PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Re: mileage - my experience
Reply #15 - 07/07/05 at 05:31:15

Checked my mileage last evening and as near as I could determine, she returned approx. 64mpg (based on U.S. gallons). My LS is completely stock; new spark plug last April, original air filter, fuel lines, etc.

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #16 - 07/08/05 at 11:45:01

I average 57 MPG all the time.  Been as low as 40 once and occassionally 60, but I can easily expect about 120 before reserve.

My spark plug is 2 years old too.  No starting trouble, no smoke, and runs fine.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #17 - 07/08/05 at 11:54:10

I put an iridium plug in last November, I think and it's just peachy.  I also average 57 with no smoke, no starting trouble and she runs fine.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #18 - 07/08/05 at 12:09:09

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
I put an iridium plug in last November, I think and it's just peachy.  I also average 57 with no smoke, no starting trouble and she runs fine.

There you go  Grin

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #19 - 07/08/05 at 13:03:07

43.6 on my last tank.

but then again i do ride hard, alot of full throttle up through the gears.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #20 - 07/08/05 at 17:05:35

I am usually shifting at around 3.5 - 4K.  Only if needing to work through traffic situations do I wind it tighter than that.  

Which just proves that higher RPMs will lower the MPG with a thumper....

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #21 - 07/08/05 at 17:27:40

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
Which just proves that higher RPMs will lower the MPG with a thumper....

that is true it does lower the mpg, but it does raise the excitment level.  Grin

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #22 - 07/09/05 at 07:22:25

I just mention it, because everyone (especially new riders) wonders why their mileage is different.  Sometimes they wonder if something is wrong with their bike because their mileage isn't as good as someone else's....and the bottom line is RPMs.....

Some riders tend to ride in lower gears in traffic and around town....I heard of one rider that couldn't go around corners in higher than 1st gear, for example.  So, my point is that we can compare our MPG figures all day, but they are useless if we don't compare riding habits too.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #23 - 07/09/05 at 14:35:07

Yup.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #24 - 07/09/05 at 17:50:24

It is not just RPMs.  I manage to get my 45 mpg without resorting to high RPMs.  I ride local streets, much stop and GO with a three position throttle.  Closed, wide open, steady cruising.

Today's lake trip I got 57 mpg going south on highway 1 -- mostly 50 ish,  not too many stoplights.  The run home was inland, heavier traffic, more stop and go, dropping to 53 mpg.

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #25 - 07/10/05 at 07:56:27

Paladin. wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
It is not just RPMs.  I manage to get my 45 mpg without resorting to high RPMs.  I ride local streets, much stop and GO with a three position throttle.  Closed, wide open, steady cruising.

Today's lake trip I got 57 mpg going south on highway 1 -- mostly 50 ish,  not too many stoplights.  The run home was inland, heavier traffic, more stop and go, dropping to 53 mpg.

I call "high RPMs" a higher relative RPM range that some riders tend to shift all gears (or if a rider prefers to run along in a lower gear around town).  You state that it isn't just RPMs...so, what is it?  You got 45, 53, and the best at 57 with a steady throttle at 50ish.

50ish is in the RPM range of 3500 to 4000, and you just proved my point on the same bike that I ride.  The scale is kinda linear.  Take 2 riders side by side, and if one rider uses higher RPMs to go the same distance, then his mileage will be lower.  If one rider shifts at 3000 and the other shifts at 4000, the latter will have the lower MPG.

It is just relative to rider habits.  Think of it this way.  Most of us also drive cars with automatic transmissions that all generally shift at the same RPM point all the time.  That usually produces very consistent MPG figures, which the manufacturer usually lists as part of the vehicle specs.  Any wonder why Suzuki doesn't list MPG specs for the Savage?  It is because of rider shifting habits....

I also know that when the spouse and I ride together, she is almost always the first one to go on Reserve....about 10 miles before me.  We always stop for gas and fill-up at the same time...and she always needs just a few 10ths of a gallon more gas then I do....rider habits is the reason.

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #26 - 07/10/05 at 08:58:17

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
I call "high RPMs" a higher relative RPM range that some riders tend to shift all gears (or if a rider prefers to run along in a lower gear around town).  You state that it isn't just RPMs...so, what is it?  You got 45, 53, and the best at 57 with a steady throttle at 50ish....

Right, and the best mileage was at the highest RPMs.  But it was steady state cruising.

As I said: "I manage to get my 45 mpg without resorting to high RPMs.  I ride local streets, much stop and GO with a three position throttle.  Closed, wide open, steady cruising."  (empahsis addded)

Around town I am usually into top gear by 35 mph -- WOT.  35 is also the max speed limit for most of my commute.

We all have our bad habits.  Acceleration to high RPM is not one of mine.  Acceleration at wide open throttle is.   I like the sound and feel of the THUMP THUMP THUMP, not to mention I refuse to block traffic.  One of my peeves in the Camaro was when sitting first at a light some biker would split lanes and pull in front of me, only to dawdle away when the light changed.  I even had a RUB on a Harley pull next to me in the parking lane, only to pace me when the light changed 'til he ran out of lane and pulled behind my '03 standard Beetle.

High RPMs lowers gas mileage.  Wide Open Throttle lowers gas mileage.  To really bring it down you need to do both, which is not easy on city streets with the Savage.

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #27 - 07/10/05 at 09:47:59

I think think the point is that there's a "sweet-spot" in each gear and one that is most efficient overall for the bike.  Any time you deviate from those, you lose efficiency.  Depending upon riding style and type of driving it will vary.  Of course, this excludes other factors such as altitude, humidity, wind and condition of and mods to the bike.  I agree that without taking all of this "stuff" into account, we're just twisting in the wind comparing mileages.

Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #28 - 07/10/05 at 10:12:29

Paladin. wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
Right, and the best mileage was at the highest RPMs.  But it was steady state cruising.

Your steady state cruising is not relatively high RPMs.  Definitely not at 50 MPH.  What I meant by high RPMs is when you are maintaining a higher engine speed to keep a higher torque level at the rear wheel.  Some riders do that around town too....always shifting in the peak torque range.  Sorta like doing 35 in 3rd rather than in 4th.  More engine speed and less relative rear wheel speed.

Quote:
As I said: "I manage to get my 45 mpg without resorting to high RPMs.  I ride local streets, much stop and GO with a three position throttle.  Closed, wide open, steady cruising."  (empahsis addded)

And if you'll note...auto manufacturers state "city" and "highway" mileage figures....the variable that makes that difference is Idle Time.  My guess is that you are shooting your MPG figures because you are sitting at traffic lights alot.

Quote:
Around town I am usually into top gear by 35 mph -- WOT.  35 is also the max speed limit for most of my commute.

How do you do wide open to 35 MPH in 5th gear?  A rather short thrill, isn't it?  Besides, you have a "CV carb".  Engine speed (and vacuum) determines the opening of the needle and main jet.  You can WOT the throttle plate (butterfly) all you want, but it is RPMs (and vacuum) that delivers the gas...."constant velocity".

Quote:
We all have our bad habits.

I wasn't attempting to determine any bad habit Roll Eyes

Quote:
High RPMs lowers gas mileage.  Wide Open Throttle lowers gas mileage.  To really bring it down you need to do both, which is not easy on city streets with the Savage.

Again...What I was saying is "higher relative RPMs" for your shift points (emphasis added).  Aside from that, we are discussing apples and oranges.  

Let's face it, most of us ride the same bike.  In spite of some minor changes like pipes and jets (Lancer excluded), we all have the same combustion area, gear ratios, tires, and weight.  If all of us had the same riding habits, then we'd all get the same mileage.

The only real purpose of this topic is to discuss why we are different.

BTW - I guess we need to hear from some of the guys with Amal carbs.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #29 - 07/10/05 at 10:27:24

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
I think think the point is that there's a "sweet-spot" in each gear and one that is most efficient overall for the bike.  Any time you deviate from those, you lose efficiency.  Depending upon riding style and type of driving it will vary.  Of course, this excludes other factors such as altitude, humidity, wind and condition of and mods to the bike.  I agree that without taking all of this "stuff" into account, we're just twisting in the wind comparing mileages.

We must have been responding at the same time Smiley

....and BTW....even with my pipe, carb, and weight changes, my mileage is essentially the same as when I got her new.  So, I feel fairly confident that while I richened the jetting, I also maintained my efficiency.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 19:06:29

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › mileage - my experience

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.