same thing happen to me.   The prev owner left off a rubber bushing, if I remember right.   I ground away a little aluminum on the cover and that took care of it.

2001 Cherry Red and Ivory Yamaha VStar 1100

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/05/24 at 16:22:40

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Metal against metal sound

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.