Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Best performance muffler (Read 7 times)
russ_g
Ex Member

Best performance muffler
05/12/05 at 14:12:24

Ok i'm not big on sound (although i don't want something that will tick the neighbors so i'd like to avoid too loud) - but a little more power interests me.  In conjunction with a "stock" k&n (meaning a straight swap for the factory filter), what would be my best bet.  An of course jetting to go along with that

IP Logged
bobo383
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Neck=Red

Arlington, TX
Re: Best performance muffler
Reply #1 - 05/12/05 at 15:16:08

Stock Harley Davidson Sportster muffler works great , sounds more rumbly (lower tone), and ain't too loud.  Chrome is outstanding.  I accessed the factory-sealed mixture screw, halved the white needle spacer thickness, and jetted up to 155 main about the same time, but it's still just a hair lean at wide open throttle.  You can see what it looks like in my Tech Section post:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1114360126

I got a good power boost from this combination.  

I'd like to try a 160 jet, open up the air intake, and I have an aftermarket carb as well (Thanks, Lancer) so who knows where I will wind up with this thing.  

Arlington Texas
Used to have 98 & 88 Savages
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #2 - 05/12/05 at 15:40:09

The wonder of it all is that there is no end to it.  Just let you mind conceive and let your heart guide you and enjoy the ride on this creative road.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #3 - 05/12/05 at 15:45:57

Bobo,

By the way, I did not get the carb tuning pages to you when I intended, I am visiting my new grandson for a few days, and will do so when I get home unless I can access my files from here.

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #4 - 05/12/05 at 16:14:21

That is pretty much the same setup I'm using on my '02 except for the main jet which is a 152.5. To help with the air flow to the carb I went wild with a 1/4" drill on the air box door, must of drilled 60 holes in it till I ran out of beer, oops I mean room. So far I'm very happy with the results of both the beer and the modifications Grin.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Nightrain
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 05/12/05 at 16:18:11

I'm also running at 152.5 main. Did the airbox mod give you more top end, low end, neither or both?

Gracias!  8)

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #6 - 05/12/05 at 16:36:55

Drilling out the airbox door seemed to help with the top end a little, maybe and extra 50-100 rpms. I tried it without the door for a month but got a bit nervous that mice would move into the airbox when I was not looking. The only difference between the drilled door and no door was more intake noise without the door, the change in performance felt the same.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
bobo383
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Neck=Red

Arlington, TX
Reply #7 - 05/12/05 at 16:49:22

I yanked the door, and got leaner at the top end so it must have done something to increase the airflow.  Tight now if I run wide open for a few miles, the pipe will put out pretty consistent flames when I stop - like at a red light on the access road after going wide open on the highway.

I thought I was too rich at WOT, but removing the airbox lid made it worse so I think I'm still too lean.

Just for grins I removed the stock air filter as well - It got really bad then - backfiring and alot of slow-burning fire from the pipe.  Looked like the old cars with the flaming tailpipe mod.

Of course it's at night when I'm doing this - no fun in the daytime.  The children in the SUVs that pull up by me really dig it.  A few hot moms, too.

May have to put on a small acetylene bottle with a nitrous switch and spark plug so I can do it on demand.  The rear brake lever might complain.  BUT IT LOOKS SO COOL.

Arlington Texas
Used to have 98 & 88 Savages
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #8 - 05/12/05 at 17:03:14

I'm thinking about moving up to a 155 or 157.5 main, still seem to be a little lean at WOT. Don't want to fix it broke so I'm leaving it alone right now.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/04/24 at 13:22:57

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Best performance muffler

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.