Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Safety Advice: Your Input Is Wanted (Read 16 times)
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Safety Advice: Your Input Is Wanted
05/06/05 at 05:56:41

Carried over from another thread, I thought it might be a good idea to get some input from others on the topic of safety.  This should include everything from techniques and practices to wearable gear to bike mods, etc.  It can be generic to motorcycling or Savage-specific.

Below is an excerpt from the other post:

Quote:
I think the MSF is a great idea.

I think wearing safety gear is essential.  Along with that, I think there are some good ideas out there for making yourself more noticeable to cagers - like taillight modulators, headlight modulators (or simply using your high-beam in daylight), etc.  I am beginning to agree with the "loud pipes save lives" folks myself too.  In general, anything that increases your awareness and most especially anything that increases others' awareness of your presence.

I think practicing regularly and as often as possible is crucial to developing and maintaining good habits and skills.  This includes everything from your visual scanning techniques to dodging obstacles, quick stops, etc.

I think understanding your limits and proficiencies is very helpful too.  To me, this includes such things as experience level (in various types of weather, traffic, and road surfaces), bike's weight/power vs wind, level of rest/exhaustion, etc.

Everyone's experience and advice is valuable to the rest of us.  After several weeks, I'll take the info from this thread and compile it into a topic for the Technical Corner.

Thanks for your help.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Re: Safety Advice: Your Input Is Wanted
Reply #1 - 05/06/05 at 06:05:01

Check your tire pressure regularly.

Be aware riding into any new situation that you've never encountered before. This obviously happens more often to newer riders, but it might be really exciting for someone who thinks they've seen it all. For people who haven't ridden a motorcycle over a stretch of road, it can be very different on a bike than in a large truck  Smiley

Make sure your gear is adjusted properly before you start moving.

Trying to avoid giving examples to go along with each, but it's really hard.

IP Logged
marke2571
2004 No Login

Free Spec Ops
Cody!!!!

Georgia
Reply #2 - 05/06/05 at 07:39:59

I agree with mornhm. Where I live, on just about every road with a good curve in it, there is a cross at the curve. Why? Becuase some of the roads here just have that "darn that road would be fun to ride with a bike" look to them. Know your road, know your bike. Don't take a curve too fast if you've never done it before. I can think of this one curve, rated at 30 mph for cars, this curve causes so many bike crashes. Be careful, be safe, wear some leather if you can and its my choice to always wear a helmet, no matter what.

--Mark

'02 Silver Savage
Macon, Ga.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #3 - 05/06/05 at 08:34:35

Don't wear tennis shoes or other low top shoes when riding.

Keep your tires FULL by the sidewall pressure rating, the bike will respond better to YOUR input, and follow road grooves and such much less.

Keep long hair tied back and wear a do-rag under your helmet (regardless of hair length). Hair blowing around your face is as distracting as a bee in your face shield.

If your windshield or faceplate gets scratched up, replace it. It's very hard to see through the light "halos" in a damaged faceplate. And, if the windshield is seen through instead of over, trim it down. You look over bike windshields, NOT through them.

Ride as often as you can. I've been down for three years, and it shows. I wobble as much now as when I was first learning how to ride. Unlike walking, riding a motorcycle takes constant/consistent practice to maintain your abilities. Get out and RIDE.

Last thing, make YOUR bike fit YOU! Unlike a car, you usually have to change various bike parts to get an optimal fit. Need a different handlebar bend? Buy it. Need a higher/lower, harder/softer, wider/narrower seat? Have one made if you can't find an off the shelf that works right. If you have small hands, heat your levers and bend them to a more comfortable reach. If you are tall and need forward controls, make or buy them. Need a backrest? They are out there for the Savage/S40. Any mod that makes the bike a better fit is money well spent. You will be comfortable and have better control of your machine.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #4 - 05/06/05 at 09:47:17

At traffic lights, with rare exception, leave the bike in gear (in case you need to move out of the way) one hand on the clutch, one on the brake (in case the clutch cable selects this moment to break), watch the car behind you like a hawk - when the turn lane goes green and the straight lane is still red look for the straight lane cars to jump about 10ft - treat every car behind you as a teenager talking on a cell phone about just breaking up with their first love and crying - treat every car coming towards you as a 95 year old about to be selected for the pearly gates.

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #5 - 05/06/05 at 10:30:57

8)Visible Gear ... I have a black leather jacket and black cruiser helmet as well as a yellow/black (mostly yellow) Joe Rocket textile jacket and white open-face helmet ... there is no doubt that I am more visible to cagers when I wear the Joe Rocket + white helmet ... I've noticed that cars stop further back at intersections (generally) and I tend to get cut off less than when wearing the black. Reflectorized gear is good for dusk to dark Riding as well.
We all know that the traditional black cycle gear is the coolest looking, but a more visible get up is arguably safer.
Ride Safe everyone!

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Gitarzan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

!

Columbus, Oh, Earth, Solar Sys
Reply #6 - 05/06/05 at 10:40:22

I check my lights, turn signals brake light, and trigger them by all sources before just about every ride.

2001 Cherry Red and Ivory Yamaha VStar 1100

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #7 - 05/06/05 at 11:47:02

i have ridden for the past 30 years in both big city traffic and rural areas, these are my observations.

the obvious, you are invisible.
the fact. either you've been down, or going down.
the truth, personal safety trumps traffic regulations, i don't mean to say the you should ride like the laws don't apply to you, although that is fun once in a while, but that if comes to the choice of blowing though a light or an unlawful turn  ect  or getting hit by cage, go with personal safety. if caught go pay the fine, a small price to pay for your safety.

i know this may sound like a defeatist attitude, but visualize yourself laying the machine down in traffic situations.  practice your rear wheel skids, the only thing to be frightened about a rear wheel skid is not knowing how to do one. you should know how they feel, and how to keep the machine either upright, or layed over.  if you know someone with a dirt bike, borrow it and lay it down a few times.

just ride  ride  ride thats the best way to stay fresh.

all this and quit counting the "near misses".
now sunny's was different that was an intentional act of aggression. not a near miss.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
bentwheel
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ride free, citizen

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Reply #8 - 05/06/05 at 14:53:19

If you get yourself in a panic when entering a curve, resist the temptation of averting your eyes off the road. If you fixate your stare at a tree or ditch you will ride where your eyes are looking. If you carry too much speed into a turn, look deep into the turn (look where you want to go) and lean like you have never leaned before. Chances are you will surprise yourself  and stay upright.

Bentwheel FSO
2006 Suzuki 650 V-Strom
1977 Yamaha XS360
1972 Honda CL175
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #9 - 05/06/05 at 16:15:19

Cheap safety gear is better than no safety gear. My leather is one of the bufflao cheepies from e-bay and has protected my skin twice with low speed dumps. I would of scrubbed my left arm down into the flesh without it on one spill I took. There is no gear that will protect you from a hit from a cage, all it is there for is protection from road rash except for you helmet.
 If the bike doesn't fit, change it. Adjusting the seat, replacing the handle bars, anything that makes the bike more comfortable for the rider is a safety issue. If you are worried about monkey butt you will not see the cage turning in front of you.
 Be aware of you surroundings, the road, weather, and traffic is your life when riding. You are invisable out there, always drive that way.
When you get a chance ride as if it was stolen Grin!! Ed L.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
babbalou
Serious Thumper

Lewisville, Texas
Reply #10 - 05/06/05 at 17:03:53

After getting hit at night by a cager who didn't see me, I upgraded my headlight to a Xenon bulb (brighter & same wattage) & put reflective tape decals on my helmet from Streetglo.com. I'm thinking of adding an L.E.D. tailight that takes rechargeable AA batteries. Walmart has them cheap in the bicycle section. I ride with a Joe Rocket Phoenix jacket, Cortech leather boots ($119.95 & comfortable) & leather gloves. Out on country roads I've practiced countersteering & panic stops. I plan on taking the MSF riding course this summer. It's worth an insurance discount some places. I ride as if I'm invisable, 'cause to cagers I am. I'm thinking of getting a louder horn soon too, pointed forward instead of to the left. Cheesy

Had an S40 Jul '04-Jan '07
WWW   IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #11 - 05/06/05 at 17:08:21

i put a cage horn on mine first thing, what a difference it makes.  Grin

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Diane
2004 No Login

No matter where you
go, there you are.

Houston, TX
Reply #12 - 05/06/05 at 19:04:05

The MSF teacher told us one of his tricks and I had the opportunity to test it out a few weeks ago and it worked.  If you think you are being "looked at" but not "seen" he recomended doing a little zig zag.  The side to side motion helps draw attention and so what if somebody thinks you are a crazy biker.  An SUV was about to exit a parking lot, I could tell that the driver was looking over/past me but not at me.  As I zigged I saw the driver's head drop and I knew I had her attention.

Gas $3.39 a gallon, map $5.95, getting lost on a scenic country road.......... priceless!
2003 Teal Green Savage
Houston, TX
WWW   IP Logged
Oklahoma_Mike
2005 No Login

With two on the
ground love can be
found

Tulsa Oklahoma Area
Reply #13 - 05/06/05 at 20:31:14

if you are approaching a intersection day or night and you get that Erie feeling that you are not seen in addition to the zigzag move flash your high and low beam a few times it draws attention because it mimics a cops headlights and we all know everyone rubbernecks flashing lights 8)

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #14 - 05/07/05 at 03:37:16

Read to all the above post but nobody mentioned the pulsating headlicht.

http://www.comagination.com/modulator.htm
I'm riding around with is, although i'm illegal here . Makes me seen better in daylight.

Greetz
Kropatchek Grin

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/05/24 at 09:51:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Safety Advice: Your Input Is Wanted

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.