Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Re: First Time Going Down
Reply #15 - 06/07/05 at 21:26:13

Glad you're okay. Bikes are replaceable, skin grows back (sort of).

Deb, don't let crashes spook you. It's a known fact of riding life. You "pay to play". And the road is always hungry...
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
DangMan
2005 No Login

Thump thump thump

Denmark
Reply #16 - 06/07/05 at 21:55:45

darn  Sad Im sad to hear about your bike but happy that you didnt get totaled yourself.

WWW   IP Logged
Tony
2004 No Login

Saugerties, NY
Reply #17 - 06/08/05 at 03:43:53

I am very sorry to hear about your incident. I hope the rash isnt to severe. sometimes even small injuries can cause a serious amount of discomfort.

Did the Police get called? Please tell me they ticketed the driver for crossing the center line as well as everything else. Insurance companies can be a real pain when the tickets dont get written. Also make sure your injuries are well documented (if they look bad take pictures).  

-Tony

......Remember;
Where ever you go,
there you are.
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #18 - 06/08/05 at 05:27:14

dssaak wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
I always heard it was a matter of when and not if you would have to lay your bike down.  I am now in the when column.  How can they not see us???  

I was traveling a straight road and someone in a pickup turned left in front of me to get to his driveway.   If he would have kept going, I might have been able to get around him.  When he did see me, he decided to stop the truck in my lane.  I had no choice but to lay the bike down - fortunately it was NOT my 'new' Savage!  

The bike came to rest just as it slid up to his truck.  Slight dent on his quarter panel; the bike was not so lucky.   I am sure the Insurance company will total it and screw me out of what it would take to fix it up.

I was able to walk away with minor bruising and a fair amount of road rash.  

Watch for them because they sure are not watching out for you!

dk

Good that you weren't hurt too badly.  Sorry about the spill and injuries...road rash is tough too.  Was the bike rideable after the spill?

The left turn in front of a rider is a classic.  And all the driver was thinking about was getting home, most likely.  Now, that you can look at this in retrospect, do you think that a headlight modulator would have given you more visibility?  

Which bike were you riding?  What time of day?  Were you doing the speed limit?

IP Logged
dssaak
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 06/08/05 at 08:20:14

Thanks for the kind words.

The trooper did give him a ticket for failure to yield.  The fellow was Chinese and spoke little English.  I am not sure he knew what the ticket was.

However, my insurance (Progressive) said they would investigate to ascertain my level of responsibility in the accident.  Does that translate to higher premiums?  I was pissed at the driver.  I think I am going to be more upset with the insurance companies!  Kemper is the other guys company.  Does anyone have any experience with them?

I was on my '86 Honda Rebel 250 (did use it as my commuter).  It was evening but still plenty of daylight.  I always ride with the high beam on during the day and   was doing under the speed limit.   I started to brake when he started to nose across the lane.  My first thought was he is not going to go.  My second thought was he would keep going and I could get behind him.  He did neither.  In this case, I am not sure anything would have helped.  I did ride the bike home.  Left side is trashed and the handle bars are at 30 degrees from normal.   It was in great shape for an '86 - 11k miles.  

I have been riding a long time and took plenty of spills trail riding as a kid.  One thing I know, pavement does not feel like grass or dirt!!  

The wife and I rode the Savages last night, so I am already back in the saddle.  It was a scary experience but if the alternative is not riding - no thanks.

I used to like to ride behind her but know I am

IP Logged
Michael
Ex Member

Reply #20 - 06/08/05 at 09:30:37

dssaak:

Glad you are OK and still have other bikes to ride.

After a small crash last September with a spoiled little rich b**ch of 20 years old, in daddy's SUV , with a cell phone in one hand, and a Tim Horton's coffee in the other, I truly understand how you must feel.

I now ride as if everyone doesn't see me, or perhaps sees me, and doesn't give a $hit. I stay at least 50-feet behind any other vehicle, unless it is impossible due to congested city traffic.

I also assume that someone is gonna change lanes or turns in front of me, and adjust my speed accordingly.

When someone pulls up to the stop sign from a side street, I always assume they are going to dart out in front of me, so I slow down, and make eye contact.

Sometimes I think I am over careful, if there is such a thing. I just don't want to experience that awful feeling again. I bounced off that truck like a rubber ball.

The bike suffered only a broken windshield, and a scraped front fender. .....If I had not been wearing a helmet, i would not be telling this story today. I only got a scuffed elbow out of it, and was quite sore for a couple of days.

I had some old guy pull the old turn and stop in front of me, in the center of my lane last week. Bet ya his ears are still ringing. I followed him into the mall he was heading to, and told him that he should consider giving up his licence, for the safety of others. He denied he was at fault, even though his wife was telling him he was, so i let him have it.   I got 2 words for people like that......".Public Transportation".....

Pre 1960 here in my area, you didn't even need a test, to get a licence.  It was just handed out to those who were of age, and applied...Imagine the bad habits they taught themselves over the years....At least the kids today need to successfully pass a written and a road test before they can drive.. With the exception of of a few , like the one that hit me, I believe most young people are pretty good drivers. There are always going to be exceptions to any rule.  A car, or any vehicle is a lethal weapon. Any little mistake can cost lives.

cheers

Michael

IP Logged
Tony
2004 No Login

Saugerties, NY
Reply #21 - 06/09/05 at 04:22:33

I think what your insurance company is going to do is attempt to do it put most of the blame on the other driver. Your insurance company wins if they pay nothing. However, about 6 years ago I was involved in a car accident where I was the car traveling on a hiway at 8am. The other car ran a stop sign at a cross roads ( i had no stop and the speed limit was 55) the outcome was that (after lawsuites) My insurance had 20% responsibility due to the fact that... get this......
If i wasnt on the road i wouldnt have hit her.

she even made a plea of guilty for her ticket. Insurance companies suck.

-Tony

......Remember;
Where ever you go,
there you are.
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #22 - 06/09/05 at 06:35:25

And in "no-fault" states, they seem to try to go that route instead of burning any calories to get to the real cause.  At least that used to be the case in Hawaii when I was home-ported at Pearl Harbor.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/30/24 at 23:21:21

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › First Time Going Down

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.