Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Starting issues, and yes..it sat for a long time. (Read 4 times)
Rogers35
Ex Member

Starting issues, and yes..it sat for a long time.
05/10/05 at 23:25:39

Short run down is as follows.

`86, sat for about 8 years in a clean garage. Drained the tank, cleaned the carb. All the hoses are good to go. Has spark at the plug, right size and type of plug. Getting fuel to the motor, has compression. Starter is cranking the engine..but its not catching.

Ive done this many times..bringing a dead bike back and to be honest Iam kind of stumped. Any ideas..thoughts on choke? Is there a compression valve or something.starting sequence?

Mike

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Re: Starting issues, and yes..it sat for a long ti
Reply #1 - 05/10/05 at 23:55:16

We get this one alot at work...
1. Pull the tank, adjust the compression cable, pull the sparkplug and squirt in roughly 1/2 to 1 cc of raw gas.
2. Put bike back together.
3. Set the fuel ta on prime, wait 2 minutes, and twist the throttle, TWICE.
4. Cross your eyes, stick out your tongue, pray, and hit the starter.  Wink

If it catches, set the fuel tap on run, adjust choke, adjust idle, go for a ride. Works about 80% of the time on older Japanese cruisers, dual sports, and dirt bikes.

If it doesn't catch, pull the carb, dismantle and clean ALL the orifices and passages with GOOD aerosol carb or contact cleaner. PJ1 or Berryman Chemtool are the best ones going right now. Odds are you still have a small piece of debris in the pilot jet circuit. Common to any older bike.
-WD

Odds are it is a problem with the decompression cable, lube, adjust, or replace if needed. If you don't have a maintenance book, get one. The specs are close enough to get you going again, then you can fine tune as needed by YOUR bike.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Rogers35
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 05/11/05 at 00:16:51

Ok, the compression cable on the upper left side of the motor on the head that goes below the center frame to that guato round thing on the right side? I could tell having never seen it that its some kind of auto purge valve thing.

1. whats it for, whats it do?
2. Whats correct adjust ment..I mean whats the quick down and dirty on how to adjust it? theres tension on it.

Just drives me nuts that it wants to start and its not. I tried the raw gas trick already.  

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #3 - 05/11/05 at 01:55:23

The cable holds the exhaust valves slightly open so the piston can move up with less resistance. Too little cable tension= too high compression to start. Too much cable tenson= no compression, raw gas blows out the valves on the compression stroke.

As for adjusting it, I'll try and dig out my service manual. Haven't seen it since December...haven't had to use it since sometime in 2000. It's floating around here somewhere... ???
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Rogers35
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 05/12/05 at 00:10:53

ok, backed the tension off a bit on the decompression cable. Pulled the carb and its clean. Was thinking maybe the jet is the wrong size? There was fuel in the float bowl.

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #5 - 05/12/05 at 03:00:03

Rogers35 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
ok, backed the tension off a bit on the decompression cable. Pulled the carb and its clean. Was thinking maybe the jet is the wrong size? There was fuel in the float bowl.

There should be 3 to 5 mm play on the decompression cable. This with the piston in top dead center on the compression stroke.

Greets
Kropatchek Grin

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
bentwheel
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ride free, citizen

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Reply #6 - 05/12/05 at 14:28:40

Kropatchek wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
There should be 3 to 5 mm play on the decompression cable. This with the piston in top dead center on the compression stroke.

Greets
Kropatchek Grin

Plus, keep in mind the play is checked at the solenoid and not the cable. The cable should be taut.

Bentwheel FSO
2006 Suzuki 650 V-Strom
1977 Yamaha XS360
1972 Honda CL175
  IP Logged
bentwheel
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ride free, citizen

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Reply #7 - 05/12/05 at 15:38:30

Rogers35,
I doubt your de-compression cable is causing your no start problem. If you have fuel at the plug; compression and spark, then it will fire up. Try push starting it. Use full choke. BTW if you added slack to the cable without setting your engine to TDCC you will have messed up the de-compression set up. Several months ago I wrote a detailed easy to follow guide to this adjustment.  Click the link below. It is one of the most misunderstood procedures for the Savage.

http://</a>suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=RubberSideDown;action=display;num=...[/url]

Bentwheel FSO
2006 Suzuki 650 V-Strom
1977 Yamaha XS360
1972 Honda CL175
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/04/24 at 14:17:45

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Starting issues, and yes..it sat for a long time.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.