Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Starting a Savage fleet I guess (Read 2 times)
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Re: Starting a Savage fleet I guess
Reply #15 - 05/19/05 at 04:32:16

"lucky" there I guess - I ride a round trip 60-80 mile comute 3 or 4 days a week - plenty of solo time for sure - then the ocean side fishing shack is right on 100 miles each way from the house that we try to get down to most weekends - works out to every other - so I'm looking for the savage fleet for transport there but we're going slow for now - 200 mile weekend ride doesn't seem like much but if your new it's enough to get a case of monkey but-t for sure.

Did the seat lift mod lastnite, up the main jet to a 150 and pulled the mixture plug - after market pipe and wind screen real soon - the fun has begun!

IP Logged
dssaak
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 05/19/05 at 05:41:30

Reelthing,

Let me know when you want to get rid of that stock muffler!

dk

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #17 - 05/19/05 at 09:40:02

PerrydaSavage wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
....My missus HATES motorcycles ... wouldn't prod her near one with a 10ft. barge pole! Thankfully though, she doesn't nag me about owning one, or taking off for a Ride ... and my pals who having Riding spouses envy the fact that I can "go it alone", whereas every time they put on gear and try to sneak out for a "solo" bit, they get, "where ya goin' hon? wait for me!" Wink

I would like to be able to ride to Solvang for an overnighter with the wife -- but I can't justify riding when there's an empty seat in her Volkswagen.   She's not gotten on the pillion, but she doesn't want me to remove it.  She says she wants to learn to ride but she wants to practice a bit before the MSF course; except the Savage is too small.  Doesn't want to look at bikes until she has a license.

WWW   IP Logged
Red_Wine

Chain-drive, 400cc
Black Savage in
Chile

Santiago, Chile
Reply #18 - 05/19/05 at 10:16:03

Joel wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
Judging by your post, your english sounds just fine Smiley

Thanks for that, I have been a professional English-Spanish translator for 15+ years, so that would explain your compliment.  8)

The thing is, my SO can only say "hello" and "bye" in decent English, that's why I'd translate the docs for her (and take free lesson meanwhile,  Wink  )

But, are the MSF documents available somewhere?
Can any of you, pals, find out for me?  Roll Eyes

I'll check with the Florida and California DOTs..   8)

Thanks,

RW

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #19 - 05/20/05 at 14:48:00

Red_Wine wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
But, are the MSF documents available somewhere?
Can any of you, pals, find out for me?  Roll Eyes

I'll check with the Florida and California DOTs..   8)

Thanks,

RW

The MSF is a private organization, santioned by certain states to provide motorcycle training.  They are not a real government organization...and not available in all states either.  The comparable group here in Oregon, is called Team Oregon, but I'm sure their program is similar.

Since we just moved, I think that I know where our MSF course material is for the classes that we took, but I'm not sure.  I may be able to get you some of that documentation if you really want it...if I can find it
Shocked

IP Logged
MotorcycleMomma
Ex Member

Reply #20 - 05/21/05 at 22:15:00

I am a woman and my man is scared of bikes. He bought me one just this past Mother's Day because I've always wanted one, but have been too afraid I wouldn't be able to ride it. I guess he knows me better than I thought. I am only 5 ft. and weigh about 105lbs. It's a 2001 Suzuki Savage LS650. It only had 750 miles on it and is in picture perfect condition. It's the perfect height and weight for my small stature.  I'd put a picture up, but don't know how to yet.

Well, seeing as how I drive 50 miles each way to work and haul two kids, I have to drive my car to work. And, my car broke down the day after Mother's Day. So, being that he only works 5 miles away and he works nights, I have been using his Jimmy to do my daily taks and he's been taking my bike to work. He's gotten a lot more comfortable with it and doesn't even shake when he gets off of it anymore.  Smiley

Now, he wants a bike and we have been looking. Older models with bigger engines that he can restore. He's always needed a tinker project.

Anyway, my reason for posting was how funny I thought it was to read your post's talking about your SO's and describing mine. Luckily it didn't take him anytime to warm up to it and he's already talking about weekend trips to the cabins in NC.  Grin

Congrats on the new bike for the missus. I'd have taken the newer model too.  Tongue

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #21 - 05/21/05 at 23:05:40

Tell your hubby to hunt for an XS series Yamaha. They made them in 400, 650, 750, 850 veritcal twins, and at least 1100cc inline 4 cylinder styles. Think vintage British twins like the real Triumph Bonneville (not the modern pseudo-bike). They were known by the trade name " Special". The 650 twin will walk all over a Savage, and could be had with spoke or cast wheels, mechanical drum or hydraulic disc rear brakes.We've got a 650 Midnight Special Heritage at work right now for under a grand. Not bad for one of the best vertical twins ever made.

Like the Savage, the XS series are good starter/re-entry/skilled rider machines. ANYONE can ride one. IF they buy a 750 or smaller, the big ones are best left to hot-rodders or chopper folks, they are flat out MEAN.

If he is just starting out, DO NOT let him buy an older HD, BMW, or 4 cylinder motorcycle. Good bikes for someone who likes turning wrenches more than throttles.
-WD

If he likes the Savage, he could always pick one up cheap. Brand new they are only going for around $4200. But if he likes to tinker, as in tear things to pieces and take forever to put them back together (hmm, I resemble that remark) get him something else. If he wants to ride, and do cosmetic type tinkering, a Savage, Ascot, older Nighthawk, Yammerhammer Special, or related would be ideal.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Bluejeanz
Ex Member

Reply #22 - 05/22/05 at 19:34:20

MotorcycleMomma wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
I am a woman and my man is scared of bikes.

Wow, that's so funny!  Me too!  I got my Savage for my birthday last year but my hubby won't ride.  At all.

Lately though, he's been talking about wanting to learn (mostly because I disappear for hours on end every time the sun comes out).  

My job, which is now 4 miles from home, is moving at the end of June to a new building about 70 miles away.  Because of that, I've been eyeing an Intruder 800 for sale down the road.  

I feel like I want a little more weight to a bike if I'm going to take it on the interstate and the Intruder fits me real good.

It's a 93 model, but seems to be in very good condition and it only has 5800 miles on it.  If I can get that, then I can convince the hubby to ride the Savage and we could ride together.  

He took the MSF with me last year, but it somehow didn't spark his desire to ride.  Hopefully, riding with me will.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #23 - 05/22/05 at 21:48:19

My wife says to go for it. She loves her Intruder (I loathe her Intruder). She also says to keep in mind that a stock Intruder 800 weighs close to 500 pounds, and is considerably more top heavy than a Savage. Does handle better though. She put about 5000 miles or so on hers. We bought it in 99, tabs expired in 2001, hasn't been ridden much since.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/05/24 at 11:51:10

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Starting a Savage fleet I guess

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!