Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
What's in your saddlebags? (Read 10 times)
bentwheel
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ride free, citizen

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
What's in your saddlebags?
06/01/05 at 12:06:41

I commute to work from the city to a small town about 20 minutes away. I carry the usual stuff like rain gear: lunch, ball cap, lock, tools, you know. But there are a few things in there that I always treasure when out riding for pleasure. One of them is rubber sandals. Where I ride I am never far from water, whether it be Lake Huron; the St Clair River or numerous smaller rivers. I find it quite comforting to stop and remove my riding boots and take to the water in my sandals. I always find taking a break at the water very relaxing. Another great thing in my bags is a sling shot. It is a modern one that is metal with surgical tubing and a wrist support. It is quite powerful. It’s always fun sending stones into the water. I have also chased away a few varmints by the roadside with it. I once spotted a hornet’s nest and after a few misses the hornets sensed a problem and sent a few sentry’s my way. I’m not crazy. I had my helmet on, sitting on my bike with it idling. I called a truce and I left them alone.
 I do most of my riding on county or B roads. A lot of farmer’s fields and dead animals on the road. This brings about birds of prey. A lot of hawks and falcons around and now I hear even a bald eagle has been spotted in my area. I am always on the look out in the air for these magnificent huge birds. Quite often I come across them eating roadkill and I stop as close as I dare without scaring them off. This is one advantage of keeping an original muffler. Out of my saddlebags come my binoculars for a close look at them feeding.  Beautiful.
So, what do you keep in your saddlebags?

Bentwheel FSO
2006 Suzuki 650 V-Strom
1977 Yamaha XS360
1972 Honda CL175
  IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Re: What's in your saddlebags?
Reply #1 - 06/01/05 at 14:37:56

8)Great post there bentwheel! Don't use my saddlebags much, only every now and again ... not crazy 'bout 'em 'cause they're the soft kind ... they don't keep their shape and they look a little too big on the LS650 ... the bags do in a pinch however and I usually keep the MOM in there, along with some nylon over-pants (for cool days), a small notebook & pencil, a small camera, my luggage lock "tripmeter" (to keep track of when I last filled up with gas), helmet faceshield, extra pair of gloves, sunglasses ... that's pretty much it ... nothin' special.

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #2 - 06/01/05 at 15:29:59

Pabst Blue Ribbon (beer)

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #3 - 06/01/05 at 15:47:18

vroom1776 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
Pabst Blue Ribbon (beer)

PBR! and your in fort collins... when I lived in Kentucky about 30 years ago we made runs across the border to buy Coors and past on the PBR @ 3 bucks a case unless all of ours were busted of course this happened quite frequent

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #4 - 06/01/05 at 15:51:57

I use my trunk instead and I have tools, a first-aid kit, spare nuts and bolts, 1 quart of oil, a spark plug, a headlight bulb, a couple of turn-signal bulbs, a tire patch kit (the kind with a CO2 inflator) as well as 2 tire irons in my tools, a handful of nylon wire-ties, a roll of electrical tape, a tube of loctite, a hand-crank radio, and hand-crank LED flashlight, spare cables, bungee cords, a few rags, a disc lock, a couple of waterproof bags, a basic helmet bag, a ball cap, goggles (and room for a rain suit and/or mess-kit when needed).

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #5 - 06/01/05 at 17:35:41

when i use them, and it's not that often, they contain a rainsuit, first aid kit, both my piece's, camera, and a quick snack.

here's how they look on thumper

come to think of it i carry all the same things in my leathers with the exception of the rainsuit. maybe i should carry something else in them.   ???

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #6 - 06/01/05 at 19:19:52

The Savage is my go to work vehicle.

Unless I'm carrying/wearing the items in question the saddlebags hold my black leather motorcycle jacket, gloves, clear or dark glasses (to be replaced with something with better wind protection,) scarf, leather 'cowboy' hat, work ID on neckcord with pen and screwdriver, work keys, and/or reading glasses.  Papers are in an envelope inside the left lid, also carry an air gauge, four or five bungee cords, a couple of CD-ROMs.  

Unless I'm shopping, in which case things are removed so I can carry, in either bag, a 10# bag of potatos, two gallon jugs of milk, a 5-liter box of wine, or any number of smaller items.

The Laptop I carry in a backpack to save it from the thumps.  Presently the bike's at home and I'm sitting in the Beetle outside the Auto Club where daughter #3 is in a 2-hour driver-ed class.  Someone nearby is generous enough to leave their wireless access unsecured.

WWW   IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #7 - 06/01/05 at 23:05:28

Paladin. wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
 Someone nearby is generous enough to leave their wireless access unsecured.

that is always handy, and a frequent occurance even in a small town like moses lake.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #8 - 06/01/05 at 23:11:11

It is amazing to drive around and see just how many the card finds - shocked the first time I saw it!

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #9 - 06/02/05 at 00:49:39

i live in the county and have only slow dialup  when i need a large transfer i move it over to the lap top drive to the local freeway interchange and get my choice of several connections.  works good for me.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #10 - 06/02/05 at 05:59:43

Slow dialup...man of man, what a drag.  I have had to endure that for Y E A R S   now.  I am finally in conversation with a cable guy ( the first one to actually work with me ) about getting Roadrunner to my house.  The cable actually ends on the utility pole across the street from where my drive comes off of the paved road.  From there our little dirt/gravel drive goes about 300' to the front door of the house.  Since our little dirt/gravel drive has an official name (for the 911 emergency system) the cable company has always said "our cable line does not go to your road, or, your road is not listed   in our system as having access to one of our cable lines, or just you are not in our system".  
I started about 8 years ago calling for service and all I ever got was one of the automated messages that service was not abailable in my area.  Come to find out the very next house down the paved road has had service for over 10 years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Talk about being P I S _ E D !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
At the big spring homeshow at the fairgrounds I actually got to talk to a real person who knew something about how things work and he really listened.  What a change, for once I found intelligent life.  He got me in touch with an area tech rep who did some real research on where the lines are, and now he has put me in touch with the V-P who can authorize diverting from the scripted orders.  Is it possible that CUSTOMER SERVICE IS NOT DEAD AFTER ALL?  
Only time will tell.

IP Logged
Richard Amirault

Reply #11 - 06/02/05 at 07:27:16

Just put a nice pair of Willie & Max bags on my 04.  They are the "stardard" size .. about a half inch wider and taller than the 'official' Suzuki bags .. but they don't carry much.

A rain suit fills up 3/4 of one bag, and I keep the other mostly empty to carry "stuff".  (like my mail and the daily newspaper on my way to work .. or anything I might buy at a store to bring home)

Richard in Boston

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #12 - 06/02/05 at 08:10:57

On the extremely rare times I throw bags on one of my bikes, I carry lunch in one side, raingear, quarters and a small piston in the other. I prefer to use a framed day-pack instead of saddle bags. Bags that fit the Savage are a mite, hmm, PUNY. Full sized bags look goofy with the lines of the stock rear fender/plate hanger assembly. Some of the folks in the photo gallery hosted by Paladin use hard bags...not a bad look...Max's "micro-bagger" looks surprisingly good. (I'm a chopper fan, not big on baggers)

When I get the chance to add a full sized rear fender to mine, I'll probably go with a 50s Indian style saddlebag. Easier to pack than the slant bags. And will look better with the HD/Indian luggage rack going on the fender top.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #13 - 06/02/05 at 09:26:58

PBR... Fort Collins... Yeah, I'm a piss poor grad student, so I drink the cheap stuff.

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #14 - 06/02/05 at 09:43:40

Pabst is not the cheap stuff.  It sored a 1.77 on http://www.ratebeer.com -- nearly matching the 1.78 of Schlitz.  In Air Force in Izmir Rod and Gun club stocked Bud, Coors, and Schiltz.  The Bud ran out first, then the Coors.  Finally, with no other choice, people drank the Schiltz; giving the true origin of "when you're out of Schiltz, you're out of beer."

General Generic beer is rated at a 0.89 -- much cheaper than Papst Blue Ribbon.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/21/24 at 15:06:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › What's in your saddlebags?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.