Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Safety Advice: Your Input Is Wanted (Read 16 times)
rkutzner
Ex Member

Re: Safety Advice: Your Input Is Wanted
Reply #15 - 05/07/05 at 04:58:20

Brake flashers and/or a turn signal conversion kit.  At night, the conversion kit really help you be seen and gives the driver behind you 3 lights instead of one....helps with depth perception of the driver behind you, you won't be mistaken for the taillight of the car in front of you !

I don't use a brake flasher, just kind of 'flash' them myself when stopping with a driver behind me

http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/detail.cfm?model_ID=0&Category_ID=5&manufac...

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #16 - 05/07/05 at 13:42:04

Kropatchek wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
Read to all the above post but nobody mentioned the pulsating headlicht.

http://www.comagination.com/images/Valk00_ani.gif
http://www.comagination.com/modulator.htm
I'm riding around with is, although i'm illegal here . Makes me seen better in daylight.

Greetz
Kropatchek Grin

I did.  First post.  It's a headlight modulator.  I haven't installed mine yet though.  I need to figure out where I'll put everything for it.  It has the controller and a sensor to ensure the flashing doesn't happen in the dark.  However, I have installed the taillight modulator - which is more of a brake light modulator.  When you apply the brakes, it flashes three times and then goes steady for a while, then repeats the pattern for as long as you keep the brakes on.  The flashing seems to get cagers' attention more than simply a brighter light.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Gitarzan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

!

Columbus, Oh, Earth, Solar Sys
Reply #17 - 05/07/05 at 18:10:31

Quote:
When you apply the brakes, it flashes three times and then stays goes steady for a while, then repeats the pattern for as long as you keep the brakes on.  The flashing seems to get cagers' attention more than simply a brighter light.

Got one too.  Best mod I ever made, IMO.

http://www.cyclegadgets.com/Products/product.asp?Item=TB

2001 Cherry Red and Ivory Yamaha VStar 1100

IP Logged
Gitarzan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

!

Columbus, Oh, Earth, Solar Sys
Reply #18 - 05/22/05 at 16:50:18

2001 Cherry Red and Ivory Yamaha VStar 1100

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #19 - 05/22/05 at 23:30:28

Can someone translate that into "redneck/scooter-trash" please?  Grin Just kidding. Thanks for the link Git.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #20 - 05/23/05 at 12:21:28

I just installed a licence plate frame that has a row of LED's that are wired to both the plate light and brake light. They stay on all the time at a low level and get a lot brighter when the brakes are applied. Makes the bike more visable from the back. Ed L.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #21 - 05/24/05 at 13:39:12

Lost the paperwork from when I bought it from the local mom and pop cycle store near by. Not sure who made it, sorry. Ed L.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
mykeed

Reply #22 - 05/24/05 at 20:07:51

Scan the road 15-20 seconds ahead of you.
At the intersections of side roads try to look up the road before you get there.
Practice for and take the road test on the bike you plan to ride, preferably a Savage!
There are few things more dangerous than a joker who practiced riding and took the test on a Vespa then goes and buys an 1100cc monster.
Dont be afraid but be paranoid, that might not make sence but think about it.

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #23 - 05/25/05 at 00:21:40

Well, this is a "no-brainer", but as far as safety goes ... Don't Drink and Ride ...
A young motorcyclist was killed near here on Monday when his Bike hit a guardrail ... police are saying alcohol may have been a factor ...
Stay Safe out there folks ...

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Safety Advice: Your Front Brake is your Friend
Reply #24 - 05/25/05 at 05:46:35

Walking upright on two legs is darn near impossible.  It is inherently unstable and the natural tendency is for you to fall over.  Yet you do not.  As a toddler you had to consciously balance but soon that set of skills became subconscious and automatic.

This is training the body.  When you train the body it will react as trained with no conscious thought needed.

Do not be afraid of your front brake -- it provides something like 70-85% of your stopping power.  Practice on a side street or a parking lot.  Get up to speed and stop firmly with the front brake only.   Repeat on wet pavement.  Allow your body to learn that it can rely on the front brake and in a panic you will automatically use the front brake for a quick stop.

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #25 - 05/25/05 at 06:06:59

Now that you mention that Paladin, I'll heartily agree.  The only times I've lain a bike down have been from excessive application of back brake in a moment of gut reaction.  I've since trained most of that gut out of my reaction but I take the occasional opportunity to practice it again whenever I can.  If nothing else, I have learned to ride out a skid from a locked rear wheel far better than I used to.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
freerider23
Ex Member

Reply #26 - 05/25/05 at 06:20:59

when someone told me that the first time, i thought they were nutz--grabbed the front brake on my dirt bike once and met the mud hard.  but after the first 4 deer came out to play in the middle of the road and i went sideways past em, i figured the front brake was a little safer!!  it has saved my hyde 3 times now---stupid cagers!!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/05/24 at 06:47:45

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Safety Advice: Your Input Is Wanted

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.