Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
air mixture screw question (Read 15 times)
erikrichard

air mixture screw question
03/30/05 at 18:37:37

I drilled out the screw cover today and discovered the air mixture screw was turned all the way in.  Is that the way '98's came, or was that a dealer screwup? I adjusted it 1 1/2 turns out, and it does seem to run better.  btw, the header pipe was very blue at the head when I bought it and turns yellow after the bend toward the muffler - this tells me it is running rich, but maybe thats just par for the course with these bikes.  any thoughts?

IP Logged
bobo383
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Neck=Red

Arlington, TX
Re: air mixture screw question
Reply #1 - 03/30/05 at 19:09:56

My 98 was pretty much the same when I got it last year.  Blue and Yellow exhaust are not rich, though, that's a sign of heat from the engine being too lean.

Richer = cooler due to latent heat of vaporization of fuel.

Arlington Texas
Used to have 98 & 88 Savages
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #2 - 03/30/05 at 19:33:37

erikrichard wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
I drilled out the screw cover today and discovered the air mixture screw was turned all the way in.  Is that the way '98's came, or was that a dealer screwup? I adjusted it 1 1/2 turns out, and it does seem to run better.  btw, the header pipe was very blue at the head when I bought it and turns yellow after the bend toward the muffler - this tells me it is running rich, but maybe thats just par for the course with these bikes.  any thoughts?

The header will get a nice golden color under a proper mix.  If it turns blue then it is too lean and a little hot (not rich).  The fact that the screw was all the way in is part of it, BUT that was set at the factory....so what did the previous owner do to modify the engine?  Or did the previous owner run it hot in some way?  Long idles or lots of slow traffic in the summer.

Adjusting it out was good and probably helped the backfires a bit too.....but you didn't mention if everything is stock.....that is usually the key.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #3 - 03/31/05 at 06:09:42

My 98 was almost all the way in... less than a quarter turn from it anyway.  I backed it out to one and a half turns from fully in and it stuck there.  I can't seem to get it freed but it seems to be about where I want it so I'm only mildly concerned.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #4 - 03/31/05 at 06:26:04

Usually when the people try to drill-out the plug, they touch the scrw with the tip of the drill bit and turn the pilot screw in. This creates the impression that the screw has been almost all the way in.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #5 - 03/31/05 at 06:30:32

It's entirely possible in my case because I know the bit did touch the screw.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
erikrichard

Reply #6 - 03/31/05 at 09:00:04

Wow, thanks for the info, I thought blueing meant rich.  That really suprises me, as I live near Denver - since the air is leaner that usually causes a rich condition.  I am sure my drill didnt turn the screw, as it has an electric brake and I was very carefull.  Plus, I had to change the idle after I backed it out.
Bike is totally stock, 5k on it.

IP Logged
rkutzner
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 03/31/05 at 17:58:46

Drill the screw in? Gotta disagree with that one.  How come everyone finds their screw turned way in and when they turn it out where it belongs 90% of the huffing and chuffing goes away ?  That's because it wasn't turned 1.5 turns out (seems to be a common good setting) to begin with !!!  What you are seeing is a factory federal mandated tree hugger setting!  Properly adjust it off the factory 'almost closed' position and it makes a world of difference.  Thin out that white spacer and up the main jet to 150 or 152.5 and it is a WORLD of difference........... Grin

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #8 - 04/01/05 at 05:27:57

erikrichard wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
Wow, thanks for the info, I thought blueing meant rich.  That really suprises me, as I live near Denver - since the air is leaner that usually causes a rich condition.  I am sure my drill didnt turn the screw, as it has an electric brake and I was very carefull.  Plus, I had to change the idle after I backed it out.
Bike is totally stock, 5k on it.

Yep, and now your backfires will be fewer.  And even with the stock pipe you can follow rkutzner's advice and change the main and the spacer.  Then you'll see a real difference.

IP Logged
erikrichard

Reply #9 - 04/01/05 at 08:13:23

I called the Harley dealer yesterday and asked about a sporty muffler.  He said he has a ton of them and I could take my pick for $30.  You still think I should rejet after this change to 150 given I live at 6,000 feet?

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #10 - 04/01/05 at 08:25:49

erikrichard wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
I called the Harley dealer yesterday and asked about a sporty muffler.  He said he has a ton of them and I could take my pick for $30.  You still think I should rejet after this change to 150 given I live at 6,000 feet?

I'm still trying to understand why people want to put a Sporty muffler on a Savage.  Not because of a dislike for HD, but because of the design....we have a single cylinder 650 and a dual exhaust Harley 883 or 1200 is using a muffler designed for the flow from either a 440 or 600 size cylinder.  To me, that sounds like a step backwards in flow, unless you start pulling out the guts....and if you're gonna do that, why not just do it to the stock Savage pipe?  You'll save all that mounting and clamping work too.

IP Logged
woodworker
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 04/01/05 at 09:16:29

Greg;
Agree with you 100%, everyone is defeating the original purpose of a muffler change (more power-better sound).
If anything they should be installing a muffler from at least a 1450cc HD.

IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #12 - 04/01/05 at 21:22:44

I had the same concern, BUT the results show different. It is not the fact that HD exhaust is the best - You can get a ton of better pipes. Simply the original Suzuki muffler sucks. Just take a look at the small diameter of the back and compare it with the Sportster one. Listen at the wistling sound of the original pipe and decide do You like it. I don't. The fact that the HD exhaust is louder tells You that it slows down the gases less. I don't want to go into the size of the expantion chamber or into the lenght of the exhaust, because I haven't done any calculations. In my expirience the Sportster exhaust is lighter, cheaper and makes the bike run and sound better

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #13 - 04/01/05 at 21:32:05

slavy wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
I had the same concern, BUT the results show different. It is not the fact that HD exhaust is the best - You can get a ton of better pipes. Simply the original Suzuki muffler sucks. Just take a look at the small diameter of the back and compare it with the Sportster one. Listen at the wistling sound of the original pipe and decide do You like it. I don't. The fact that the HD exhaust is louder tells You that it slows down the gases less. I don't want to go into the size of the expantion chamber or into the lenght of the exhaust, because I haven't done any calculations. In my expirience the Sportster exhaust is lighter, cheaper and makes the bike run and sound better

Sure,,, but the exhaust is tuned for a purpose and the dealer guy said that he had a "ton of them lying around" (gotta make ya wonder)...so picking the RIGHT one is the deal.  They aren't all the same and they don't just bolt right up and you have to MAKE it fit and then you HOPE that it is a better choice.  

So why buy an exhaust from a Hummer when you need one for a Cadillac?
8)

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #14 - 04/01/05 at 23:00:27

Because the aftermarket Savage spec mufflers are also junk? I've seen and heard the Jardine up close...pass...cheaper made than the stocker. I've seen and heard the Supertrapp, nice looking, tunable, seems to have a problem with the guts falling out though. JC Whitless and such? Tried it, they're junk. MAC? No experience with, ditto the Raask, but both seem okay per Max in Moses Lake.

The piglet muffler is inexpensive, lasts a disproportionately long time, holds its chrome well, sounds good, and flows like mad. There are two sizes, for an otherwise stock bike, get the small center hole, for a modofied carb, get the large center hole, also known as a Screaming Eagle upgrade. Still fairly inexpensive, flows too much for stock Mikuni B40 jetting.

Simple economics (wretchonomics?).
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 00:15:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › air mixture screw question