Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Shifting Chatter 1st to 2nd (Read 4 times)
Clark Zellmer

Shifting Chatter 1st to 2nd
05/09/05 at 10:25:29

I have had a Savage for three months now.  It is my first bike.  While I love the bike, the one thing that bother's me lately is the shifting from first to second and back.  When I go from 1st to 2nd, it does not always go into 2nd on the first try.  About 20% of the time I end up in neutral.  It takes a really firm lift on the foot to get it to go into 2nd and often there is a chattering or ratcheting sound.  Down shifting often gives the same affect of chattering and I cannot get it into 1st at all until I stop.  Once stopped, I can usually get it into 1st, but not always without a real hard stomp down and rocking the bike fore and aft.  Sometimes even then I am still in second when I start out again.

I began to think it was just my inexperience and lousy shifting ability until last Friday.  I had the privilege to ride a Victory Vegas for 50 miles.  There were multiple stops and starts due to the roads taken and it shift like magic.  No false starts and no issue getting it into first, second, etc.  Downshifting was easy and quite

Clark

IP Logged
RadarORiley
Serious Thumper

No one notices how
you ride until you
fall off.

West Of Weatherford, Texas
Re: Shifting Chatter 1st to 2nd
Reply #1 - 05/09/05 at 10:29:30

I had this problem the first few times I rode my Savage and daughter says the same, changed to soft top boots for a few rides so I could "feel" the shifting and no longer have the trouble finding the gears. You have to think with your foot sort of. Don't know about the clatter though, neither one of ours do that.

Radar O'Riley
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #2 - 05/09/05 at 10:51:43

Clark Zellmer wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
Once stopped, I can usually get it into 1st, but not always without a real hard stomp down and rocking the bike fore and aft.  Sometimes even then I am still in second when I start out again.

When you're stopped, if it won't easily downshift, let off the clutch a bit to allow it to partly engage/move and the pull the clutch back in and try downshifting again.  Never stomp on it in this situation because you will bend your linkage and make downshifting more and more difficult until it becomes nearly impossible.  I know because I did it.  I have since replaced mine and carry a spare just in case.  You may want to take a peek at yours to see if it has been bent yet.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Mr 650
Serious Thumper

The LS650- Classic
style & 4-valve
engine

Mempho
Reply #3 - 05/09/05 at 11:00:34

Amen, Stomping = bending. :'(
01 650's shift linkage is Jap mystery/pot metal.
Down shift while in motion.
Been there done that.  Roll Eyes
Got a spare now.  8)
PS: the early 86-87 linkage is bigger.

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
When you're stopped, if it won't easily downshift, let off the clutch a bit to allow it to partly engage/move and the pull the clutch back in and try downshifting again.  Never stomp on it in this situation because you will bend your linkage and make downshifting more and more difficult until it becomes nearly impossible.  I know because I did it.  I have since replaced mine and carry a spare just in case.  You may want to take a peek at yours to see if it has been bent yet.

SilverBlue '01,K&N,Snorklectomy,125mm NOS carb, 1/2 spacer & 155, 'Trapp, NC flyscreen, Suzy GelSeat, Osram H4
later..putt. Putt, PUtt, PUTT! 8)
HelmetLawsSuck
  IP Logged
Clark Zellmer

Reply #4 - 05/09/05 at 15:43:08

Thanks for the input.

The problem with down shifting in motion is that many times the ratcheting/chatter going from second to first is so bad that I don't want to force it.  That is why I am waiting until stopped to shift to first.  It almost sounds like I am griding the gears on down shift from 2 to 1.  The other gears do not do this.

Clark

IP Logged
Mr 650
Serious Thumper

The LS650- Classic
style & 4-valve
engine

Mempho
Reply #5 - 05/09/05 at 16:28:00

Hmmm the noise does not sound good.
Is this a new bike?

My bike's tranny was sorta stiff at 1st.
Your original post described similar condition on my bike. For the 1st 2k miles the 4-5 upshift was higher effort, but now w/ 5K+ (and switch to Mobil1 oil?) this problem is reduced such that I don't notice and perhaps the tranny has loosened up. It never crunched or chattered though, just required higher effort to fully click it.
Perhaps you are not getting good disengagement.
Hopefully you only need to adjust the clutch lever, if not the noise may require service.

SilverBlue '01,K&N,Snorklectomy,125mm NOS carb, 1/2 spacer & 155, 'Trapp, NC flyscreen, Suzy GelSeat, Osram H4
HelmetLawsSuck
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #6 - 05/09/05 at 16:39:43

What weight motor oil are you running, a thicker oil will help with the gears when downshifting. Check the clutch cable, they streach and will cause shifting problems. Baby the shifter, don't stomp on it. It is easier to drop the bike into 1st when rolling instead of when stopped. Ed L.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Clark Zellmer

Reply #7 - 05/09/05 at 19:39:14

The bike is a 2001 with 2,600 miles.  I bought it from a dealer that did an engine oil change so I do not know the weight of oil they used there.  I assume the tranmission oil is separate and not changed.  Is this true?  What you everyone suggest for oil type and weight for the tranny.

Thanks

Clark

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #8 - 05/09/05 at 19:45:35

The oil is shared between the engine, clutch, and gear box - you might want to give 20w-50 a go - you know thinking about - mine will clatter some time if i don't firmly shift it - not talking about stomping it just a solid, firm push and it doesn't

IP Logged
William E. Curry

Reply #9 - 05/09/05 at 21:23:26

try preloading shift lever with a little pressure befor declutching.only way to shift old beemers,works quite well on wings,too. force of habit, I shift the Savage that way too, Savage shifts slick like that. does not have the clunk the wings have. especially 1-2 up shifts.

IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #10 - 05/09/05 at 22:23:41

Sounds to me like a clutch problem.The bike has low miles, otherwise I was going to suggest grooved clutch basket.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #11 - 05/09/05 at 22:43:04

Too thin of oil. Never let a dealership "mechanic" service the machine again. They tend to be overfilled with the cheapest 10W40 the dealer has on hand. Trust me on that one, I work in an independent bike salvage/sales, parts store.

The "mystery metal" was used in 98 as well, my shift linkage snapped in the middle of a 2-3 upshift.  Angry

Adjust your clutch cable, you are running with too much slack. I always adjust mine  1/32 of an inch TIGHTER than the book says to. Have only had to adjust the cable three times in 8 years, and those were in the first year only.  The aftermarket/factory service manuals DON'T give ANY specs properly. They're close, but still not close enough.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Mr 650
Serious Thumper

The LS650- Classic
style & 4-valve
engine

Mempho
Reply #12 - 05/10/05 at 14:51:36

I hammered my link straight and my bud TIG welded around it, then ground it back round.
It is still on there and  now I got a spare.
WD wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
The "mystery metal" was used in 98 as well, my shift linkage snapped in the middle of a 2-3 upshift.  Angry

-WD

HelmetLawsSuck
  IP Logged
red2k1
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 05/10/05 at 17:33:35

Agree completely with WD -- I have had the same experience.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #14 - 05/11/05 at 05:46:42

Mr 650 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
I hammered my link straight and my bud TIG welded around it, then ground it back round.
It is still on there and  now I got a spare.

While waiting for my replacement, I hammered mine back straight and slipped a small piece of steel tubing over it to strengthen it.  If I'd had a torch, I would've brazed it in place.  Since I didn't, I used plumbing epoxy putty and it is one strong bastard.  I keep it the new one on the bike and the "rebuilt" one as an emergency spare.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/04/24 at 15:35:03

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Shifting Chatter 1st to 2nd

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.