Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Hi All (Read 6 times)
Bluejeanz
Ex Member

Re: Hi All
Reply #30 - 06/05/05 at 19:07:42

Laura,

I missed this post from the beginning, but I've read all the comments and replies and I'm caught up now.

The second day I had my bike, I was making a right hand turn, out of a parking lot, uphill, from a dead stop, into traffic.  And I dumped my bike.  Basically, I held the front brake and twisted the throttle at the same time.  What that did was cause the rear end to do a run-around on me and the bike went down with me under it.  That was in September of last year.  And my shoulder still wakes me up every night.

BUT...I'm back on my bike and riding.  And riding well.  And riding far.  And riding lots and lots and lots.  And loving every minute of it.

Don't let Greg get you down.  He's a good guy and really can be very helpful.  He's a guy though.  They think and react differently than we do.  He didn't mean to offend...(at least that's not the impression I have have).

As for getting back out there, my husband is a newbie rider.  He just started riding this week and I can tell you, if your husband and/or father care about you getting back on the bike and doing it right, they will ride with you and do it YOUR way.  

I've been out with my husband on two long trips this weekend.  It was hard for him.  He hasn't ever crashed, but he has a 25 year old son who lost his right leg from the knee down in a motorcycle accident.  Riding is a major step for him and he is VERY nervous.

BUT, I want him to ride, and therefore it has to be a positive experience for him.  I let him ride at his own pace, even when that means slowing down for all the fun twisties and riding way out of our way just because he isn't comfortable with a certain situation yet (a hill, or a corner, or a traffic pattern).

Your father or your husband should understand that and be willing to ride with you, letting you set the pace and choose the path.  It will be good for both of you.

I'm glad to hear you went out and washed the bike.  Now sit on her and start it up.  You don't have to go anywhere if you don't want...but give her a chance to talk to you.  Pull the clutch.  Rev the engine.  Play with her.  Get familiar again...it's like cousins at the family reunion who used to play together but haven't seen each other in a long time...there's a period of shyness, but soon, they are playing again like no time ever lapsed.  

You and your beautiful Pearl white baby will be the same way.  Take your time, do only what you feel like, but get back out there.  You owe it to yourself.

AND...what I think Greg was hinting at was this...  I know what I did wrong that day.  I honestly evaluated the situation and went over and over in my head what I did, what I failed to do, and what I should have done.  To this day, I think about my mistake every time I find myself in a similar situation.  I won't ever make that mistake again.  I turned the accident into a positive learning experience and moved on.  

Don't worry about what anybody else thinks, says, or believes about what really happened that day.  Work with it in your own head until you KNOW what happened...then learn from it.  Once you've honestly evaluated it, passed by the "I don't know's" and the "for some reason's" and realized exactly what mistake you made, you'll have a solid learning that you can file away and I can almost guarantee you won't ever do it again.

Keep coming back for support.  We're here for you and we want to hear about your progress.

Hang in there chicky...!  (Yes, it's official...all us females write long posts).

IP Logged
Karen627
Ex Member

Reply #31 - 06/06/05 at 01:02:16

Whoa there.  Wait a second -- come back!   Embarrassed  

Seems to me what Greg was trying to do was a sort of boot camp motivational thing.  (Greg, forgive me if I've misinterpreted.)  Sort of like, "Okay, shut up and get back on that *%$!ing bike!"  The idea, I guess, being to shock the fear out of you and make you... well, make you get back on that %#@!ing bike.  Tough love, as it were.  

Of course, that approach isn't always effective -- the person using it risks making the person on the receiving end feel attacked.  It depends on the frame of mind of the person who's asking to be motivated.  I think I get what he was trying to say, but I can also understand why you wouldn't want to hear it quite that way.  

I'll admit, though, that saying, "right, get back on the $#@!ing bike" might be a good idea.  A while back, I went over when I botched a U-turn in a cul-de-sac.  I grazed the curb, and down went the bike, and me.  Embarrassing and unnerving.  I shut off the engine, stepped away from the bike and stood there stunned, thinking, "Uh... what do I do now?"  

Then I picked it up, and checked myself and the bike for damage -- no real damage to the bike, just a slightly bloodied elbow for me, but a lot of damage to my confidence.   I got back on, started it back up, and went right ahead and... sat there.  I thought about calling my husband to ride it back to the house for me -- hey, it was late, I was going to head home anyway.  

Then I thought, "Just ride the %$#!ing thing."  Started riding, turned around, came back to the cul-de-sac, and did the freakin' U-turn again.  And again, and again.  Decided I wasn't going to end the ride with a mistake -- I would end it with overcoming the mistake.  I wasn't going to go home all shaken and tense.  Instead, I was able to go home, smile, hold up my elbow, and proudly say to my husband, "Hey, look, my first road rash!"

I think that's the toughness Greg's talking about.  Obviously your story is different in that more damage was done.  But you sound like you really want to ride again, so you've already got in you the toughness Greg was trying to bring out.

Ya know what?  Even if it's just to mess with the friction zone a little bit or maybe do a little power walking in first gear, try taking a small first step towards conquering the fear.  So just say, "$#@! it, I'm getting the $#@! back on."  8)  Cheesy

(How's that, ladies?  A long post, now with new and improved cartoon profanity!) Grin

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #32 - 06/06/05 at 05:37:36

Good one.... Grin

IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #33 - 06/06/05 at 12:38:32

The bottom line is there are lots of folks here happy to help including Greg_650. He is a great guy -- he helped coach me through a thing or two. Everyone here would get on their bike and head over to help you out if we could. So hang in there!

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
HawkEye1967
2005 No Login

L. T. R..R. T. L
 Ridding for the Son

Reply #34 - 06/06/05 at 21:47:47

I myself have had my share of mishaps, the last one 4 years ago, broke 3 bones in my right arm and hand, I got up right away and was back on my bike, very easy to say Very Hard to do, just rember what got you on the bike in the first place, you had fun, keep it that way stay in your comfort zone until you are ready to leave, I don't post here very much but have rarley seen a mean comment from one rider to another, we all
Live to Ride and Ride to Live, this forum cares, because we have been there Wink

IP Logged
Red_Wine

Chain-drive, 400cc
Black Savage in
Chile

Santiago, Chile
Reply #35 - 06/07/05 at 12:45:10

Laura,
the only mistake I think Greg made was the tone of his comment, but all the ideas and suggestions behind it are as valuable as gold.

If you felt attacked, I think Greg already apologized and claimed no offense intended. If can't excuse him for being a bit harsh sometimes, I do not understand how you can be married; all men are harsh sometimes. In this case, I feel he tried to do a "wake up" call on you, so you can identify your mistake, work over it, and not repeat it again.

After all, he's just another Eastener who has become a Westerner,  Grin

KTRSD,

RW

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #36 - 06/08/05 at 05:19:02

Red_Wine wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
After all, he's just another Eastener who has become a Westerner,  Grin

Actually, now I think I'm really an East-westerner... Cheesy

Geez, Laura didn't come back.  Is she lurking and mad still?

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #37 - 06/08/05 at 05:37:05

Hopefully not.  Maybe she's riding.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Gitarzan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

!

Columbus, Oh, Earth, Solar Sys
Reply #38 - 06/08/05 at 09:44:34

Oklahoma_Mike wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
That Greg is why I HATE Angry coke! Stupid joke I know, just trying to change the tempo of this post.
8)PEPSI 8) ALL THE WAY!!!! 8)

7Up would be more appropriate.

2001 Cherry Red and Ivory Yamaha VStar 1100

IP Logged
Red_Wine

Chain-drive, 400cc
Black Savage in
Chile

Santiago, Chile
Reply #39 - 06/08/05 at 09:53:33

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
Hopefully not.  Maybe she's riding.

Hope so... and chilling out....

RW

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #40 - 06/08/05 at 14:27:58

Laura ... please come back ... this Message Forum truly is the very BEST bunch of people I've ever had the pleasure of being associated with in cyberspace ... in fact, even if I didn't Ride a Savage, I'd still hang here once and awhile ... this place is full of great advice (such as Greg gave in his own "unique" way), good laughs, easy (and sometimes thought provoking) conversation and super friends. Ohhh and Savage ownership just happens to be a bonus.
Relax, take your time, climb back on the horse ... and Ride Safe ... and yes please come back; you are more than welcome here!

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #41 - 06/09/05 at 19:54:01

Laura....Laura....You out there?  

Come back and play.  Okay?  We really aren't all a$$holes....

We really would like to participate with you on your next ride...... Cheesy

PS- read Sluggo's topic and I'll tell you about mine  8)

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/30/24 at 14:31:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Hi All

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.