Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Finished Screamin Eagle II install and carb rejet (Read 6 times)
Hammy211
Ex Member

Finished Screamin Eagle II install and carb rejet
06/05/05 at 12:03:17

This took me about two week partly because I was waiting on parts and partly because I'm just not that good at time management or this kind of work.  I haven't rode it yet so hopefully it will be worth it, but boy is it loud.  I went with the Screamin Eagle b/c I like the slash cut and I figured the stock exhaust was so bad that it wouldn't be that loud.  It is though.  Extremely loud.

What I did:  

Carb rejet.  160 main.  Have 157.5 if that is to much.  Two washers in place of white spacer.  The are less that 1/3 the original thickness.  Be very careful taking those two screws out.  Had a heck of a time getting the carb on and off the bike.  Very tight fit.  I also replaced all the screws with stainless allen.  Haven't yet messed with the idle mixture.  Any way to tell if I'm rich besides pulling the plug?

Intake.  Drop in K&N.  Removed snorkel.  Drilled many holes in the airbox door.

Screamin Eagle II exhaust.  Used a aluimium can as a small shim along with a 1 #3/4 in muffler clamp.  Went on pretty easy but I could not bend the mount on the muffler.  I might have been able to if I tried harder but it didn't look like is was going to work very well like that either.  Instead I bent the muffler bracket down and out just a little.  Then I bent the flat surface to match the muffler mount better.  This lined up the bracket and the mount just at their edges.  Drilled holes in both and bolted on.  Things didn't look much like the how-to's but it works.  Only thing I wondered about it how to tell if I have any exhaust leaks.

New plug.  Standard heat range NGK.  Could not find iridium plug.

Removed sissy bar and rear fender.  Replaced rear blinkers with blinkers from a Honda 929.  That filled one set of holes.  Others were fill with the chrome bolt that held the fender on.  Removed front blinkers.  Can't get the 929 ones on there right now so I am going to go without for a while.  

Removed engine guard.  

Raise front seat 1 in.

IP Logged
Hammy211
Ex Member

Re: Finished Screamin Eagle II install and carb re
Reply #1 - 06/05/05 at 12:07:40

Also put on new horn.  This is very very simple and takes less than 5 min.  The horn screwed right into one of the bolt holes.  used a washer so that when I tightened it it would be facing forward.  

When you take off the tank I highly recommend draining the tank and unscrewing the petcock just a little.  It can be done without, but it is 100x easier with it loose.  

Also a Napa fuel filter is a very easy addition.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #2 - 06/05/05 at 12:15:00

Let us know about the #160 main.  I think that might be just a bit rich, especially with a stock header pipe.  If it is you'll see a puff of black smoke in bright sunlight when you crack open the throttle from idle.  You may even smell it.

Why do people drill holes in the airbox door?  I mean, I know what we're trying to do, but why that way?

IP Logged
Oklahoma_Mike
2005 No Login

With two on the
ground love can be
found

Tulsa Oklahoma Area
Reply #3 - 06/05/05 at 14:15:25

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
Let us know about the #160 main.  I think that might be just a bit rich, especially with a stock header pipe.  If it is you'll see a puff of black smoke in bright sunlight when you crack open the throttle from idle.  You may even smell it.

Why do people drill holes in the airbox door?  I mean, I know what we're trying to do, but why that way?

I got the same question. I just took the door off. Much better flow than trying to swiss cheese it even with a lot off holes you still have materal that will block airflow. and at anytime if I want I just put the door back on and back to stock.  8)

IP Logged
Hammy211
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 06/05/05 at 21:47:25

Oklahoma_Mike wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
I got the same question. I just took the door off. Much better flow than trying to swiss cheese it even with a lot off holes you still have materal that will block airflow. and at anytime if I want I just put the door back on and back to stock.  8)

A few reasons.  First I didn't want to damage the actual airbox and I can get a new door fairly easily.  Second, I don't know how easy water enters the air box but I figured holes rather than having the whole thing off would still provide some barrier to that.  Lastly, I was waiting on my muffler to arrive and got bored.  It was kinda fun.  

I reved the bike up a bit and caught just a hint of fuel smell.

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #5 - 06/06/05 at 03:47:40

Hey Hammy

Like Greg says a bigger i.d. header would be good (38mm).

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
Hammy211
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 06/06/05 at 10:44:17

OK, I switched to jet to a 157.5 b/c 160 just sounded like a little much.  First ride I was getting quite a few back fires.  Think I'm going to switch it back to the 160 and see if there is any improvement.  

Bike sounded awesome.  Huge improvement in speed as well.  I only got it up to about 70 but where as before it might take me 1/4 mile with considerable dropoff above 50, this time out I zipped right on up there in less than a block with no hint of the thing slowing down.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #7 - 06/06/05 at 11:26:28

Is your idle mixture still factory set?

IP Logged
Hammy211
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 06/07/05 at 00:12:24

No.  Right now it is screwed out 1 3/4 turn from bottoming out.  I mess with it so I'm not sure where it was before I drilled out the plug.  I rode it about 50 miles earlier today with the 160 in.  It was fantastic to ride but the backfires were horrible.  Any time I really got on it even the slightest twitch of letting up on the throttle causes a backfire.  Backfires shifting through the gears at every shift.  I don't feel like I should ride it anymore until I can get it somehow tuned a little better.  Any suggestions would be great.  

Is the header suggestion still relevent?  I was under the assumption that backfires are caused by a lean condition.  Am I oversimplfing things?

Tommorow I was thing about throwing the stock air filter back in just to see how it affected things.  Hopefully I didn't throw it away.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #9 - 06/07/05 at 08:20:51

If the backfires are that bad - you might want to go through the area of largest change - the exhaust - make sure - real sure - it is tight - no leaks anywhere or it will sound like a 12ga everytime you let up on it. I believe it lets it suck air when you have any leaks and let up on it

IP Logged
Hammy211
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 06/08/05 at 03:23:48

Three full turns out is what I had to set my idle mixture at.  Guess I might need a new pilot.  Just got back from a 90 mile ride.  I had 4 backfires all in the same situation slowing from about 50 coming into towns.

I'm going to size up the pilot and drop my needle just a bit and see how things go, but I am pretty happy with it now.  I'm not sure what kind of washers I have on the needle now but there are two of them that together are just barely less than 1/2 the original spacer.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/30/24 at 16:21:04

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Finished Screamin Eagle II install and carb rejet

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.