Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Squeaky Front Brake is Killin me (Read 4 times)
Andy Jamison

Squeaky Front Brake is Killin me
06/03/05 at 06:04:13

Grin

Can anybody give any suggestions on curing a squeaking front brake ?? It's been squeaking since day 1 about a year ago. Thanks for any help.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: Squeaky Front Brake is Killin me
Reply #1 - 06/03/05 at 06:18:03

If you haven't done it already, try a few hard and fast stops (not in traffic).  Definitely check the wear on the pads.  Changing them may well be about the simplest maintenance task on this bike - even simpler than changing the headlight bulb.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
DavidV
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 06/03/05 at 08:10:27

Somebody here mentioned greasing the back side of the pads to stop the squeal.  I've also heard of using duct tape, and seen what looked like thick aluminum tape provided with new pads.

Here's an SBS item that looks like the right stuff.  It's at DennisKirk.com under part # 191268.  For eight bucks it's worth a shot.  

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #3 - 06/03/05 at 08:43:55

Change the pads, sometimes they leave the factory with, for lack of a better term, gunk imbedded in them. Some end up being the wrong compound as well. Try an Emgo or EBC os SBS set, all are better quality than the OEM units.

Grease the back of the pads, and I also lightly grease the slider pin (the long allen screw). I know, you shouldn't grease the pin...but the brakes sure work better if you do.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #4 - 06/03/05 at 09:32:57

DavidV wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
Somebody here mentioned greasing the back side of the pads to stop the squeal.  I've also heard of using duct tape, and seen what looked like thick aluminum tape provided with new pads.

Here's an SBS item that looks like the right stuff.  It's at DennisKirk.com under part # 191268.  For eight bucks it's worth a shot.  

You mean using some brake squeal grease.  That helps by absorbing vibration, but the biggest thing is that brake squeal is caused by unequal contact of the brake pads with the rotor.  The common causes are....dirt, oil and grease on the rotor, glazed pads, or an uncentered caliper (as WD mentions).

As Rob mentions, a few hard stops with the front brake will  sometimes help to recenter the caliper on the rotor.  Clamping down tightly is an effort to try to move the cailper on those sliding pins.

Start by cleaning the rotor with a non-oily solvent.  If that doesn't help, pull the caliper off, clean it, lightly grease the pins, sand any glaze off the pads, and apply anti-squeal grease to the backsides.  Reassemble.

If you do any or all of the above, you should have no more squeal.

IP Logged
Jamo
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

WOO EE!!

Taylor, MI
Reply #5 - 06/03/05 at 11:01:41

Thanks Everbody for the answers - I'll give it a try

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #6 - 06/04/05 at 01:51:01

I also take the paint of the back of the pads.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
CHRIS
2005 No Login

FRIENDSVILLE, MARYLAND
Reply #7 - 06/04/05 at 18:17:45

THIS I'M SURE I CAN HELP YOU WITH!!! FROM THE FACTORY SUZUKI PUTS COSMOLEAN (THE SAME THING THAT'S ON YOU GUNS WHEN YOU BUY THEM) ON THE ROTORS TO KEEP THEM FROM RUSTING WHILE THERE IN THE CRATE WAITING TO BE PUT TOGETHER. IF THE DEALERSHIP DOES NOT USE A BRAKE CLEANER OR SOMETHING LIKE IT TO CLEAN IT OFF IT WILL GET IT TO THE PADS AND BASICALLY RUIN THEM. ONCE THEY START SQUEALING THEY'RE SHOT. WHEN YOU BUY A NEW SET OF PADS MAKE SURE TO PICK UP A CAN OF BRAKE CLEANER ALSO AND WIPE DOWN THE ROTORS BEFORE YOU PUT THE NEW ONES ON OR YOU'LL HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM ALL OVER AGAIN, IT JUST MAY TAKE A LITTLE LONGER THIS TIME.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #8 - 06/05/05 at 06:18:13

CHRIS wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
THIS I'M SURE I CAN HELP YOU WITH!!! FROM THE FACTORY SUZUKI PUTS COSMOLEAN (THE SAME THING THAT'S ON YOU GUNS WHEN YOU BUY THEM) ON THE ROTORS TO KEEP THEM FROM RUSTING WHILE THERE IN THE CRATE WAITING TO BE PUT TOGETHER. IF THE DEALERSHIP DOES NOT USE A BRAKE CLEANER OR SOMETHING LIKE IT TO CLEAN IT OFF IT WILL GET IT TO THE PADS AND BASICALLY RUIN THEM. ONCE THEY START SQUEALING THEY'RE SHOT. WHEN YOU BUY A NEW SET OF PADS MAKE SURE TO PICK UP A CAN OF BRAKE CLEANER ALSO AND WIPE DOWN THE ROTORS BEFORE YOU PUT THE NEW ONES ON OR YOU'LL HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM ALL OVER AGAIN, IT JUST MAY TAKE A LITTLE LONGER THIS TIME.

That's a good point...especially since I'm reading about this problem more from people with new bikes under 1000 miles.

IP Logged
Paula71
2005 No Login

Ohio Rider 'N Luvn
every minute!

Troy, Ohio
Reply #9 - 06/06/05 at 21:58:23

This is good to know.  I have only had my s40 for about  5-6 weeks. And that front brake squeals a lot.  I was told that single disc brake will "just do that".  I think will definetely be looking into it more now.

WWW sctsamj sctsamj   IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #10 - 06/07/05 at 14:57:26

Paula71 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
This is good to know.  I have only had my s40 for about  5-6 weeks. And that front brake squeals a lot.  I was told that single disc brake will "just do that".  I think will definetely be looking into it more now.

Hey Paula,
just as a control test - pull the pads (it's very very easy to do) - i think we have pictures in the tech section - take some about 200 grit sand paper (give or take 20) and sand the surface of the pads, put a little anti squeal grease on the back of the pad and pop them back in - 15 minutes tops - it be would interesting to know how long this stops it - might not be a bad idea to wipe down the rotor with something when your done - like charcoal lighter on a rag.

IP Logged
Paula71
2005 No Login

Ohio Rider 'N Luvn
every minute!

Troy, Ohio
Reply #11 - 06/08/05 at 19:19:52

Okay here is my update, my husband sanded down the pads with around 80 grit sandpaper then sprayed down with disc brake quiet. Also wiped down the rotor with brake cleaner.   I of course sat on the bike holding it steady and making sure he was doing it correctly Grin

Seemed to have fixed the squeal,  longer ride tomorrow, we will see.  I'll keep you posted if and when the mouse returns to its home in the front spokes.  Grin

Thanx for the suggestion reelthing.

Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #12 - 06/08/05 at 20:16:41

Disc brake quite - the spray blue or red sticky stuff?

IP Logged
Paula71
2005 No Login

Ohio Rider 'N Luvn
every minute!

Troy, Ohio
Reply #13 - 06/09/05 at 13:00:55

ReelThing,, the spray blue was used.   After riding today I have to say that front brake works a whole lot different too.  I must have had to really grap that thing before now just a touch and it stops , like right now.  The bike bounces on the front forks when you apply the front brake. It was not doing that before.  I hope this is a good thing  Smiley   It feels good and the squeal is gone.  Now no one can hear me braking 2 miles away Grin

Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #14 - 06/09/05 at 14:36:41

Cool, sounds like you got it hooking up proper - I was just wondering on the sticky stuff - It dosen't seem to last very long on a bike disc as compared to an auto - be fun to see how much time/miles you get a quite ride.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/01/24 at 04:45:54

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Squeaky Front Brake is Killin me

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.