Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Rattling under light accelleration when hot (Read 3 times)
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Rattling under light accelleration when hot
07/11/05 at 13:03:56

This started yesterday when I came into town after about a 50 mile ride on country roads. The engine was completely warm. The engine started a light metallic rattling sound when I first accelerated away from the first stop in town. Did it also on light throttle without moving. Continued to do it each time I came to a stop and accelerated away until I shut the engine down.  Nothing really bad sounding, just different. Never heard this sound before. No extra vibration from the bike. Definitely sounding like it was coming from just under the gas tank.

Didn't do it on my return trip, or this morning.

Any guesses?Could something be coming loose? Seems unusual that something would be loose and then not loose. Gasoline problem? Anything I should especially look for? I'm coming up on due for an oil change and I might as well look then.

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Re: Rattling under light accelleration when hot
Reply #1 - 07/11/05 at 13:45:51

mornhm - FSO wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
This started yesterday when I came into town after about a 50 mile ride on country roads. The engine was completely warm. The engine started a light metallic rattling sound when I first accelerated away from the first stop in town. Did it also on light throttle without moving. Continued to do it each time I came to a stop and accelerated away until I shut the engine down.  Nothing really bad sounding, just different. Never heard this sound before. No extra vibration from the bike. Definitely sounding like it was coming from just under the gas tank.

Didn't do it on my return trip, or this morning.

Any guesses?Could something be coming loose? Seems unusual that something would be loose and then not loose. Gasoline problem? Anything I should especially look for? I'm coming up on due for an oil change and I might as well look then.

sounds like the imfamous speedo rattle to me.  it's a common occurance, and easy fix  do a google on this site for speedometer rattle and you will find the past disscusions on this topic. i also recommend you read over the posts in the technical section, they will explain all the little problems that have come up and been fixed.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #2 - 07/11/05 at 13:54:53

Yup, probably the speedo rattle.  I've also had loose stuff in the headlight casing rattle and sound almost like the speedo rattle.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #3 - 07/11/05 at 15:44:18

Next time you hear the noise tap the speedometer with your hand and see if it goes away or changes. The speedometer on my '02 sounded like a coffee can half full of nuts and bolts Sad. The silicone fix posted on the tech board worked great, just don't spare the silicone  Grin. Luck on your scoot.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #4 - 07/12/05 at 05:29:20

I did a search on rattle before I posted this and didn't find speedo rattle. I'll search again. I didn't think it would be speedo since it did it while the bike was standing still. But if (when) it happens again, I'll do some more troubleshooting.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #5 - 07/12/05 at 05:48:35

mornhm - FSO wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
I did a search on rattle before I posted this and didn't find speedo rattle. I'll search again. I didn't think it would be speedo since it did it while the bike was standing still. But if (when) it happens again, I'll do some more troubleshooting.

The speedo rattle doesn't have to do with moving.  It rattles with the engine....and usually at a particular consistent RPM.

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #6 - 07/12/05 at 05:48:57

The rattle is from the mounting, not the cable/internals, and thus is not speed dependent.

WWW   IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #7 - 07/12/05 at 07:07:49

Guys and gals, please help me find the thread on speedometer rattle, I've searched several different ways, and am just not coming up with the thread. Embarrassed

Thanks

IP Logged
bobo383
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Neck=Red

Arlington, TX
Reply #8 - 07/12/05 at 17:58:33

Here's the most recent one:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=RubberSideDown;action=display;n...

I finally quit worrying about all the little noises and squeaks.  It was still quieter than my old Ford F100.

Arlington Texas
Used to have 98 & 88 Savages
  IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #9 - 07/12/05 at 18:54:36

Thanks, I don't know why it didn't come up on my searches.

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #10 - 07/12/05 at 19:52:00

the default search is only 7 days into the past.  I always reset to 999 days.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 19:15:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Rattling under light accelleration when hot

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.