Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Re: Green Light Trigger
Reply #15 - 06/30/05 at 01:13:01

look at it this way. if you've sat an intersection alone through several cycles,  there aint' no cop around to ticket ya.  and oh what an exciting feeling civil disobedience can be..

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #16 - 06/30/05 at 07:54:47

Okay....this subject was discussed in another topic.  Don't remember where.  Anyway....

I know the problem well, as I've sat at busy intersections with cars waiting behind me, and I've gone so far as to wave for the cars to pull up over the roadway sensor wire behind me....and I have just run the light a few times, too.

First, the green light trigger is a magnet.  Yep.  And it is fastened under the bike, too.  It is one of those things that I wish that I had dreamed up, because people will buy them and I'd be laughing all the way to the bank Smiley  Of course, people won't buy more than one when they find out it doesn't really help....but if you sell just one to every biker...hmmm.  Eventually it will go the way of the pet rock.

Second, a magnet will not effect the bike's ignition system...unless it is a good bit more powerful.  But in that case, you'd be pulling man hole covers out of the street...  Don't worry about that....

Third, here is the real truth....for when you get to the point that you want to run the red light.  The wire in the roadway is part of a sensor that uses an electrical property called the "Hall Effect" (if my old mind remembers correctly).  What that means is this....there is electrial current in that buried wire and when current flows it creates a magnetic field in that area.  Then when something electrically conductive passes through this magnetic field, the magnetic field strength is changed which also effects the current flow in the wire.  This change in current flow (though really small) is detected by transistorized devices in a box somewhere which in turn triggers the traffic light change....but a motorcycle doesn't always have enough mass to create enough change.  So what can you do?

Try this....Grab the kill switch!  Kill the engine and restart the bike.  Yep.  As the starter runs, the electrical current from the battery, starter relay, and starter motor will create your very own magnetic "pulse".... and your magnetic pulse will interrupt and effect the roadway sensor.  Works most of the time...

....and, of course, for those few moments that nothing seems to work....look both ways, and run that darned light.  As they say, "it is often easier to ask for forgiveness, then to ask for permission"

8)

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #17 - 06/30/05 at 08:47:09

It's actually not the Hall effect (though the Hall effect realated to magnetism), it is the Faraday effect, for anyone who cares what it's called.  Basically it's what Greg 650 said.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #18 - 06/30/05 at 09:56:49

vroom1776 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
It's actually not the Hall effect (though the Hall effect realated to magnetism), it is the Faraday effect, for anyone who cares what it's called.  Basically it's what Greg 650 said.

I care.  Refresh my rusty memory, please.  I work with sensors all the time, but might need an update.  Didn't Faraday work with electro-magnets?  Geez, it's all getting fuzzy.....

Hey, maybe I can call this the "Greg Effect"....what a starter motor does to a traffic light sensor.  I'll be rich and famous  8)

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #19 - 06/30/05 at 11:10:29

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #20 - 06/30/05 at 17:09:28

Alright don't want to get into a mess...

the equation that governs the change in current due to a change in magnetic filed is the the Faraday equation (the "curl" of electric filed = charge density + change in Magentic induction with time (more or less).  The curl basically means what it sounds like... Basically this equation says that a changing magnetic field (in time) causes a voltage which in turn causes a current to flow if a wire is nearby.  The change in current within the buried wire is what is measured and triggers the green light

A hall probe measures magnetic field and gives out a voltage due to the hall effect (see above).  The greg described it above does not involve a hall probe...  ugh. don't want to start a flame war...

Magnetism, electricity, and time (and space, and the weak force) are inextricably interwoven

Try this  to see what the heck we are talking about:   get a permanent magnet (NOT a refridgerator magnet), an insulated wire, and an amp meter (sometimes call ammeters (sp?) or galvanometer... a DMM should work too).  Actually, a small light bulb should work too... Make the wire into a bunch of closely packed coils like a spring.  Move the magnet back in forth in there and watch the light flash! Note: if it doesn't work, or barely works, rotate the magnet to a different side and try again... this is essentially how one generates electricity... spin a magnet inside a coil.

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #21 - 06/30/05 at 17:31:10

vroom1776 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
Alright don't want to get into a mess...

the equation that governs the change in current due to a change in magnetic filed is the the Faraday equation (the "curl" of electric filed = charge density + change in Magentic induction with time (more or less).  The curl basically means what it sounds like... Basically this equation says that a changing magnetic field (in time) causes a voltage which in turn causes a current to flow if a wire is nearby.  The change in current within the buried wire is what is measured and triggers the green light

A hall probe measures magnetic field and gives out a voltage due to the hall effect (see above).  The greg described it above does not involve a hall probe...  ugh. don't want to start a flame war...

Magnetism, electricity, and time (and space, and the weak force) are inextricably interwoven

Try this  to see what the heck we are talking about:   get a permanent magnet (NOT a refridgerator magnet), an insulated wire, and an amp meter (sometimes call ammeters (sp?) or galvanometer... a DMM should work too).  Actually, a small light bulb should work too... Make the wire into a bunch of closely packed coils like a spring.  Move the magnet back in forth in there and watch the light flash! Note: if it doesn't work, or barely works, rotate the magnet to a different side and try again... this is essentially how one generates electricity... spin a magnet inside a coil.

MOVE TO STRIKE YOUR HONOR AS UNRESPONSIVE, THE QUESTION WAS AND IS. DO GREEN LIGHT TRIGGERS ACTUALLY WORK.

ONE  Grin FOR YES
ONE  Sad FOR NO
ONE   8) IF YOU PRACTICE THE AGE OLD TRADITION OF CIVIL DISOBIEDENCE.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #22 - 06/30/05 at 17:37:56

.....and the square-root of pi multiplied by the speed of dirt equals the temperature of yesterday's leftover mashed potatoes.....

Yeah, yeah, haven't read any of that stuff since BE/E school in the Navy.

Ride, just ride.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #23 - 06/30/05 at 17:57:03

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
.....and the square-root of pi multiplied by the speed of dirt equals the temperature of yesterday's leftover mashed potatoes...

r u dissin my dearly departed mama's mashed po tae  toes.  

thems be fighting words round here.

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #24 - 07/01/05 at 08:44:30

Hahaha...

8) Civil Disobedience...

Just tryin' to figure out how this stuff works so we can determine if they do work! ....so we ride, just ride!

Anyway,  I put the largest & stongest permanent magnet I had on the bottom of my savage.  I haven't seen any definite results yet,  but I will post when I have made a reasonable "study" of the situation...

Jed: "Boy, you been goin' to school. Say somethin' smart, say somethin' mathmatical."

Jethro: "pi r squared." (pi * r^2)

Jed: "I gotta disagree;  cornbread are squared, pie are round."

IP Logged
Paula71
2005 No Login

Ohio Rider 'N Luvn
every minute!

Troy, Ohio
Reply #25 - 07/01/05 at 17:25:47

Hey what ever causes the electrical mashed potatoes or square pie, hitting the kill switch and restartin her just worked for me!!  woo hoo I aint waitin at that one no more. nuh uh  Wink

WWW sctsamj sctsamj   IP Logged
mikedasavage
Ex Member

Reply #26 - 07/01/05 at 17:38:15

yea i acutally tried that last night and i'm not sure if it worked or if it was the car behind me. I came up to the light hit the switch and the dont walk signs started flashing (usually means the light is going to change) then a car pulled up so not sure yet.

IP Logged
Paula71
2005 No Login

Ohio Rider 'N Luvn
every minute!

Troy, Ohio
Reply #27 - 07/01/05 at 17:52:06

mikedasavage wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
yea i acutally tried that last night and i'm not sure if it worked or if it was the car behind me. I came up to the light hit the switch and the dont walk signs started flashing (usually means the light is going to change) then a car pulled up so not sure yet.

No car behind me or across the way, so I feel like it was my Thumper to trigger it this time, usually I rely on someone pullin up. One time may not be enough to be sure but I will be back to that one soon

WWW sctsamj sctsamj   IP Logged
Frost
2004 No Login

Watch out now....

Boston
Reply #28 - 07/01/05 at 21:01:58

8) Life's too short..(be safe too)  Tongue

'87 Savage Custom
WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #29 - 07/02/05 at 06:36:02

sluggo wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
r u dissin my dearly departed mama's mashed po tae  toes.  

thems be fighting words round here.

Can't we have an intelligent, stimulating, educational, and spirited discussion from time to time?  Is it so bad to learn something occassionally?  Is the search for truth and understanding lost in this forum?

Geez, you guys all sound like a bunch of bikers  Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 18:09:01

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Green Light Trigger

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.