Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
I'm 6'1", is this bike too small? (Read 13 times)
jp
Ex Member

I'm 6'1", is this bike too small?
05/31/05 at 06:58:57

I have the opportunity to purchase a 2004 Suzuki Savage with 5,500 miles for $2,700.

I currently ride a 1982 Yamaha XJ750 Maxim and am interested in this 2004 Savage. Since I'm 6'1" tall, and 200 lbs. some folks say this bike is too small for me (I've not ridden it yet).

Any 6' folks riding this bike?

I ride to work and back (40 miles round trip) on state highways. Top speed 75mph (usually 65 will do the trick).

I occasionally ride to the north Gerogia mountains on the weekend. Usually 3 to 5 hours. Again, back roads and state highways. Very rarely do I ride on Interstates, and then only to get to another state highway or backroad.

Does the bike have running lights or just turn signals and emergency flashers?

Also, what modifications are the most desired:
Supertrapp exhaust - does this give better top end?

Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

IP Logged
Glock_N_Roll
Ex Member

Re: I'm 6'1", is this bike too small?
Reply #1 - 05/31/05 at 08:44:19

I am 6'3" and find the bike a little too small.  It is my first bike and I bought it used.  I plan on upgrading in a year or so after i'm comfortable riding.

I know the headlight runs all the time but I don't know about running lights.

I think the most popular mods are the idle mixture/white spacer that will fix the backfire.  

So far I have done those, added drag bars and 4" risers.  I'm going to remove the front fender and paint the tank and rear fender.

IP Logged
shawn_b
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 05/31/05 at 09:01:59

i am 6'1 this bike ok a little cramped in the legs but i have a longer trunk then legs

shawn

IP Logged
gazab44
2004 No Login

TO OLD TO DIE
YOUNG....

uk
Reply #3 - 05/31/05 at 09:51:56

I'm 5'5 3/4" suberb bike for me.
My mate is 6'3" and says its a little cramped but with forward controls says it maybe ok

MSN Messenger :- gazab44@hotmail.com

VISIT MY MY HOMEPAGE
WWW msn-gazab44@hotmail.com   IP Logged
CDoles
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

Eastern Mass
Reply #4 - 05/31/05 at 12:01:35

I'm about 6 ft, 215lbs, and while I love everything else about the bike, I think it's a little on the small side for me.  I've done the seat mod, and repadded the seat, but it's still a bit cramped.

I think the forward controls might help, but I haven't tried them.

IP Logged
bentwheel
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ride free, citizen

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Reply #5 - 05/31/05 at 12:13:21

It's true the Savage is a bit small. I am 5' 11" and I only complain after long rides. At 6' 1" you surely will notice the Savage's smallness, but saying that, everyone has different tolerences and it may or may not be an issue with you.

Bentwheel FSO
2006 Suzuki 650 V-Strom
1977 Yamaha XS360
1972 Honda CL175
  IP Logged
red2k1
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 05/31/05 at 12:28:21

Well, JP as you know there is only one way to tell for sure and that is to ride the bike. And Yes, the Savage is completely road worthy.

I can tell you that at 5' 9" it is okay for me, but on the small side.  Went to highway bars with pegs and that helps a lot.  However, the seat is awful after about two hours or so. However, a gel pad does help and I have put in six hours almost constant, but I would not want to do more.

Don't get wrong, for the price I think the bike is great.

IP Logged
gandalph40
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 05/31/05 at 12:53:30

I am 6', 200#, and I think I'm probably right at the edge of the bike being small.  It has PLENTY of go, but the dimensions are just what they are.  

I just did the seat mod (haven't "load" tested it yet  Roll Eyes I have done 3 hours in the saddle, but monkey butt reigned supreme when I got home again.  Wow, I didn't know I had so many nerves back there...

Tom

IP Logged
jp
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 05/31/05 at 13:23:12

You folks are great!  Smiley

Quickest responses I've ever received on any forum!

I'm test riding tomorrow at lunch (hope the weather holds).

IP Logged
Nightrain
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 05/31/05 at 14:05:54

If you are 6'1" and you are asking my opinion, YES! the bike is to small for you. I'm 5'11". 175lbs. I have installed 6" of forward conrols. the bike is now just barely rideable. I wouldnt mind a few more inches of leg room and I would upgrade to something bigger but keep in mind that this is a $2000 bike. I like the fact that I do not have to make a payment. If it werent for the forward controls, I would've given up on it.  Just my opinion... Undecided

IP Logged
Savage Beast
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

Safety 1st..see
everything, & be
seen by everyone

Ontario, Canada
Reply #10 - 05/31/05 at 14:29:53

5'10" , 200 lbs here. I just love my Savage (1990 4 speed). Mind you, I use it mainly for going to work and the cottage (5 & 20 mins rides) but I think it would be a little cramped on long rides, or may have to take a few leg stretching breaks. I have gone 1 1/2  hours plus no problem.  I guess it all depends what you want to do with it. Mine is perfect for my use. The added ease of riding, parking, backing, shifting and turning...plus great milage, more than make up for the downsides..for me anyways!!

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #11 - 05/31/05 at 20:02:25

I'm 6'2" about 230 pounds.

Good commuter bike. Needs forward controls and a 10-12 inch frame stretch to be highway ready for me. Apehangers help, but...
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #12 - 05/31/05 at 22:00:02

5'7"...200 lbs...30" inseam...almost bald...and just all-around cool.

Ya'll have missed something that could be a factor for the LONG-LEGGED among us.  This will not only ad some leg space but also fix one of the weak points of the Savage, and that is to replace the stock shocks with a set of 13-14" Progressives.  I have a 14" set on mine and the difference is really significant.  I can still get feet down so no problem there.  A lot of wheel space.  MUCH BETTER RIDING AND CONTROL.
I will try to get a pic in the morning if it is not raining.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #13 - 05/31/05 at 23:48:40

Just out of curiosity, why are you even considering a smaller framed, lower displacement bike? The XJ/XS Yamahas, even the oldies like your's, are pretty popular at the shop I work at. I know they are heavy as hell, and hard to roll backwards, but...  ???  You are in Dixieland, right? Let's see, 2 more years and you can get antique bike plates...or did that program get canned? $25 for lifetime registration on a 25 or older bike... I miss the South.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
jp
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 06/01/05 at 07:34:29

Thanks for the reply.

Why do I want to buy a the Savage (a smaller bike than the Yamaha XJ750)? Hmmmm...

It looks good (yeah, I know, bad idea, but hey, I'm a guy)
It's cheap ($2,700)
It should be simple to maintane
It gets better gas mileage (50 vs 35)
Parts are nearly impossible to find, and fairly expensive
It's newer so maybe won't strand me in the mountains (which would really piss off my wife, as she wishes I didn't even ride a bike cause I'm showing poor judgement, and she'd have to drive the truck to some god forsaken place three hours away to pick me up  Embarrassed)
It's 100 lbs lighter (although this is not always an issue)
It might still fit as the distance from tailbone to pegs on the XJ750 Maxim is only 24", distance from tailbone to grips is 26", and tailbone to ground is 29" (hopefully never 0", but I know it will be  Sad)
It's big enough for my type of riding (40 mile round trip commute, occasional 1, 2, 3, and 4 hour rides, usual top speed 80, usual cruising speed 65).

Regarding the XJ 750 Maxim:
It has only 14,000 mis (5,500 of which I put on it).
Is shaft drive.
4 cylinder.
has 70 hp (did they measure hp differently in 1982)
I love the bike and love to ride, but is a 23 year old bike dependable?  ???

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/21/24 at 09:50:23

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › I'm 6'1", is this bike too small?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.