Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print
Valve Adjust? (Read 16 times)
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Valve Adjust?
06/01/05 at 15:33:39

Hey folks,

I don't think the valves have ever been adjsuted on my '97. The service amnual says to measure the clearance and adjsut with a screw driver if necessary.  What should I measure, and what do I adjust n(witha screw driver?????)?

thanks,

ks

PS didn't see any of this in the technical section...

IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Re: Valve Adjust?
Reply #1 - 06/01/05 at 19:20:03

Hey vroom1176;

I just did mine. You need to make sure that the piston is TDC so all the valves(exhaust & intake) relax. You should be able to slide the feller gage(0.08-0.13mm) in to each of them snuggly. If they need to be adjusted, loosen the hex nut on it with the flat head screw driver on top of it then adjust with the screw diriver until it snuggle fit over the feeler gage. I don't know what kind of service manual you have, but mine have very good pictures to show you how. If you need it badly, I can scan mine and send it to you.

Good luck;
SavageDude

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #2 - 06/02/05 at 09:29:37

thanks! I've got the Suzuki manual, which also has incorrect jet sizes! Sheeesh!

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #3 - 06/02/05 at 13:16:51

What jet size does it list ? - I have most service manuals - I do not see any errors on the jets - I do see an error on the 87 wiring diagram where the neutral light is labeled as a oil level indicator light

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #4 - 06/02/05 at 14:22:51

I think it called for a 150 main and 47.5 pilot. I can look if you are interested. Ray, at Ray's motorcycle repair (an excellent business), yanked out his microfiche slides and told me I had the stock jets despite what my Suzuki service manual said ('97 savage, btw).

ks

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #5 - 06/02/05 at 15:03:15

Was just curious - the 47.5 is the correct pilot jet for older US  and perhaps current Ca bikes/Eu bikes  - wonder if you have a CA/Eu service manual? (do not if there was a ca/Eu only - but maybe)

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #6 - 06/02/05 at 15:53:09

I think there are parts listed as "California only"...

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #7 - 06/02/05 at 16:33:48

CA - Canada in this case I believe

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #8 - 06/03/05 at 05:51:49

vroom1776 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
I think it called for a 150 main and 47.5 pilot. I can look if you are interested. Ray, at Ray's motorcycle repair (an excellent business), yanked out his microfiche slides and told me I had the stock jets despite what my Suzuki service manual said ('97 savage, btw).

ks

Is Ray a psychic?  How does he know from looking at a microfiche what is inside your carb?  Is that some kind of new x-ray?

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #9 - 06/03/05 at 05:55:54

vroom1776 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
Hey folks,

I don't think the valves have ever been adjsuted on my '97. The service amnual says to measure the clearance and adjsut with a screw driver if necessary.  What should I measure, and what do I adjust n(witha screw driver?????)?

thanks,

ks

PS didn't see any of this in the technical section...

You don't know the what or the how when it comes to ADJUSTing the valves?  

My advice would be to close your manual and ride your bike to the shop and let them do it.  Maybe they will let you watch so that you can learn.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #10 - 06/03/05 at 06:13:38

LOL! Greg is probably right and his advice is definitely the safest.  However, if you're an adventurous amateur like me and want to play anyway (or better yet, just for informational purposes), here's a decent explanation at Dan's Motorcycle Valve Adjustment.  The wrench and screwdriver will probably work but with the limited space, I thought I'd prefer the specialized tools like the Motion Pro Tappet Tool Set.  Oh, and the feeler gauges and timing plug wrench make the job easier.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #11 - 06/03/05 at 08:07:26

" Is Ray a psychic?  How does he know from looking at a microfiche what is inside your carb?  Is that some kind of new x-ray?"

Uh, I had my needles in my hand, and Ray looked at them.

" You don't know the what or the how when it comes to ADJUSTing the valves?  

My advice would be to close your manual and ride your bike to the shop and let them do it.  Maybe they will let you watch so that you can learn."

I have every intention of adjusting my own valves. I (presently) own three bikes, and don't have the money to pay for Ray (or a stealership) to work on my bike every time something goes bad or needs a little love.

"Dan's Motorcycle Valve Adjustment"

Thanks for the link!

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #12 - 06/03/05 at 08:39:07

Set them on the loose side of the specs. By the tappet tools. I have an OLD Honda set that works great for most Japanese and European bikes. Exhaust valves are a piece of cake, but to do the intake side, you'll need to pull the tank. And, buy an angled feeler gauge, much easier to deal with than a straight gauge.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #13 - 06/03/05 at 09:20:14

I modified the link in my post above to use BikeBandit as they were slightly cheaper and they also carry the angled feeler gauges and the timing plug wrench (if you want one - I do).

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #14 - 06/03/05 at 09:45:36

Here's my version of the timing plug tool, which I made after (years of using a bad practice) I finally punched a hole in a friend's timing plug cover with a screwdriver and hammer.

This one was made with scraps laying around the garage, but I like the one Rob has better Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 19:41:13

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Valve Adjust?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.