Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: Green Light Trigger
Reply #30 - 07/02/05 at 06:50:44

vroom1776 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
Alright don't want to get into a mess...

the equation that governs the change in current due to a change in magnetic filed is the the Faraday equation (the "curl" of electric filed = charge density + change in Magentic induction with time (more or less).  The curl basically means what it sounds like... Basically this equation says that a changing magnetic field (in time) causes a voltage which in turn causes a current to flow if a wire is nearby.  The change in current within the buried wire is what is measured and triggers the green light

A hall probe measures magnetic field and gives out a voltage due to the hall effect (see above).  The greg described it above does not involve a hall probe...  ugh. don't want to start a flame war...

Magnetism, electricity, and time (and space, and the weak force) are inextricably interwoven

Try this  to see what the heck we are talking about:   get a permanent magnet (NOT a refridgerator magnet), an insulated wire, and an amp meter (sometimes call ammeters (sp?) or galvanometer... a DMM should work too).  Actually, a small light bulb should work too... Make the wire into a bunch of closely packed coils like a spring.  Move the magnet back in forth in there and watch the light flash! Note: if it doesn't work, or barely works, rotate the magnet to a different side and try again... this is essentially how one generates electricity... spin a magnet inside a coil.

Believe it or not, I got an "A" in my daughter's science project several years ago with this very same experiment.....

....to clarify what you mean.  I though the "Hall Effect" was different than a "Hall Probe" as in the effect that a conducting material has on an existing magnetic field.  We know that current flow in a wire, creates a magnetic field, but this is about how other objects effect that field when they pass through it....

In our case these roadway sensors are designed (and calibrated?) to sense cars with their big steel chassis and more powerful electrical systems, but bikes have a smaller "foot print" and are often made of materials that are non-magnetic...aluminum and plastic.  So their effect is much less...below some transistor base, I guess.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #31 - 07/02/05 at 07:09:16

Paula71 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
Hey what ever causes the electrical mashed potatoes or square pie, hitting the kill switch and restartin her just worked for me!!  woo hoo I aint waitin at that one no more. nuh uh  Wink

There you go....straight to the results.  Who cares why, as long as it works?  That is what I had intended, before we started probing square potato roots and mashing our Pies.

It does work.  Maybe not ALL the time, but it does work.  Sometimes it may have to do with your position over the sensor, and whether you are in the center, over a wire, or partially beyond it.  But at least this gives you one option to try, before you run the light....

Of course, if you eat a lot of pie and taters before you ride that may also help....anyone tried flatulence, yet?

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #32 - 07/02/05 at 14:41:29

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
Of course, if you eat a lot of pie and taters before you ride that may also help....anyone tried flatulence, yet?

flatulence, on a savage seat. not after monkee butt sets in.  thats why i went with a chopper seat.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #33 - 07/02/05 at 14:48:23

sluggo wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
flatulence, on a savage seat. not after monkee butt sets in.  thats why i went with a chopper seat.

Good point.  After monkey butt sets in, a fart could be embarassing.

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #34 - 07/02/05 at 16:20:10

Farting with monkey butt could cause gorilla butt. That's monkey butt with a racing stripe Shocked. Oh yeah, shutting off the bike and restarting her triggered one of the problem lights so it seems to work,trying to get back to the orignial thread here. Grin

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #35 - 07/03/05 at 06:36:25

Ed L. wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
Farting with monkey butt could cause gorilla butt. That's monkey butt with a racing stripe Shocked. Oh yeah, shutting off the bike and restarting her triggered one of the problem lights so it seems to work,trying to get back to the orignial thread here. Grin

What about Baboon butt.  Very colorful.

So, the restart trick worked for you too?  Cool.

IP Logged
Bluejeanz
Ex Member

Reply #36 - 07/04/05 at 13:21:25

Well, I found out today that three bikes in the same lane can trigger the mechanism.

I have often sat at this one particular light until my brain boiled in my helmet and then gave up and went on.  

Today, hubby was riding with me (Savage and Intruder) so we sat side by side at the light.  It still didn't trigger.  After two cycles, a guy on a Honda Shadow showed up.  We waved him between us so he pulled up as close as he could between us and sure enough, the next cycle, we got our turn arrow.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #37 - 07/04/05 at 15:46:22

I had the opportunity to test the kill/restart method and it worked like a charm.  Good info!

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #38 - 07/04/05 at 17:43:00

Hey Flash, Did you try the kill switch method? Just curious...

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
mikedasavage
Ex Member

Reply #39 - 07/05/05 at 15:46:26

I tried the kill switch again and it didn't seem to work Sad maybee it was my postion on the bike but i did it like three times and moved the bike to different spots. finnaly i just ran the freakin light Cheesy Civil Disobedience ROCKS

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #40 - 07/05/05 at 17:56:11

Leaving work out the main entrance the gate sensor sees me just fine.  East gate also.  Except I normally hit the left edge so I can exit as the gate starts to open.  Today I was about 3 feet closer to the center and it didn't open.  I was not over the buried sensor wire.  Duckfooted back, pulled forward over the line marking the wire and the gate opened.  Tomorrow I'll try the starter trick.

WWW   IP Logged
gandalph40
Ex Member

Reply #41 - 07/06/05 at 07:55:11

Well, I got stuck at one of these lights on Tuesday and the kill switch method did NOT work.  I tried it a couple of times and then gave up and...well, civil disobedience took over...However, in fairness, I think I was not in the best possible place within the trip box.  I'm not giving up on the technique yet.

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #42 - 07/06/05 at 11:36:03

Try it at the same light with the bike over the sensor wire.

WWW   IP Logged
Bluejeanz
Ex Member

Reply #43 - 07/06/05 at 16:00:02

Susan wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
Hey Flash, Did you try the kill switch method? Just curious...

No, I didn't know about that until I read this thread...which was AFTER the incident at the light.  I will try it again, though, even though others have said it didn't work...never know.  What have I got to loose?  An opportunity for civil disobedience?  Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #44 - 07/08/05 at 07:07:37

You think that we got it bad?  I hadn't thought about it, but what if you don't have any electrical system?

Last weekend, the spouse and I sat behind a group of about 10 bicyclists in a left turn lane (we, in a cage) when suddenly they all turned left on the red arrow.  At first we wondered what they were doing, but after a moment I realized that they were invisible to the sensor too....civil disobedience on 2 wheels!
Cheesy

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 19:17:02

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Green Light Trigger

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.