Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
mileage - my experience (Read 15 times)
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

mileage - my experience
06/27/05 at 10:26:12

just a little more information - this is of particular interest to me, since one of the major reasons I began riding this cycle full time was to reduce my gasoline consumption.

Over the past 1351 miles I averaged 49.4 mpg. I did not keep track of the gas consumption exactly before the 600 service but it was probably a little higher since I hadn't done much in town riding and no interstate riding at that time.

The mileage was mixed, rural, highway, interstate and (small) city driving.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: mileage - my experience
Reply #1 - 06/27/05 at 10:50:05

Is that completely stock?

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #2 - 06/27/05 at 11:14:54

My riding is mostly the mean streets of L.A. -- some 55mph cruising, mostly start and stop.  I get 45mpg or little less.  I gas up every 100 miles on the 100 mile mark -- usually soon after going on reserve.

Sure beats the 6-8 mpg the Camaro gets.

WWW   IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #3 - 06/27/05 at 11:27:45

Completely stock - purple Cheesy, 2004 with just under 2000 miles on the odometer.

IP Logged
bobo383
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Neck=Red

Arlington, TX
Reply #4 - 06/27/05 at 19:27:24

My Savage, even with the big Amal carb and Screamin'Eagle pipe, was getting upper 40s when I sold it.

Worst ever was 37mpg (gas or oil, take your pick).  I rode wide open throttle red light to red light, nearly the whole tank.  I was checking out the main jet on the 38mm Amal.  I think I used as much oil as fuel.

Arlington Texas
Used to have 98 & 88 Savages
  IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #5 - 06/27/05 at 19:32:37

thumper is a 2004 purple, and in the early stages that was a milage figure i achieved. while still in stock condition i do get in the low 40's but i can be a little heavy on the throttle going up through the gears.

i did a 37mpg trip on the first leg of the mountain run, i did that the day before mostly uphill against a heavy wind.  

so bottom line   as the commercial says   your actual milage will vary.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
short round
2005 No Login

mid Missouri
Reply #6 - 06/29/05 at 15:51:05

I've been getting about 53 while on the road with few stops and speeds 60 - 65. It's a stock '04 with windshield and saddlebags. I can go 110 miles before hitting reserve.

Ron
South Central Missouri
  IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Reply #7 - 06/29/05 at 18:05:17

50-55 on average with mixed driving 40,60, and 75 mph

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
shawn_b
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 07/01/05 at 12:07:24

I get around 50 before i hit the reserve.almost all city driving maybe 5 min on the highway

shawn

IP Logged
DavidV
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 07/01/05 at 21:44:14

Got 62 mpg out of my last tank.  No highway rides, but a lot of two-lane 50 mph roads.  Don't have a tach, so I'm probably shifting early.

Bike is hard to start, obviously needs a tuneup.  Gonna pick a day and do all the wrenching at once.  She's stone stock now, with 8K miles.  No windshield, either.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #10 - 07/03/05 at 10:40:17

DavidV wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
Got 62 mpg out of my last tank.  No highway rides, but a lot of two-lane 50 mph roads.  Don't have a tach, so I'm probably shifting early.

Bike is hard to start, obviously needs a tuneup.  Gonna pick a day and do all the wrenching at once.  She's stone stock now, with 8K miles.  No windshield, either.

If you haven't already, try half-choke to start and give it about 30-45 seconds at that before releasing the choke.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
DavidV
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 07/03/05 at 10:51:32

I've tried half and full-choke.  It needs to be cranked awhile (20 sec or so) before it starts.  Seems to run okay.  Hopefully it'll be better after a tuneup.  I've only had it a month, and I assume that the previous owner didn't do much maintenance, so I'm gathering parts now.

Thanks for the help.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #12 - 07/03/05 at 11:02:49

As cheap and easy as it is and for the general peace of mind, be sure to replace the vacuum and fuel lines when you do it.  You may also want to pop an in-line fuel filter into the line... another cheap an easy addition to peace of mind.

WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #13 - 07/03/05 at 13:31:09

If it doesn't catch within 5 revolutions, change your spark plug. Savage eats sparkplugs like a fat toddler eats M&Ms. Since new, I've had to swap the plug out at roughly 3 months riding time, regardless of the mileage. Electrode tips seem to erode pretty quickly in a lean burn head design. I had a car that was the same way (Dodge with lean burn 318).

My bike is getting hard to start and is smoking like a VW Rabbit with the choke on the first notch. Time for a new plug (again). Of course, mine went from too lean to a hair rich, the pipe is going from yellow/blue/purple back to chrome (guess the mix is okay now if it's running that cool). Mileage is in the low 50s now as well.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Bluejeanz
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 07/03/05 at 17:13:59

Just got home from a 305 mile road-trip and the Savage averaged 58 mpg and the Intruder 49 mpg.  This was no interstate and very little in town....mostly open highway at 50-60 mph.

I was real pleased with the performance of both bikes.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 20:23:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › mileage - my experience

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.