Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Rear shock adjustment (Read 81 times)
surplusguy
Ex Member

Re: Rear shock adjustment
Reply #15 - 05/29/05 at 17:26:42

Finally had a chance to test the rear suspension with the shocks/springs set in position"1". For me at 180 pounds, the rough railroad track was not a problem and seems somewhat more comfortable than the original setting of "3". It did not bottom out and the longer spring travel should equal less felt shock. Problem I encountered while adjusting them on the bike was that I couldn't see what position they were in even with a light and looking up from underneath. Soooo, I removed them(one at a time per Clyer manual recommendation).  What they don't tell you is that when you remove a shock, the rear suspension will compress and you better have a strong back or a buddy to lift the rear of the bike when re-installing them. BUT, it is much easier to see what position they are in that way.  The first time I did it, they were in different positions. So, for me, position "1" works better.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #16 - 05/29/05 at 22:02:54

Air shocks were a waste of time...one set had too small of mounting eyes, the other set blew up.  Angry Good thing they were free...

I used the Mikuni SU clone for a paper weight, the throttle shaft holes turned out to be oblong. I could fix it, but why bother... ??? Bobo was nice enough to send me some worked/upsized jets for my BS40. Next day off, the 188 main goes in...and the pilot gets drilled. I'm too broke to pay attention... Wink...let alone buy bike parts.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #17 - 05/30/05 at 05:53:22

WD wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
Air shocks were a waste of time...one set had too small of mounting eyes, the other set blew up.  Angry Good thing they were free...

I used the Mikuni SU clone for a paper weight, the throttle shaft holes turned out to be oblong. I could fix it, but why bother... ??? Bobo was nice enough to send me some worked/upsized jets for my BS40. Next day off, the 188 main goes in...and the pilot gets drilled. I'm too broke to pay attention... Wink...let alone buy bike parts.
-WD

188 Main?  Huh?

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #18 - 05/30/05 at 07:09:42

Greg, it's a drilled stocker. Specs out at roughly 188. He also sent me a 210!!! You might want to bring earplugs on the Ash Run..."microbike" should be throwing sparks and shooting flames the whole way...

Now if I could just get my hands on a good set of shocks. Pretty sure I saw a set of 11 inch Progressives floating around the shop. Sure wish I could find a Triumph spec plunger frame...
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #19 - 05/30/05 at 07:14:45

But why do you want those?  I probably have a spare 155 in my garage that I could send...at least you won't be pumping out raw gas all over the mountain....

Back out to the garage.  My baby is just about ready for some new photos   Grin

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #20 - 05/30/05 at 07:42:38

One of the computers at work has a jetting spec program. I plugged in my mods, it spit out a 180 minimum jet size. Open pipe, just enough baffling for minor back pressure. And once the performance air filter goes in...

My poor bike may end up dying a spectactular death eventually, but it won't be because I ran it too lean and holed the piston. If the oversizes are TOO oversized, I'll try some smaller jets. No biggie. I like to experiment. That's why I chopped it in the first place, to see if I could still build one out of whatever bike I had handy (that and my wife won't let me so much as TOUCH her Intruder...).

Good mileage, excellent response to rider input, decent sound, clean lines...I'd like to find the designers of the seat and shocks that ruin an otherwise decent motorcycle and feed them their creations... Angry
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #21 - 05/30/05 at 09:06:31

Okay, to each his own.  I don't see where you think you've modified your bike to where it needs a 14% bigger jet size, but go for it.  

Maybe, I missed the post where you explained all that....but I did read the one where you have calculated a 28% better gas mileage and somehow these figures just have me all confused.

IP Logged
LS650RJM
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

Reply #22 - 10/07/05 at 19:37:26

Great set of posts! Big help. I changed my 2002 Savage from setting #2 to setting #4. Can't wait to try it out.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/02/24 at 06:02:48

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Rear shock adjustment

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.