Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Fork lock replacement? (Read 51 times)
red2k1
Ex Member

Re: Fork lock replacement?
Reply #15 - 06/03/05 at 05:16:24

No fork lock key either.  I use a disk brake lock like others. The lock is small, easy to use and effective (when I use it).

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #16 - 06/03/05 at 05:45:27

I guess it depends on how long I'll leave her parked.  If it's all day at work I use the disc lock, steering lock and the Gorilla alarm.  It's certainly not foolproof but it's additional deterrent.  Some folks chuckle because I installed an alarm on a Savage but I maintain simply that it's my Savage.  The alarm unit is mounted on the opposite side as the horn (see below) and an indicator LED is mounted in the triple-tree.  It's been there for 6 months and working fine.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #17 - 06/04/05 at 06:50:43

gandalph40 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
The key turns fine, but not far enough to "catch" and hold.  I guess I'm looking for ideas about what I should be looking for to try to correct my problem.  I'd really rather lock the fork and right now I can't.

Tom

Not only do you need to wiggle the forks to line up the lock and hole, you also have to push the lock IN to lock the forks.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #18 - 06/04/05 at 06:53:17

red2k1 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
No fork lock key either.  I use a disk brake lock like others. The lock is small, easy to use and effective (when I use it).

We have disk locks with an alarm built in.  Pretty annoying sound too.

IP Logged
gandalph40
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 06/04/05 at 07:02:47

I'll continue to try the fork lock, but, I already knew the key had to push in, and lord knows I've wiggled the fork enough to flat spot a tire.  Thanks for all the advice.  It lets me know that I'm trying all the right stuff...

Tom

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #20 - 06/04/05 at 09:44:12

Can't the dealer just get you a key that fits?

IP Logged
gandalph40
Ex Member

Reply #21 - 06/04/05 at 10:55:31

I should have started a separate thread for this...my key works, turns, pushes in, everything except catching the lock itself so that it will engage.  It's like the fork won't QUITE turn far enough to let it engage...but the bike has never been wrecked and I'm pretty sure the forks are straight.  Hence, my wondering if this was something anyone else had happen to them...  it's just puzzling...it should work but won't "catch"...weird.

Tom

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #22 - 06/04/05 at 22:08:30

Mine was like that. I say was because the last time I used it, the d**n key didn't want to come back out. And then the lock didn't want to unlock. It's still attached to the bike, BUT, I found out that a sharp blow from a blacksmith's hammer will unlock it...
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #23 - 06/05/05 at 08:29:38

gandalph40 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
I should have started a separate thread for this...my key works, turns, pushes in, everything except catching the lock itself so that it will engage.  It's like the fork won't QUITE turn far enough to let it engage...but the bike has never been wrecked and I'm pretty sure the forks are straight.  Hence, my wondering if this was something anyone else had happen to them...  it's just puzzling...it should work but won't "catch"...weird.

Tom

You know...it's not like the fork has to turn "far enough" because if I remember correctly, you actually turn the fork a little back from the full lock position to engage the lock and the hole (groove, slot, whatever).  I don't think that mine will lock if I turn it all the way to the stop...

IP Logged
Richard Amirault

Reply #24 - 06/06/05 at 12:39:45

Yes, All the way over and I can't lock mine ... as a matter of fact when I unlock it I have to move it from "full lock" so that the lock will pop up.

NOTE:  The owners manual has a spot to write the key numbers of *both* the ignition and fork lock.

The ignition number is on the key itself, but the fork number is on a metal tag attached to the keys when you get them.

The tag soon gets lost, but if the number was written in the manual you *may* have a shot at getting a replacement key (or whoever buys your bike in the distant future;-)

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #25 - 06/06/05 at 13:34:38

Luckily the guy I bought mine from had one key.  I bought a couple of blanks from eBay and had copies made at my local ACE Hardware.  I noticed you can also get blanks from RonAyers - at least they're on the microfiche.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/21/24 at 13:11:23

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Fork lock replacement?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.