Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
First Time Going Down (Read 4 times)
dssaak
Ex Member

First Time Going Down
06/07/05 at 13:31:20

I always heard it was a matter of when and not if you would have to lay your bike down.  I am now in the when column.  How can they not see us???  

I was traveling a straight road and someone in a pickup turned left in front of me to get to his driveway.   If he would have kept going, I might have been able to get around him.  When he did see me, he decided to stop the truck in my lane.  I had no choice but to lay the bike down - fortunately it was NOT my 'new' Savage!  

The bike came to rest just as it slid up to his truck.  Slight dent on his quarter panel; the bike was not so lucky.   I am sure the Insurance company will total it and screw me out of what it would take to fix it up.

I was able to walk away with minor bruising and a fair amount of road rash.  

Watch for them because they sure are not watching out for you!

dk

IP Logged
jennifrb
Ex Member

Re: First Time Going Down
Reply #1 - 06/07/05 at 14:00:47

Oh that's a bummer!  Sorry to hear about your accident, but glad to hear you walked away from it.  
I tell my daughter the same thing, even when driving a car, you gotta look out for the other guy.  Just because you see them, doesn't mean they see you.

IP Logged
Red_Wine

Chain-drive, 400cc
Black Savage in
Chile

Santiago, Chile
Reply #2 - 06/07/05 at 14:57:34

Too bad to read about it Sad

Did you smack the a$$hole????

I'm glad you could walk away from that, but keep riding, man

Best,

RW

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #3 - 06/07/05 at 15:13:00

first  go get an attorney, then go to dr.  wrack up the bills. make him pay pay pay.  when the insurance totals the machine, offer to buy it back at pennies on the dollar. then deduct it from the settlement.

welcome to the "been down" side of life, it's scarry but survivable. just don't let the insurance carrier try to screw you around. remember they are there to pay for your "damages" not fix your machine, so make it costly.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
red2k1
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 06/07/05 at 15:14:57

Quote:
Just because you see them, doesn't mean they see you.

Truer words were never spoken.

Real sorry to hear about your forced slide, but glad you are reasonably okay.  Hope you will pursue his insurance company forcefully.  Have been in more than a few of those kinds of crashes myself and they do take a toll on the body.

Recently, I installed one of those headlight flashers and it seems to help people judge the distance and speed of the motorcycle a little better.  However, there are still far too many folks who simply drive in never never land.

Good luck and ride safe.

IP Logged
HawkEye1967
2005 No Login

L. T. R..R. T. L
 Ridding for the Son

Reply #5 - 06/07/05 at 15:25:32

glad to see you walk away, sorry to hear it happend in the first place.

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #6 - 06/07/05 at 15:34:46

glad you're pretty okay. Keep ridin' and good luck with the insurance.

k

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #7 - 06/07/05 at 16:32:23

SadWhoaa ... I'm just glad you're OK man ...

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Reply #8 - 06/07/05 at 17:30:52

Sorry to hear your crash! But glad to see you walk away fron it. Just wondering, is this during daytime?? If it is daytime, is your highbeam on? Would that idiot see you better then? My MSF instructor told me to ride with the highbeam on during daytime, it seemed to get other drivers when I'm riding. Hope you get another bike and ride again soon.

SavageDude

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
cphilip
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 06/07/05 at 17:34:17

Glad your ok....

but... the title of this thread made me think I was at the wrong site!  Wink

IP Logged
Karen627
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 06/07/05 at 18:11:09

I am so glad you're all right.  

You know what riders need?  We need someone to invent a collapsible tire iron.  Small enough to fit in the smallest saddlebag.  When something like this happens, you take it out, expand it to full size, and smack the other driver in the head with it.   Angry

As far as how they can not see us, I swear it doesn't matter if they do see us.  Here's a screwed up thing that it never occurred to me to watch out for -- I'm heading down a busy road, and it's close to rush hour so I'm in the middle of a long line of cars (plenty in front, and plenty behind).  There's a guy stopped in the oncoming lane, waiting (and waiting, and waiting) for a break so he can make a left.  The car in front of me passes through the intersection, and the guy waiting guns it through his left turn, right in front of me.  I stop short, locking the wheels, and barely miss hitting him.  If he'd taken the turn any slower, I would have hit him.  

And I was in my car.

Sometimes they see you just fine -- they just get impatient and figure they'll make you stop.

Ride safe, everyone.  And remember the first rule of riding: everyone's stupid except you.

IP Logged
Gitarzan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

!

Columbus, Oh, Earth, Solar Sys
Reply #11 - 06/07/05 at 18:24:59

dssaak wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
I was able to walk away with minor bruising and a fair amount of road rash.  

Watch for them because they sure are not watching out for you!

I'm glad yer OK.

2001 Cherry Red and Ivory Yamaha VStar 1100

IP Logged
bentwheel
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ride free, citizen

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Reply #12 - 06/07/05 at 18:40:16

I feel for you brother. It's such a surreal feeling after you've been hit, isn't it.  I was just rear ended on Saturday and walked away from it.  First time in 36 years a car has hit me.

Bentwheel FSO
2006 Suzuki 650 V-Strom
1977 Yamaha XS360
1972 Honda CL175
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #13 - 06/07/05 at 19:41:03

Goin' down is a rush I don't want to repeat but probably will anyway at one time or another.  However, anytime you can walk away it's a good day.  Glad to hear you could.  Smiley

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Deb
2005 No Login

02 silver savage :)
In the mountains of
East Tenn.

Tennessee
Reply #14 - 06/07/05 at 20:19:42

Glad you didn't get hurt. Gosh, I am going this weekend for my MSF classes and this scares me to hear this  Undecided

YaBBCJunior
Littled200056   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/30/24 at 14:10:04

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › First Time Going Down

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.