Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Oil to spike at $100US ... (Read 4 times)
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Oil to spike at $100US ...
04/01/05 at 08:53:03

Just heard a news broadcast that some think-tank predicts that crude oil will spike at around $100USD per barrel in the very near future ... jeesuz this is disturbing news ... gasoline is already too expensive ... ain't gonna be a fun Summer ...
Anyhoo, the skyrocketing cost of petroleum has deeper implications ... if the price gets high enough, the economies of the industrialized nations (USA, Canada, Japan, UK, etc.) could be driven into a deep recession, if not an outright depression as high energy prices kick inflation into high gear and unemployment rises ...
What I fail to understand, is why the governments of the G7 Countries failed to realize that economic growth could not be sustained indefinitely, seeing that said growth is fueled by a diminishing, non-renewable, increasingly expensive energy source, the bulk of which resides beneath the ground of potentially hostile areas of the world! Are we stunned or what? Shouldn't we have seen this coming?
What the G7 need to do NOW, is throw their combined intellectual and financial resources into a "Manhattan Project" scale initiave to come up with a viable and affordable alternative to oil as a fuel for industry and transportation ... before it's too late ...

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: Oil to spike at $100US ...
Reply #1 - 04/01/05 at 10:13:47

With that said, I wonder if a Savage could run on propane.

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #2 - 04/01/05 at 10:20:35

Greg, any gasoline engine can be converted to run on Propane ... but that ain't cheap either ...
I think that Brazil has had some success with ethanol fuels for normally gasoline powered vehicles though ...
I'm interested in what you all think might be the near-future outcome and/or potential ramifications of sustained high oil prices on the "North American" way of life ...

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #3 - 04/01/05 at 10:43:02

Well....I think that it sucks.  Especially when you consider that it is the greed and politics of a few that puts all of us in such a situation....and when you consider that it is a non-renewable resourse, that could be replaced by other sources of energy and despite repeated attempts to design vehicles that could operate with these alternate fuels, the best effort that the government will offer is to allow AFVs to operate in the HOV lanes Shocked

I mean, I know there is a problem, but have no solution for it.

IP Logged
dssaak
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 04/01/05 at 13:36:40

Never happen.  Oil producers know where their bread and butter is.  Even a small percentage decrease in usage would send oil prices crashing.  Raising the price that much would surely put a big dent in consumption.

It costs about $19 per barrel to extract oil from the most costly source, tar sands.  Oil companies are making money hand over fist and are just trying to find the 'I can't bear it no more' point.  When they hit it, the increases will stop.

Alternatives are out there but until the pain is too much to bear, you won't see them.

I have a friend that runs his VW diesel on vegetable oil.  He collects it for free, filters it and then burns it for fuel in his car.  I think the conversion kit was about $750.  I am sure he has saved more than that by now.

GE bought out a divison of Chevron that is working on fueling an electric generating station with 'liquid coal'.  GE is putting a lot of its own money into building a plant to prove out the technology.

I also read about a solar powered motor that drives an alternator to produce electricity.  The list is long ...

Then there is the new wave of nuclear technology which is projected to be as cost effective as coal fired generation.  Alternatives are out there; it all comes down to cost.

The price of oil is where it is because they can get it.  
Everyone ride more and bring down gas prices!

dk

IP Logged
Nightrain
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 04/01/05 at 13:51:29

There should be tax breaks for people who drive motorcycles.

IP Logged
PRH111
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 04/01/05 at 15:06:37

My car gets 34-39 mpg (city or highway)...so even when I'm not on the motorcycle the gas prices aren't too bad for me.

Ethanol is not a possible replacement.  The energy density of the crops is much less than the solar heat stirling engine dssaak alluded to.

IP Logged
Nightrain
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 04/01/05 at 15:12:51

I'm actually in the process of trying to convert my savage to run on b.u.l.l.s.h.i.t. It seems that I always have a neverending supply.  Wink

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #8 - 04/01/05 at 22:00:45

Nightrain wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
I'm actually in the process of trying to convert my savage to run on b.u.l.l.s.h.i.t. It seems that I always have a neverending supply.  Wink

Now, you actually have a good idea.  I wonder how long you could run on just the posts on this forum  ???

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #9 - 04/01/05 at 22:26:19

Good thing I still have a couple bikes sitting here at the house. Costco gas today hit 2.19USD for regular. Premium is $2.40 a gallon, and goes up everyday.

I have an older truck that is pulling down MAYBE 8.5 mpg. Finally got it running decent, and, know what? The oil/gas prices are sending it to the scrap metal yard. I refuse to pay that kind of money. Hate to scrap a collector aged vehicle, but...

I know a physicist/physical chemist who is trying to get an "infernal" combustion engine to run on water. He's been working on it close to 20 years. Basically, the carb becomes a micro reactor, breaking the bond and letting the hydrogen and oxygen burn as fuel.

I swear I'm going to start making moonshine... have run bikes and cars on it before. We've got synthetic motor oils, gear oils, and greases. On the market already at Wal-mart. Cost more, last longer. Can alternative fuels really be that far behind? Methane? We make enough garbage that it already runs small powerplants all over the world.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #10 - 04/02/05 at 11:42:03

And I heard that cattle produce a lot of methane too.

Roll Eyes

IP Logged
PRH111
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 04/02/05 at 16:13:05

If you make the moonshine strong enough you can run a vehicle on it.  Mix it 50/50 with gasoline and you probably wouldn't need to alter the fuel mixture too much.

In fact, since ethanol is less energetic than gasoline you can safely raise the compression ratio but the lower energy density of ethanol means your gas mileage will be lower (you can easily validate this by purchasing any of Fords flexible fuel vehicles and try running them on E85 (15% gasoline, 85% ethanol mix) and you will notice the gas mileage drop as compared to when you ran it on pure gasoline alone.  The lower probability of detonating on ethanol also makes it a good way to turbocharge a vehicle safely.  Whenever you hit boost you inject ethanol into the air stream and get cooling due to the low heat of vaporization of alcohol and then the higher octane of the fuel helps to prevent detonation or knock...but this would require a separate tank and something similar to a nitrous solenoid with a progressive flow control.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #12 - 04/02/05 at 16:18:02

I did not know that....interesting.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 22:57:32

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Oil to spike at $100US ...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.