Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New clutch at 12,000 miles??? Help Please. (Read 6 times)
Glock_N_Roll
Ex Member

New clutch at 12,000 miles??? Help Please.
06/05/05 at 23:04:20

I bought my 1997 Savage with 12,505 miles.  I have since put  
200 miles on it.  My uncle took a look at the bike and seems to think that the bike has 112,000 miles on it.  The dealer didn't mention anything about the odometer been around once already( not that he would).

Anyways, when i'm in 4th or 5th gear and I roll on full throttle, the engine will just rev higher but not really accelerate very fast.  However if i roll a little throttle, it will accelerate a little better.

My uncle things the clutch is slipping and therefore need a new one.

Any ideas?  How many miles should a clutch last?  How much would a new one cost installed?  

Thanks for the help.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Re: New clutch at 12,000 miles??? Help Please.
Reply #1 - 06/05/05 at 23:44:25

This comes up fairly frequently with Japanese bikes...

Adjust your clutch cable. 1/32 inch LESS freeplay than the book calls for. It works.

Switch to 20W50 DINO oil. Clutch seems to engage better than with 10W40 dino or syn or blended.

Unless you bought your bike from a guy named Frank who lives in southern California, your mileage is accurate. His is the only 97 model Savage I know of with over 100K miles on it.

Clutch life varies based on maintenance and riding style. I've had HD clutches last 10 years, or 10 minutes. Honda ditto. The harder you "spank" the throttle, the faster the clutch wears, just like side slipping a car clutch.

Do you need a new clutch? Maybe. Does the bike "stink" when you leave the line? If it doesn't your clutch is likely fine. Does the bike "stutter or chatter" really bad when you crack the throttle?  No-clutch is okay, yes-clutch is likely nearing the end of its service life.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #2 - 06/06/05 at 05:32:18

Try adjusting the freeplay as WD says, and maybe change the oil too...no telling what the previous owner put in there.

If all that fails to fix it, you'll have to pull the cover and inspect the clutch plates.

IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #3 - 06/06/05 at 07:50:41

It happened to me 3 times on bikes below 15K mi , but all of these were 86-88 model , so I thought the main reason is the bigger step between the gears. I changed the plates and put preload on the springs / wasners/ , and everything was OK.
May be WD is right, but from my expirience "it is too good to be truth".
To check the clutch plates You have to do all the work like changing the plates. Better get Yourself a new clutch cover gasket, new friction plates and if You can get stronger springs it will be awesome or if not- just be prepared to go to the hardwear store for couple of washers. Change the plates, put the recommended oil, adjust the free play , and be a happy camper.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
Glock_N_Roll
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 06/06/05 at 09:31:00

I changed the oil yesterday w/ 20-W50 and it still does it.  

Also my uncle and I adjusted the clutch and there is no adjustment left.  So i'm not sure at this point.

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #5 - 06/06/05 at 10:35:41

Does the biek top out at 65 or so? If so, you may check the cam tensioner.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #6 - 06/06/05 at 11:43:36

Glock_N_Roll wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
I changed the oil yesterday w/ 20-W50 and it still does it.  

Also my uncle and I adjusted the clutch and there is no adjustment left.  So i'm not sure at this point.

Small adjustments at the hand control and large adjustments at cable via the lock nuts on the engine case - what does no adjustment left mean ?

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/21/24 at 13:26:26

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New clutch at 12,000 miles??? Help Please.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.