How to Bondo (Read 180 times)
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
How to Bondo
03/27/05 at 14:26:54

The words of someone I respect:

As someone who has been using body filler most of my life...
1. You can knockoff the majority of the excess filler as soon as at tacks up enough for a surform file to cut without clogging or skipping.
2. Let the remaining putty sit AT LEAST 3 days before final sanding. Scuff the top off with 60 grit twice a day. You want the shrinkage and outgassing done before you final sand and start the primer/glaze coat process.
3. Make sure you coat the putty with an etching primer for maximum adhesion.
4. Rustoleum auto primer over the etching prime. Fills the micro pits better than lacquer based primers. Is lacquer safe, gives a smooth base for the topcoat to adhere to.
5. Wet sand the primer to 600 grit before you add color coat. 2 dust coats of color. Wet sand with 400 or 600, add a "wet coat" of color. Make sure you use a clear over the color.

Have fun. Take your time. When you finish the fender top, but preferably, before you finish the fender top, buy a can of under coating or bed liner spray (Wal-mart stuff is fine). Will protect the topcoats from junk hitting the underside of the fender. Lessens the impact and lowers the chance of the force cracking the paint.
-WD

WWW   IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Re: How to Bondo
Reply #1 - 03/29/05 at 17:52:09

No problemo.  Grin I hate to see someone spend time and money on a project, only to have the paint fail within a month because the putty fumes "popped through". I don't know about you folks, but I'd rather spend an extra couple days in the prep stages than have to redo it later because I was impatient.

As an amendment, undercoat the fender before ANY topside work is done. That way, if you get any up top, you can use some lacquer thinnner on a rag to wipe off the excess. With no harm done. Beats messing up the bondo/related, or the primer with the thinner. No sense sanding if you don't have too...
-WD

Oh, and wear a dust mask when you sand the putty. Catalyzed materials are like asbestos, they go in easy and don't come out...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 16:49:57

General CategoryTechnical Documents/Reference › How to Bondo

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.