Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Fork lock replacement? (Read 51 times)
DavidV
Ex Member

Fork lock replacement?
06/02/05 at 07:34:26

I'm new around here.  I passed the Rider's Edge MSF class & the state license test a few weeks ago, and bought a 2000 LS650 soon after.  I've never ridden before, so this is the perfect bike.  So far it's been a lot of fun, backfires and all.

So here's the question - how do you replace the fork lock cylinder?  The previous owner didn't have a key.  The Clymer manual doesn't mention it, and I haven't found anything in the archives here.  I've already got the replacement lock - is there more to this job than just drilling out the old one?  Or is there a simpler approach?

I appreciate any help you can offer.

Thanks, David

IP Logged
gandalph40
Ex Member

Re: Fork lock replacement?
Reply #1 - 06/02/05 at 09:07:16

I'll add a related question...my fork lock won't...there doesn't seem to be any obstruction and the key works, but it just won't lock/catch.  

I've been riding about 15 years (this is my 5th bike, I think) and this is frustrating me...I've tried everything with the exception of disassembling the forks to inspect it.  Any ideas?  This happen to anyone else?

Tom

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #2 - 06/02/05 at 12:28:33

@DavidV
You can only remove the lock when you have the propper key. Then drill out the little rivet and install the new lock.
If however you don't have the proper key drilling out the complete lock is the only optin.
@gandalph40
The lock can be turned with the proper key ( when the key can be inserted does not mean it can be turned).
Yuo have to wiggle the steering bar a bit.

Greetz
Kropatchek Grin

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
gandalph40
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 06/02/05 at 12:45:18

The key turns fine, but not far enough to "catch" and hold.  I guess I'm looking for ideas about what I should be looking for to try to correct my problem.  I'd really rather lock the fork and right now I can't.

Tom

IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Reply #4 - 06/02/05 at 12:51:32

I have to move the steering column back and forth a bit to get the lock catch on the groove inside. Even the guy at the dealer doesn't know how to lock it when my bike is delivered to me  Angry

SavageDude

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
650-rider

Reply #5 - 06/02/05 at 12:54:41

I have a related question please.  How many riders use the fork lock?  I am new to motorcycling and I forgot I had the fork lock at all.  If you had a disk brake lock plus the fork lock is that considered pretty good protection?  Or should the bike also be locked to a stationary object?

I know this is a matter of opinion, but I wanted to see how the more experienced riders lock their bikes.

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #6 - 06/02/05 at 13:07:58

650-rider wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
I have a related question please.  How many riders use the fork lock?  I am new to motorcycling and I forgot I had the fork lock at all.  If you had a disk brake lock plus the fork lock is that considered pretty good protection?  Or should the bike also be locked to a stationary object?

I know this is a matter of opinion, but I wanted to see how the more experienced riders lock their bikes.

I never use the fork lock. Think it offers very limited protection. Have not tried it but I think if you jerk the steering hard it( the lock) will break.
The discbrake lock works for me.

Greetz
Kropatchek Grin

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
Michael
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 06/02/05 at 14:18:48

As others  said, you need to wiggle the bars back and forth slightly to get it to work. I went about 3-4 months thinking my lock was faulty, untill I tried this. Works like a charm every time.

Reach up with one  hand and wiggle the bar as you are turning the key, while pushing in slightly with the other hand.  Your bars (wheel) should be pointing as far left, as they will go.

The inside of the lock pushes in while locked, and pops out when not locked. This should take very little pressure, so if it won't turn easily, you may have the wrong key.

cheers

Michael

IP Logged
lordzamize
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 06/02/05 at 14:44:31

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #9 - 06/02/05 at 17:32:34

I have something similar:

You can see it curled up on the sissy-bar (click on the picture to make it bigger.)   I normally park with the cable through the frame, and through the front wheel or aound fixed object; or, if possible, through all three.

My GS450E was taken from the DMV parking lot by someone with a master key -- witness said he unlocked the fork, started the bike and rode off.

WWW   IP Logged
bobo383
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Neck=Red

Arlington, TX
Reply #10 - 06/02/05 at 17:36:31

I rarely use any fork lock, but then again my bikes sleep in a locked garage.

Arlington Texas
Used to have 98 & 88 Savages
  IP Logged
DavidV
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 06/02/05 at 17:42:41

I'm definitely not planning to rely on the fork lock by itself.  But I would like to have it available, along with an external lock or two.

The more difficult you make it to steal, the more likely the prospective thief will skip yours and go on to the next one.  Junkies and joyriders don't have much of a work ethic.

IP Logged
bobo383
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Neck=Red

Arlington, TX
Reply #12 - 06/02/05 at 17:45:13

DavidV wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
I'm definitely not planning to rely on the fork lock by itself.  But I would like to have it available, along with an external lock or two.

The more difficult you make it to steal, the more likely the prospective thief will skip yours and go on to the next one.  Junkies and joyriders don't have much of a work ethic.

Very true.

Arlington Texas
Used to have 98 & 88 Savages
  IP Logged
Hey You

Reply #13 - 06/02/05 at 19:25:57

From http://www.vintagebmw.org/current/tech/tech29.htm

Removing the Steering Stem Lock

A quick little tech tip, for those who have lost the key for the frame/steering lock on an airhead, can't find a key blank, and want to remove the lock, to replace the whole thing with a new lock and key set.

1. Take two small screwdrivers, and drive each one under the Neiman chrome lock cover, on each side of the retaining rivet. Pry the cover up, and remove it alony with the rivet.

2. When you look at the end of the lock, you will see the round barrel of the lock, with the key slot, and square box, on the top. that box is where the tumblers and springs of the lock are located. On the top of that square block, there is a thin band of sheet metal, that retains the springs and tumblers. Use an ice pick to lever the plate out, so you can grab the end of it with a pair of needle nose pliers.

3. Remove the plate completely, and you will notice that the ends of 4 springs, that push the tumblers down, into the lock, will jump up and their ends will be visible in the small open area directly above the lock. Bend yourself a small hook, out of piano wire, and reach into this area, snag each spring, and pull it out of the body of the lock.

4. Insert a flat blade screwdriver into the key slot, and use a light hammer to drive the screwdriver into the slot. Don't go crazy here, just drive it in enough that it will stick in the slot.

5. use a blow gun on a air line from an air compressor, and blow air into the key slot. This will push all four of the tumblers up, out of the lock. While you are constantly blowing the air into the lock, turn the screwdriver in a counter clockwise direction, and the lock will rotate. When you have it rotated, simply pull the screw driver out, and the body of the fork lock will come out of the frame, on the end of the screwdriver.

Simple Eh?

That is how I have removed them in /2's for years.

-Vech

IP Logged
DavidV
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 06/02/05 at 20:28:30

Vech-

That's pretty cool stuff.  I had thought of picking it, but that could take forever for someone new to the skill.  Thanks for the reply.  

Fortunately your technique requires many tools, so it doesn't help any aspiring thieves.

Regards, David

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/21/24 at 14:36:42

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Fork lock replacement?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.