Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Hi All (Read 6 times)
lordzamize
Ex Member

Re: Hi All
Reply #15 - 06/03/05 at 05:12:03

Just to chime in...

I went through the MSF Course here in MD and received my liscense in 2003.  I saved my money, and in 2004 I bought a 97 Savage.

I started out just practicing on the backroads around my apartment complex, until I felt comfortable enough to ride on the highway.  

Life was going great and I was having a blast.  There were a few close calls along the way, but I always managed to avoid them, darn cages...

Anyway, all of this changed though when I got hit by a car while stopped at a yield sign.  The bike wasn't damaged that bad, just a torn saddle bag, but I was angry with the car driver, and that sort of set the self doubt in motion.  A few weeks later I layed the bike down when i thought a car was going to roll through my turning lane, I had almost been hit the week before while starting my right turn, on the RIGHT HAND SIDE!  After laying the bike down I worked on her to get her back in shape to ride, but I didn't ride much at all.  My self doubt and lack of confidence in riding was too high.  But, here it is, 2005, and I am riding again.  I'm not riding as much as i was last year though.  It might be because of the self doubt, might be because of life changes, but I can honestly say that when i got back on and went for a ride, I was smiling from ear to ear, and it only took about 5 seconds to get my balance back.

I suppose the point I'm trying to make is that even though we've all gone through rough times on our bikes, it just takes a little courage, practice, and patience, and very soon we're back on the road, happy again.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #16 - 06/03/05 at 06:37:16

justlaura wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
hi...im almost 36 and just got my first bike last fall...i spent a good chunk of my young years (7-16) on the back of a bike with either my dad or my mom...at 10 my dad taught me to ride...first on the front lawn and then up and down the street...never even getting into 3rd gear...anyway...my dad got rid of his bike around the time i was 16...he took to the ocean for awhile but last summer he went out and got himself an intruder...a giant 1500 that made my heart smile...so after a ride or two with him i found myself at our local bike shop signing up for the msf classes much to my husbands dismay...the class was fantastic...i felt so empowered and free...3rd gear and all...anyway i passed the class and got my license and then proceeded to bug my husband for the cash to buy a bike...he relented and i went out and got myself a brand new s40...white...very sharp...couldn't wait to get out...i brought it home on a friday...rode around the neighborhood for about an hour...again another hour saturday...sunday morning i went out nice and early... i rode up and down my streets until i felt comfortable and then i was headed to a big parking lot that would be good practice space...i left my house at 7 am so i wouldn't run into much traffic...unfortunately i did just that...i ran into a truck sitting at a stop light....i was taking...or trying to take a really tight right hand turn and....well...in class they taught us to look into the turn and where you look is where you'll go....well...i guess i must have looked at the truck because i drove into the truck...i twisted and smashed up my leg pretty good...still trying to figure out why the bike jumped forward...my gloves stuck on the throttle a bit and i guess...anyway....i spent 2 months on crutches and had knee surgery over the winter...i have been really determined to not let this crash stop me from riding and couldn't wait for the spring to come...now it's here...and my bike sits in the shed waiting for me to come and start her up...i went out as a passenger with my dad a couple times and honestly the first time i was really nervous...it's better each time but i still haven't pulled betty out of the shed...i've been coming here and reading posts and getting some courage back and it's been nice to see other new riders and new women riders...anyone out there with words of encouragement and wisdom to offer?...i read about sam going off her street and it makes me itch to get out there...i think tomorrow if the sun shines i'll at least take her out and give her a bath... Smiley

It's a shame that your first crash was that serious.  I've had some good ones myself, more than I can remember, but none that serious.

Start with your last sentence.  Go out and tinker and start bonding again.  If you really want to ride, let your crash be another lesson.  The MSF course only gives you the knowledge and basic skills to "learn to ride" safely.  20 supervised and controlled hours in a parking lot could never prepare anyone for all the possibilities on the open road....What did you learn from hitting the truck?  What part of the "slow, look, lean, roll" sequence did you miss?  You know, and now it is history...time to move on.

Sounds like you have all the desire and knowledge to ride a bike, but you need some mentoring to help you gain confidence....which is probably why you froze and ran into the truck.  It's kinda like the buddy system.  You need somone to ride with you (not a passenger).  In your MSF course you probably felt more relaxed because you could watch others and the instructors were watching you...but it's a different story riding solo in the real world and no amount of instruction or videos could ever teach all that....which is why they stress "looking ahead" to anticipate potential problems...

Go back out, wax your bike, start the engine, walk/ride the bike around your yard...baby steps and practice will make you an experienced and competent rider.  Go for it...

IP Logged
Paula71
2005 No Login

Ohio Rider 'N Luvn
every minute!

Troy, Ohio
Reply #17 - 06/03/05 at 17:19:40

[color=Orange][/color] Hey Laura, I know how you feel.  I got my pearl white a few weeks ago.  Learned the hard way not to look at what you dont want to see up close.  Riding along came to a tight curve, seen bicyclists at end of curve, got the picture?  Well luckily they kept moving and I missed them, but I went straight off that curve onto the shoulder and down I went. Hit the ground at about 15 mph. Landed with a thud. Although I did not sustain injuries like you, pretty bruised up shins and road rash on the ole elbow, I was shakin the next time out.  All the confidence I had before was gone, it was like I had never rode before.  I started back practicing in the school parking lot, some slow weaves and circles, before I knew it I wanted 2nd gear.  It took several times out before I was brave to go to far.  It sounds like you are a rider for sure and everyone has given great advice.  Take it slow, stay in your comfort zone, take a deep breath and I know you will be riding comfortable again soon. There is my book Wink Guess all these guys know us gals like to talk!

WWW sctsamj sctsamj   IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #18 - 06/03/05 at 18:55:08

There's lots of good advice here. The only thing I will add is that it is very helpful to ride with someone else when you are learning. I would suggest sitting down with either your husband or father and explaining to them what you want. If they want to help they'll listen.

When I learned my husband came with me. Our deal was that I went first and he followed. If I needed help or was struggling with something he was there but since I was always in front there was never any pressure to keep up or go faster than I wanted. Just some food for thought.

Take care of yourself and let us know when you get back on!

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
RadarORiley
Serious Thumper

No one notices how
you ride until you
fall off.

West Of Weatherford, Texas
Reply #19 - 06/03/05 at 19:48:18

Hi Laura, I think everyone dumps their bike, don't get discouraged. I've dumped mine and been dumped by expert riders. Keep practicing and don't be afraid to talk to other riders about what happened, and how to avoid a repeat. I think you'll find out that you will soon be back out there, and you'll be a better rider since you have your mandatory crash over with. By the way, I'm female, 62+ with 6 grandkids and still riding.

Radar O'Riley
  IP Logged
Oklahoma_Mike
2005 No Login

With two on the
ground love can be
found

Tulsa Oklahoma Area
Reply #20 - 06/03/05 at 20:38:12

Karen627 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
That's exactly it.  When I try to describe it to people, I end up saying things like "My brain splits -- part focuses one way, part focuses on something else" or something like that.   And, of course, it makes no sense to anyone.   Roll Eyes

"Its own mental channel" describes it perfectly.

Are you prone to shifting or braking in the corner. I only ask because you might be trying to do too much. I had a lot of problems starting out. I was over thinking the turns (too much thinking and not enough felling) I cured this problem in a large parking lot. I got use to turning through focusing on the target. Then started focusing on how the bike felt when following the same path. Now I can close my eyes and make almost any turn (I have never tried that but am sure I could do it) It is sometimes necessary to focus on a vehicle next to or behind you if you can’t feel you way through the turn you will be hard pressed to dodge the Vehicle if need be and hit all your marks. Now add braking or shifting to the equation and it is a lot to input. Another question when you are on the bike does it fit you like a custom Isotoner glove or like a mitten. To ride safely you must be comfortable. The more you are thinking about instead of learning the longer it will take to learn. Hope this helps now get out there and ride the wind!!!     8) 8)

IP Logged
justlaura
Ex Member

Reply #21 - 06/04/05 at 05:23:28

thanks to so many for all the input... Smiley

i can't tell you what part of slow, look, press and roll i missed....i was actually at a stop light...i think if the light was green and i could have gone thru it i would have made the turn without trouble...but i had to stop...so from a dead stop into a very tight right hand turn...and the bike seemed to me to lurch forward somehow when i started off...i tried to stop when i realized i wasn't turning and maybe when i tried to squeeze the brake i did roll on the throttle....it felt like my gloves grabbed it or something...i don't know...my husband says i didn't lean into the turn enough...(at all)...i guess that's what i need to learn from this crash....starting off going right into a  really tight turn...i don't know...
reading all the encouragement from everyone has been nice and i'm sure i'll get out there when i'm ready...whenever i talk about details or describe the crash it gets me all nervous all over again...i don't want to get on it and panic from bad memories so i'm waiting until i really feel ready... Undecided

IP Logged
diesel
2004 No Login

Watsontown, PA
Reply #22 - 06/04/05 at 21:23:57

one of the most difficult manovures on two wheels is a tight right hander on a very steep uphill from a dead stop. adding a passenger makes it that much more difficult. takes lots of pratcice.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #23 - 06/04/05 at 22:48:30

Nothing wrong with bouncing around the front yard...learning to ride is like learning to walk, it takes practice. I was down for over three years. It shows.

Just take your time. You'll get there.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #24 - 06/05/05 at 07:47:23

thanks to so many for all the input... Smiley

i can't tell you what part of slow, look, press and roll i missed....,<snip>...so from a dead stop into a very tight right hand turn...and the bike seemed to me to lurch forward somehow when i started off...i tried to stop when i realized i wasn't turning and maybe when i tried to squeeze the brake i did roll on the throttle....<snip>

Okay, sympathy time is over....you just plain goofed.  You describe it like a slow motion movie, and often that is the way we play these things back through our thoughts, but you just blew it.  Plain and simple, screwed up.  So let's get on with the healing process now...no more feeling sorry for ourselves.  You fell down, got hurt and you hurt your pride.  End of story.

Come on.  Clean out those cobwebs.  All that just sounds silly.  You took the MSF course, and you also had to complete the skills test for doing that tight u-turn/figure 8.  You will remember that at low speeds leaning is less of an issue while using a bit more body english is the trick.  

Let's be real, there isn't anything more or less complicated about a "very tight right hand turn".  What was it really?  A turn that you navigate in a car on a regular basis without even a second thought, right?  But it is too tight for a bike?  And you were already stopped?  

The bike didn't lurch forward.  You made the bike lurch forward.  You said, "I tried to stop, when I realized that I wasn't turning"....I love that one Cheesy.   AAHHhhhh.....crash....What was your clutch hand doing?  Flapping in the air?  

Do you remember your MSF instruction about always keeping your hand on the clutch lever?  That is so that you can always remove any forward power to the rear wheel. You were aimed straight at a truck and couldn't stop?  Think about it.  Even if the throttle was wide open, the clutch would have stopped you.  You have a clutch lever, a brake lever, and a brake pedal.....if you had been controlling the bike the way the MSF course taught you, you would have stopped...or actually navigated the turn anyway.

All this isn't intended to be humor at your expense....not intended to ridicule as much as to make you think.  If you are going to ride that bike again, you are gonna have to kick yourself in the butt, admit that you screwed up, and get back on that bike with the attitude that you aren't gonna make that stupid mistake again.....you may make others, but you are done with this one, now.

Go out and get a bunch of practice...baby steps.  Practice those "very tight right hand turns" a whole lot before you go back out on that street....and Ride Safe.

IP Logged
justlaura
Ex Member

Reply #25 - 06/05/05 at 10:57:12

thanks greg...i really appreciate your words...not...
i have repeated my story here more than once because i was asked about the circumstances...the corner is not one i go thru in a car on a regular basis and frankly i don't want to defend what happened...your right...i screwed up...i did indeed have my hand on the clutch and tried to use it to bring me back into control but whatever...i am new at this...i was really enjoying hearing what advise everyone had to offer...i felt good being able to talk to others who may have understood...diesel (sp?) wrote that it is one of the hardest manuvers on two wheels...that sharp right turn from a stop and for about a day that made me feel better...until i read your nice comments...whether you intended or not it wasn't very nice and sure doesn't make me feel like hoping on and trying again...i spent the morning washing and waxing and was just coming in to write about it and got the pleasure of reading your message instead...
i guess i'm too verbose and evidently seem to be looking for sympathy when in fact i came to this board to get myself pysched about riding again...to learn that i'm not alone in making a stupid mistake...maybe i thought someone out there could understand...maybe now i've just got my back up and feeling defensive but i really didn't expect to get blasted...thanks greg...i guess another mistake i made was coming to this forum to find friends and support...i'll have to learn from that as well...
hope everyone has a safe riding season...thanks to those who had helpful comments...see ya!

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #26 - 06/05/05 at 11:36:33

thanks greg...i really appreciate your words...not...
i have repeated my story here more than once because i was asked about the circumstances...the corner is not one i go thru in a car on a regular basis and frankly i don't want to defend what happened...your right...i screwed up...i did indeed have my hand on the clutch and tried to use it to bring me back into control but whatever...i am new at this...i was really enjoying hearing what advise everyone had to offer...i felt good being able to talk to others who may have understood...diesel (sp?) wrote that it is one of the hardest manuvers on two wheels...that sharp right turn from a stop and for about a day that made me feel better...until i read your nice comments...whether you intended or not it wasn't very nice and sure doesn't make me feel like hoping on and trying again...i spent the morning washing and waxing and was just coming in to write about it and got the pleasure of reading your message instead...
i guess i'm too verbose and evidently seem to be looking for sympathy when in fact i came to this board to get myself pysched about riding again...to learn that i'm not alone in making a stupid mistake...maybe i thought someone out there could understand...maybe now i've just got my back up and feeling defensive but i really didn't expect to get blasted...thanks greg...i guess another mistake i made was coming to this forum to find friends and support...i'll have to learn from that as well...
hope everyone has a safe riding season...thanks to those who had helpful comments...see ya!

Believe it or not, that IS support.  When you have several years under your belt, you'll know that to be true.  You have to look at it realistically.  Yes, you got hurt, and yes, the bike got banged up, but you have to tough through it and get back on.  Knowing where the screw up came from and how not to do it again is the key.  

And I speak as someone with his own share of roadrash....  I got hit by a car in a parking lot in 1967 on my first bike because I wasn't paying attention.  I have screwed up and flipped end-over-end at highway speed because I was stupidly drinking a bottled coke.  I have dropped a large tourer with my ex-spouse on board while doing a simple u-turn because I was drunker than snot.  I have driven a motorcycle offroad and head first down into a sewer drain because I was show boating.  I have driven a bike up and over a bike trailer and into the tow car because testosterone was at the controls.  Even my Savage got a few blemishes 5 years ago because I was leaning as I went through a bunch of leaves on the road.  In fact, I can't count the times that I've watched my bike rolling away without me for one reason or another.  So therefore, I'm not answering you with anything more than serious committed and honest advice.

And believe me, I do care if you get hurt.   That is why I write what I write.  If I didn't care, I wouldn't even respond.  If you want to ride motorcycles, you have to be tough about every aspect of the sport.  Pick yourself up, kick the tires, cuss a little, laugh a little and get back on.  Only then will you be able to enjoy it and ride safely.

Now, as for the entire Suzuki Savage forum...this isn't their fault.  My wicked fingers are not representative of this great group.  So, I apologise if I've created any false impressions.  I am the only a$$hole, here.

IP Logged
Oklahoma_Mike
2005 No Login

With two on the
ground love can be
found

Tulsa Oklahoma Area
Reply #27 - 06/05/05 at 13:25:09

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
I have screwed up and flipped end-over-end at highway speed because I was stupidly drinking a bottled coke.

That Greg is why I HATE Angry coke! Stupid joke I know, just trying to change the tempo of this post.
8)PEPSI 8) ALL THE WAY!!!! 8)

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #28 - 06/05/05 at 13:35:23

Sheesh, some days I can't do nuttin' right?

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #29 - 06/05/05 at 16:40:10

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
I am the only a$$hole, here.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! NOT!

In fact, I read your post and understood how you meant it and wondered at the possibility for misunderstanding on the other end of the conversation.  However, I was unwilling to try to clarify something that hadn't yet been defined as unclear.

Or maybe I was just gonna watch the show... but then I'd be another @ssh0le, wouldn't I?

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/30/24 at 20:20:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Hi All

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.