Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Grips (Read 7 times)
Jim_R
Ex Member

Grips
06/23/05 at 22:40:23

How hard is to replace the grips?  Can u use hd grips for 1 inch?  Im a newbie so be patient

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Re: Grips
Reply #1 - 06/24/05 at 01:40:22

Jim_R wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
How hard is to replace the grips?  Can u use hd grips for 1 inch?  Im a newbie so be patient

Not very hard if you know the trick. Yes, you can use 1"grips.

Now, lets start with the LH side.
A twisting motion will loosen the grip end. Try to push the grip by pushing on the inside( the side close to the clutch). Meaning, if you pull on the outside you stretch the rubber making it even tighter. Push a small screwdriver under the rubber and rotate around the handlebar to loosen-up the glue, if any.
Or, if you do not want to use the grip anymore, a lenghtwise cut will separate the grip from the handlebar.

Throttle side:
Undo the 2 bolts( crews) that hold the switchhousing together. Apply full throttle, hold the throttle open on the carburator with your left hand and unhook the throttlecable with you right hand from the grip.

The rubber grip cannot be used again, you remove it by cutting it off. A lenghtwise cut will do, the rubber is approx. 4mm thick.
Now comes the tricky part: the "plastic" throttle grip has a number if ridges that you have to grind/sand down to the inside diameter of the new grip.
Don't make this fit too tight or you will decrease the inside diameter of the plastic  too much, preventing the throttle to turn smoothly.

Happy wrenching  Greetz
Kropatchek Grin

BTW: dont forget to put the LH new grip on and reassemble the throttle cable and switch housing.

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #2 - 06/24/05 at 01:58:54

that was a perfect explanation of how to do that job.
how bout putting it in the technical section. Smiley

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Jim_R
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 06/24/05 at 04:52:17

thanks!  and u didnt even make fun of me Smiley

YAY Roll Eyes

IP Logged
DHammer
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 06/24/05 at 09:24:38

When you order your grips, make sure they are without the throttle assembly.  Also, even with grinding, I was unable to seat the new grip over the entire length of the stock throttle assembly, since the interior of the new grip happened to slightly taper towards the end.  Since I removed the chrome from the stock throttle assembly, I now have a little bit of white plastic showing.  My recommendation is leave the bit of chrome on the throttle assembly because once the new grip is on, its unlikely you'll be able to get it off.

DHammer

IP Logged
Richard Amirault

Reply #5 - 06/24/05 at 10:06:23

Speaking of grips ... the bar end of my throttle grip was missing when I got the bike (used) The "silver" plastic end piece.

I ordered the part from Suzuki but can't figure out how to mount it. It does not seem to "click" in ... or "wedge" in .. do you glue it?

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #6 - 06/24/05 at 11:00:29

A wood rasp takes off those ridges on the plastic throttle sleeve pretty easily.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #7 - 06/25/05 at 08:55:50

Richard Amirault wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
Speaking of grips ... the bar end of my throttle grip was missing when I got the bike (used) The "silver" plastic end piece.

I ordered the part from Suzuki but can't figure out how to mount it. It does not seem to "click" in ... or "wedge" in .. do you glue it?

It is glued on.  Nothing fancy.  Use either Weldwood contact cement or silicone RTV rubber.

IP Logged
mikedasavage
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 06/26/05 at 09:32:31

I posted this in the tech section and got no response. This is pretty close to grips so hoping i might hear something here. i have an 87 savage and want to put chrome clutch and brake levers but the ones on ebay say 95- 02 does anyone know what changed that they dont work? or is there a mod to make them work. any ideas?

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #9 - 06/26/05 at 10:29:09

Seems like we discussed this a few months ago.  It's in here somewhere.  Hmmmm.  I tend to think they are the same as the '95.  The only reason for the exclusion is that Savages where reintroduced to the US in that year.  That's all I know.

IP Logged
mikedasavage
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 06/26/05 at 12:14:08

well i guess i'll just have to buy them and then let you all know Cheesy thanks for the info.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 00:56:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Grips

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.