Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Progressive Rear Shocks ? (Read 29 times)
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Progressive Rear Shocks ?
04/17/05 at 22:06:14

In reading though older posts I do not see where this was solved - the savage/ls650 is still not listed on the progressive application list - I was thinking about Progressive 412 gas shocks or the Hagons - anyone replace the oem shocks?
thanks

IP Logged
Mr 650
Serious Thumper

The LS650- Classic
style & 4-valve
engine

Mempho
Re: Progressive Rear Shocks ?
Reply #1 - 04/17/05 at 22:35:14

I recall downloading a "PDF" chart that had a couple of shocks listed for the LS. It may have been a listing on a vendors site, not Progressive. They had like a base shock w/ black springs (220?) then maybe an aluminum one plus optional chrome spring covers. Like $250 to $400 list prices.

SilverBlue '01,K&N,Snorklectomy,125mm NOS carb, 1/2 spacer & 155, 'Trapp, NC flyscreen, Suzy GelSeat, Osram H4
later..putt. Putt, PUtt, PUTT! 8)
HelmetLawsSuck
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #2 - 04/17/05 at 23:15:25

Savage shock eyes are 11 inches center to center. VS800 Intruder shocks are 12 inches center to center. If you order 10 or 11 inch shocks that are sold as VS800 lowering shocks, you are good to go. And ALL the motorcycle shock companies list multiple VS800 offerings... unlike for the Savage.
-WD

It's just a thought.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Mr 650
Serious Thumper

The LS650- Classic
style & 4-valve
engine

Mempho
Reply #3 - 04/17/05 at 23:35:02

Cool, good info.
I am still looking for that chart.
Here's the Ikon listing;
http://www.ikonsuspension.com/content/bikes/suzuki.html

SilverBlue '01,K&N,Snorklectomy,125mm NOS carb, 1/2 spacer & 155, 'Trapp, NC flyscreen, Suzy GelSeat, Osram H4
later..putt. Putt, PUtt, PUTT! 8)
HelmetLawsSuck
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #4 - 04/18/05 at 02:19:17

Grin Sometimes it is handy to have an LS and VS sitting next to each other in front of the house.  Grin

WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #5 - 04/18/05 at 09:03:55

I was thinking a cross over shock had to work - it was possible but seemed unlikely the ls650/savage would use a wildly different design - My path takes me over some fairly rough roads each day - I'd like to give the gas shocks a go I think.
Thanks Folks

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #6 - 04/18/05 at 17:32:51

I have not seen the Savage specifically listed in the Progressive product list.  I did, however, find a set of Progressive shocks...the 440 model, on ebay and grabbed the things for $25 plus shipping.  They are brand new, never been on a bike, are 12 1/2" eye to eye and were built for a Harley so the bolt holes are 1/2"...the Savage has 14mm bolt/stud mounts.  I just reemed them out a little to make the fit, no problem at all.  It does sit a little higher but not a problem.   Since the shocks mount at about a 45 degree angle, for each inch of extra shock length the rear of the bike is only raised 1/2", so even though the shock is 2" longer than the stock Savage unit it only raises the bike 1".  The ride difference is SIGNIFICANT..........I am still working on the best setting for me...haven't had much riding time the past few weeks.  
The basic idea is to find something you like and MAKE IT WORK.

IP Logged
bentwheel
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ride free, citizen

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Reply #7 - 04/18/05 at 18:12:33

So I'm thinking, is this a cure for people who's rear tire rubs against the fender bolts? If you have a taller, or wider tire, or have saddlebag brackets, this longer shock change should give you more tire clearance. You could also dial in some much needed compression travel instead of having to run the standard units on maximum stiffness. Bonus

Bentwheel FSO
2006 Suzuki 650 V-Strom
1977 Yamaha XS360
1972 Honda CL175
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #8 - 04/20/05 at 14:44:49

LANCER wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
I have not seen the Savage specifically listed in the Progressive product list.  I did, however, find a set of Progressive shocks...the 440 model, on ebay and grabbed the things for $25 plus shipping.  They are brand new, never been on a bike, are 12 1/2" eye to eye and were built for a Harley so the bolt holes are 1/2"...the Savage has 14mm bolt/stud mounts.  I just reemed them out a little to make the fit, no problem at all.  It does sit a little higher but not a problem.   Since the shocks mount at about a 45 degree angle, for each inch of extra shock length the rear of the bike is only raised 1/2", so even though the shock is 2" longer than the stock Savage unit it only raises the bike 1".  The ride difference is SIGNIFICANT..........I am still working on the best setting for me...haven't had much riding time the past few weeks.  
The basic idea is to find something you like and MAKE IT WORK.

what spring rate did you end up with  ? - here's the pdf to match against the model - www.progressivesuspension.com/pdf/7100-105.pdf
I do not know what the stock savage spring rate is - but likely it is around 100lbs - I'm think about 11" 90/130lbs or 115/155lbs - the shock I'm look at has a 1.8" travel - is that about the stock shock travel?

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/27/24 at 15:54:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Progressive Rear Shocks ?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.