Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
My 96 Savage died :(  HELP! (Read 7 times)
Jim_R
Ex Member

Re: My 96 Savage died :(  HELP!
Reply #15 - 06/18/05 at 19:54:21

ok I started over AGAIN for the 6th time at least.  

I took off the gas tank and made sure it had spark.
It was very strong and I could see the actual spark so I put the gas tank back on and removed the bottom of the carb and switched to primary and gas did flow thru the carb..   I fully charged the battery and tried to start it.  It makes a occasional chug that is very soft.

Im thinking my carb is messed up because I've got spark and I removed my air filter.  I blew thru the carb vent tubes and made sure they werent clogged.  I even bought a new gas line and connectors for it and the vacum tube.  The vacum tube looks brand new and no holes are in it.

I tried to start it on primary. I tried to start it on regular. tried to start it with the choke on and off.  Heck i felt like I was preforming cpr when i was blowing in the carb vent hose haha.  I know my decompression valve is working because I disconnected my starter and I could hear it engage.  My float in my carb is working properly and im waiting on my manual so I can take the carb off and clean it.  I did see a hose unplugged under the bike that looks like it some kind of drain hose.  It was as big as the fuel line and Ill take a pic of it tomorrow.  Im not giving up because heck my bike is a 95 with only 7k miles on it.  It ran strong before it quit.

Lets see when I got gas and limped it home it was driving really rough.  When I engaged the throttle it would sputter and act like it was starving for air or something.  one second it would bog down and the next it would launch forward.  very rough and kinda scarry when traffic is behind you and u cant maintain a speed.

Im thikning somehow the air delivery is not getting to the carb somehow..  I hope this helps and sorry I didnt post yesterday I couldnt work on it.  But I will tomorrow if you have any suggestions.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #16 - 06/19/05 at 08:50:16

Jim_R wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
Im thikning somehow the air delivery is not getting to the carb somehow..  I hope this helps and sorry I didnt post yesterday I couldnt work on it.  But I will tomorrow if you have any suggestions.

Well, forget that.  Air is getting to your engine.  That is just a matter of physics...valves open, piston go down, air go in...and provided there is oxygen in your immediate area that should be sufficient.

If you are sure of the spark, then think about the carb.  Have you opened the top of the carb yet?  Might need to just go ahead and remove the carb to clean it out.

The 2 hoses hanging down under the engine are the battery vent (smaller) and the air box drain (larger).  The drain has a plug in it too.  Pull plug and drain goop...

IP Logged
defrag
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 06/19/05 at 10:41:29

hey there, im going through the same thing with my bike!

i just removed the drain screw on the bottom of the bowl, clean gas came out. however... even though i had the petcock on prime no more gas was coming out of the drainhole. what does this mean?

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #18 - 06/19/05 at 10:47:31

First off, how much clean gas came out?  A bowl full or a lot less.  If it was too low to be venturied out, you are technically out of gas.

You could have a stuck float or crap in the float needle valve or a bunch of stuff in the bowl drain too.  Or the petc0ck could have a problem.  Pull the fuel hose off the carb, and see if gas is getting to the carb, first.

IP Logged
defrag
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 06/19/05 at 10:54:29

full bowl came out, fuel flows out when i pull the hose but not when i pull the drain plug. also it doesnt pour out of that hose, its a small stream

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #20 - 06/19/05 at 11:04:45

It really isn't gonna "pour" out.  Most likely that stream is more than enough flow to keep the bowl full...the bike's good on gas...

Hmmm...So, gas go in, but gas no come out.  Mathematically that would be either 1 + 1 = 2 or 1 - 1 = 0.  Right?  Tongue

Seriously, try tapping on the bowl with a screwdriver handle and see if gas flows or you might want to just pull off the bowl and have a look.

IP Logged
defrag
Ex Member

Reply #21 - 06/19/05 at 11:12:34

progress!

i decided to start fiddling with the air/fuel screw, turned it almost all the way out and got it to turn on, idle for about 30 seconds then died. started up again a couple times for a few seconds then died again. im about to kill my batt so im letting it sit for a few mins before i go outside and meddle some more

edit: the settings i have right now are, PRI and full choke and air/fuel almost all the way out.

got a nice backfire too, scared the shiat outta me  Shocked

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #22 - 06/19/05 at 12:22:24

Yes, but you already determined that you don't have gas in the carb bowl.  So therefore full choke and the mixture screw turned rich have no gas to really work with anyway.

After you find the problem you'll just have to turn the screw back  Tongue

IP Logged
defrag
Ex Member

Reply #23 - 06/19/05 at 12:26:57

i do have gas in the bowl. fuel is flowing from the petcock fine. battery just died though. have it on the charger and hopefully will be able to start messing around in a few hours.

i believe my starter is pretty weak, i listened to some other audio clips and mine is ALOT slower than theirs. could a weak starter cause my battery to die all the time, well at least quicker than i would imagine it should.

IP Logged
Mr 650
Serious Thumper

The LS650- Classic
style & 4-valve
engine

Mempho
Reply #24 - 06/19/05 at 13:33:11

It could be weak, but how old is the battery.
You are not using a car charger are you?
They will boil your battery and that will make it weak.

SilverBlue '01,K&N,Snorklectomy,125mm NOS carb, 1/2 spacer & 155, 'Trapp, NC flyscreen, Suzy GelSeat, Osram H4
later..putt. Putt, PUtt, PUTT! 8)
HelmetLawsSuck
  IP Logged
defrag
Ex Member

Reply #25 - 06/19/05 at 15:05:01

brand new battery, im using a 1.5 amp trickle charger

IP Logged
rkutzner
Ex Member

Reply #26 - 06/20/05 at 18:08:24

I have seen VERY similar symptoms occur on two ATVs and a dirt bike.  When was the last time that your valve clearnces were adjusted?  As the seats 'break in' or 'wear' or whatever you want to call it, the clearance between the rocker and valve (or cam/shim/bucket with overhead cam engines like a V-Force) GETS SMALLER, not larger as many think.  Depending on how tight this clearance gets, the engine at a certain operating temp (sometimes right after startup) will freeze up because everything gets so tight as it heats up and expands and it literally stops the cam and engine from turning.  Initially at higher rpms it will run and then die at idle.  Eventually it won't run....

My friends V-Force only had about 50 hours on it brand new when it happened to him.  He was rebuilding his carbs, looking at a $400 feul pump, shooting in the dark Grin, before it was mentioned to him to check his clearances.  The exhaust valves on one cylinder had NO clearance!  He adjusted and is now back to beating me on my Z400 !

This may or may not be the problem, but check the valve clearances before ripping everything apart.  You need to learn to do this and do it every 2-4000 miles as basic maintenence.  Good luck !!!

IP Logged
defrag
Ex Member

Reply #27 - 06/21/05 at 18:07:45

sounds like an idea.

today i put the batt back, i can get it to fire up on first try. however it seems to idle for about a min then cut out. then it has a hard time starting back up for any longer than a few seconds. i leave and come back about 15 mins later and shell start up and idle for a min or longer again

seems like somethings heating up and causing the bike to cut out?

edit: after re-reading your post. the valves seem like a probable item. if they heat up and then seize, sounds like whats happening to my bike. have you done this adjustment? i would have to order the feeler gauge but do i really need all those other tools or could i just get it done with some basic sockets/hand tools

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #28 - 06/21/05 at 21:45:27

You can do it with hand tools. Just some extra minor annoyance involved. Mine is pushing 13,200 miles without the valves being done. Starting to run like you describe...guess what I'm doing tomorrow if it isn't raining?
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
defrag
Ex Member

Reply #29 - 06/22/05 at 14:06:26

WD wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
You can do it with hand tools. Just some extra minor annoyance involved. Mine is pushing 13,200 miles without the valves being done. Starting to run like you describe...guess what I'm doing tomorrow if it isn't raining?
-WD

true, mines on 12,500 and i doubt the previous owner ever did it.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 22:36:13

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › My 96 Savage died :(  HELP!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.