Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Motorcycle lifts again.... (Read 6 times)
cphilip
Ex Member

Motorcycle lifts again....
03/28/05 at 11:38:08

I am seriously thinking about one of these beasts here

http://www.lift-buddy.com/model_AH800.htm

I have one of the Sears ones I use that I have to adapt to each and every scooter or bike as I use it. Works... but not as nice as a real full lift would. I was looking around and of course the eBay $250 ones start adding up with shipping which they seem to think a lot of or don't know how to do cheaply... plus you get a whimpy piston and have to spend another $50 to get the adapter to air compressor run it. And a few other things about them that I don't think justifies saving the money.

Anyone know of anything cheaper thats as good as my link? That link one would be $634 to my work place (I have a fork lift here).

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Re: Motorcycle lifts again....
Reply #1 - 03/28/05 at 11:51:21

If you weld or have access to someone who does, I bought plans from "AFAB" in AZ to build a lift that uses a auto type floor jack. So you get the advantage of having a floor jack to use also except when you are actually liting the bike. Try <afabonline.com>  I have a Western Cycle air lift and it has been worth every bit of the $ I paid for it 6 years ago (my goodness has it been that long since I retired). I got the side plates for ATV's so can put the riding mower in the air to get after the blades to remove and sharpen them. The front tire cycle vise makes working on abike very easy. It clamps well enough I do not use straps.  It comes in a hydraulic rather than air version and the new one has a slide out spot so the rear tire can be removed with less fussing. I bought a used scissors jack to use under the bike to get the rear tire off the deck. Bike jacker <www.biggmaxx.com&gt; also has a lift or used to that takes up less room and seemed to be pretty neat. Saw ad for it after I got mine. good luck in your search. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
cphilip
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 03/28/05 at 12:44:53

I can actualy weld... well... sorta!  Roll Eyes

I just bought an Induction TIG welder. There is a lot new out there since welding class 20 years ago. They got sticks that will do ANYTHING now. But I got to repractice my skilz!

But I doubt I can end up with something as nice as that and source all the same level of mechanisms and stuff out for around $600.

IP Logged
dadorfman
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 03/29/05 at 04:49:18

Picked up a lift from Advance Auto Parts for about $60.  All three bikes have exhaust going beneath the frame.  Made adapters out of wood for the Rebel 450.  Bought a metal adapter for the Rebel 250 on eBay.  All I needed for the Savage were two strips of wood to slip under the frame and avoid the exhaust.  Use tie down straps for all three to secure the bikes.

IP Logged
cphilip
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 03/29/05 at 09:05:57

I have one of those kind of lifts already...

looking for more stable long term rebuild platform. More for the Vespa work than anything. Wand to lift BEFORE tie down and one man operation. Not possible safely with the little motorcycle jack lifts.

What I wanted to do with this discussion was to go on to the next level of discussion. This is now the "what would you get if you wanted to go on up from the normal Sears/Sams motorcycle jacklift.?"

IP Logged
bobo383
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Neck=Red

Arlington, TX
Reply #5 - 03/29/05 at 15:44:10

My bike lift - on my other thumper:

I can pick up the whole thing and there's no chance of falling over.  I got the engine hoist at pep boys, I think it was $149.

Yes I use it for engines too.

Arlington Texas
Used to have 98 & 88 Savages
  IP Logged
RG
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 03/29/05 at 16:56:36

This doesn't look the same as the one in your link, but it seems like a good deal to me.  I'm not sure if it's like the one you already have or not.  Here's the link:

http://www.motorcyclejacks.com/MAL-2.shtml

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #7 - 03/29/05 at 17:25:27

Cphillip. looked at the site in your original post. Looks to me like that will do everything you want to do well. Only difference in the one I have is it is scissors style rather than parallel gram, so goes straight up rather than raring back some. Won't be enough to make any difference. I really like having the table top area there for tools and parts. I leave the 8" ATV extensions on mine even though it makes reaching across difficult some times. It also gives me place and mount and dismount if I am going to kick start a non-electric bike.  Seems like you are pretty serious about fixing scooters and cycles and working while standing up is much more efficient and fun. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #8 - 03/29/05 at 17:59:41

If you can builf a knock-off of the roll-on lift, do it. I've worked in bike shops off and on for the last 17 years. A roll-on is infinitely superior to an under the frame cheapo. You should be able to build one for a couple hundred bucks, tops, if you know a good metal source. Kind of a pain for wheel and fork tear down, but...
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
cphilip
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 03/30/05 at 10:17:46

RG wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
This doesn't look the same as the one in your link, but it seems like a good deal to me.  I'm not sure if it's like the one you already have or not.  Here's the link:

http://www.motorcyclejacks.com/MAL-2.shtml

Thats the same as I already have. The one in my link is the Next Big step up in work platforms. Thats where I am heading. You will find reasons as you get older to go from that to this...  Sad

IP Logged
cphilip
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 03/30/05 at 16:47:36

Max_Morley wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
Cphillip. looked at the site in your original post. Looks to me like that will do everything you want to do well. Only difference in the one I have is it is scissors style rather than parallel gram, so goes straight up rather than raring back some. Won't be enough to make any difference. I really like having the table top area there for tools and parts. I leave the 8" ATV extensions on mine even though it makes reaching across difficult some times. It also gives me place and mount and dismount if I am going to kick start a non-electric bike.  Seems like you are pretty serious about fixing scooters and cycles and working while standing up is much more efficient and fun. Max

Good input Max. You think that one looks solid? I mean the hydraulic mechanisms look pretty substantial and workmanship seems above average. And the price looks a few hundered under compairable stations I have seen.

There is an eBay seller that has a lift for like 250 and then he wants 50 more for a air motor and then like 200 for shipping. And its not near as nice a air motor he has nor is it near as substantial looking. And heck... your at 500 already with that money. I certainly don't want to end up with a piece o crap thats nickel and dimed me to get there. So I pretty much have passed on that eBay one.

But so far I have not found a better looking package for this kind of money. But wondered if anyone else had. I am open to suggestions but I think I am going to do enough work to justify having a comfortable lift like this.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #11 - 04/01/05 at 14:21:11

You have a good air compressor?

IP Logged
cphilip
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 04/02/05 at 06:58:47

Yep...   Got that and about every air tool there is as well so got that covered. already. Can't live without one now a days.

IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #13 - 04/02/05 at 07:27:35

darn right. The very first thing after we bought the house was the air compressor- not appliances, not sofa bed, not a chair. The compressor saves in many ways.  Good air tools are pleasure to use and in a long run pay off many times. The "air" is a must if You intend to work on a regular bases on a different vehicles.
Now I am searching to buy a good lift , but I am cheap so I am looking for a used one from somebody that had it to pretend he works on his bikes. I thought I'll do without a lift, but obviously I am getting old.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
cphilip
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 04/02/05 at 17:42:42

Quote:
Now I am searching to buy a good lift , but I am cheap so I am looking for a used one from somebody that had it to pretend he works on his bikes. I thought I'll do without a lift, but obviously I am getting old.

Yea I had hoped to run across one. But seems about obvious that many others are also doing the same. And most times a shop goes outa business there is some insider got a fast track on them. So I am just going to break down and get a decent one. I still using my Sears jack even today. I will probably keep it around for small jobs and maybe keep it too. Never know when you need a quick lift. But for serious rebuild and building I need to be totaly upright or better yet in a chair! All a jack seems to do for me is get me on my knees which can be better than laying on my back an still not get to something. Its certainly much better than none at all. But its time to go all the way.

And that one I linked sure looks solid and all for a tad over 600 bucks shipped.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 00:55:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Motorcycle lifts again....

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.