Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: Paint
Reply #30 - 03/30/05 at 19:25:40

Another question?????????? or two?????

So the Bondo requires 3 days for curing and "outgasing" and final sanding?  It doesn't say that on the can, but it's true?

And an etching primer?  I haven't seen that on any can labels.  I've seen "sandable" but not etching.  Explain?

I'm a "newbie" body man, in case you wonder (but I'm a quick learner Smiley

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #31 - 03/30/05 at 21:24:41

It doesn't specifically reguire 3 days, however, plastic body filler was invented for the body shop industry. Fill, spray, out the door. Who cares what it looks like in a week, let alone a year.  Roll Eyes There is a reason I still use lead for some repairs...

Etching primer has an acid base. It "eats" into the substrate. I have had excellent results with Plasti-kote brand, part number 470 grey. I get it at Pep Boys. You can get similar from Autozone, Schucks (aw shucks, we ain't got it) part of the Checker/Schucks/Kragen parts empire, and where you are, GI Joes. Pep Boys carries Plasti-kote, the others carry Dupli-color. Same idea. Next? Glad to help, I love doing body and paint.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
rkutzner
Ex Member

Reply #32 - 03/31/05 at 18:07:25

Hey guys, is the battery box plastic or metal?  If plastic then Krylon Fusion works wonders on plastic...it 'moleculurly bonds' to plastic.  Never chips off of fender flares or my quad/dirt bike plastics.

IP Logged
cphilip
Ex Member

Reply #33 - 03/31/05 at 19:29:32

those new plastic paints are good.... but painting plastic is age old technology. Well... not that old but old enough to be perfected.

The problem with those paints is your limited by color selection they make them in. And they make no metalics in those and they are VERY limited. But  they do work because they incorporate chemicals in them that have long been used in body work on plastics.

Painting plastic parts in body work with matching paints has been done for years. One product I use with regularity and great sucsess is called "Bulldog". It's a plastic adheasion promoter and elastisizer that you spray on first and let flash off and then you proceed as normal with your base and clear coat. You can see that T5 I did. It has mucho plastic parts up on the headset. All done in the very same Metalic flake black and clear coat.

Its been used for years on bumpers and plastic trim on cars...etc...  Simple and easy to do. The stuff works great. A quart lasts forever. It has to be sprayed at a lower pressure than paint. About 30psi but it covers well and flashes off in less than 30 minutes and is ready for color then.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #34 - 04/01/05 at 05:20:30

cphilip wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
those new plastic paints are good.... but painting plastic is age old technology. Well... not that old but old enough to be perfected.

The problem with those paints is your limited by color selection they make them in. And they make no metalics in those and they are VERY limited. But  they do work because they incorporate chemicals in them that have long been used in body work on plastics.

Painting plastic parts in body work with matching paints has been done for years. One product I use with regularity and great sucsess is called "Bulldog". It's a plastic adheasion promoter and elastisizer that you spray on first and let flash off and then you proceed as normal with your base and clear coat. You can see that T5 I did. It has mucho plastic parts up on the headset. All done in the very same Metalic flake black and clear coat.

Its been used for years on bumpers and plastic trim on cars...etc...  Simple and easy to do. The stuff works great. A quart lasts forever. It has to be sprayed at a lower pressure than paint. About 30psi but it covers well and flashes off in less than 30 minutes and is ready for color then.

Okay, okay...what actually does "flashes" mean?

IP Logged
cphilip
Ex Member

Reply #35 - 04/01/05 at 07:43:10

Not maybe what it sounds like.... No fire involved unless of course you are into that kinda thing!  Grin

Just dry fast. Wait till its a bit past tacky stage is all it means. And dependent upon weather, temp and humidity that is going to vary. Basicaly its dry but not really worried about if it's cured all the way in this case for this product.

Note: you still want to scuff pad the plastic parts before you apply this but do not scuff pad this before you apply the Primer/Paint.

I buy this stuff in a Quart because it comes out cheaper. But it does come in a rattle can as well

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #36 - 04/01/05 at 08:03:42

rkutzner wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
Hey guys, is the battery box plastic or metal?  If plastic then Krylon Fusion works wonders on plastic...it 'moleculurly bonds' to plastic.  Never chips off of fender flares or my quad/dirt bike plastics.  

The battery box has a plastic top and the rest is chromed steel....

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #37 - 04/01/05 at 08:07:47

cphilip wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
Not maybe what it sounds like.... No fire involved unless of course you are into that kinda thing!  Grin

Just dry fast. Wait till its a bit past tacky stage is all it means. And dependent upon weather, temp and humidity that is going to vary. Basicaly its dry but not really worried about if it's cured all the way in this case for this product.

Note: you still want to scuff pad the plastic parts before you apply this but do not scuff pad this before you apply the Primer/Paint.

Okay.  That's kinda what I quessed.  I figured that is was close to being "dry".

BTW - I also scuffed the clear coat on my engine cases before I applied the ceramic engine paint.  That plus actually baking the paint, made it very tough.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #38 - 04/02/05 at 16:13:39

Update....the fender looks deeper because of the filler that contours over the pillon and rectifier mounts.  I tapered the radius under the rear of the rider seat and between the frame tubes.  No more holes except for the ones for the signals.

The last primer coat after wet sanding.....

The first base coat of the green to dry over night....

This rookie used almost a quart of Bondo and most of it became powder on the floor  Roll Eyes

IP Logged
cphilip
Ex Member

Reply #39 - 04/02/05 at 17:30:26

Lookin good Greg.

Is that your name thing you got taped off up there?  

More Bondo on the floor aint such a bad thing. Its like sex... better too much than too little!

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #40 - 04/02/05 at 17:54:24

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
...This rookie used almost a quart of Bondo and most of it became powder on the floor  Roll Eyes
Archived.   Looking dman good for a first bondo job.

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #41 - 04/02/05 at 19:06:06

Paladin. wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
Archived.   Looking dman good for a first bondo job.

Thanks.  It was tough and I challenged myself more than I thought to do the job....tomorrow I will wet sand and paint some more.

From now on I have more respect for the guys that do this stuff on custom bikes to be sure.  It takes a lot of "feel" to do it....you gotta look at it from all kinds of angles, and your fingers have to be real accurate.  You got to just sense shape and it isn't easy.

Not sure if I've done it well enough, yet.  If I don't like it, I'll redo.  Tomorrow I wet sand and repaint.  That will tell.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #42 - 04/02/05 at 19:08:56

cphilip wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
Lookin good Greg.

Is that your name thing you got taped off up there?  

More Bondo on the floor aint such a bad thing. Its like sex... better too much than too little!

Yes, my name is taped off.  I hope to feather the paint and then clear coat that paint too.  If the base doesn't match well enough, I'll regrettably remove it and paint over it.

I told myself that too....just glad that a quart was enough Shocked)

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #43 - 04/02/05 at 19:21:30

Greg, here's another little "trade secret" to make sure your putty work is acceptable and ready for paint.  Ask your wife for a hand sized piece of nylon stocking material. Put it on your hand like a mitten, rubber band it over yor wrist. Place that hand over the piece you want to inspect. Close your eyes and rub your hand over the panel or spot repair. The nylon lets your hand "slip/glide" without getting skin oils all over the part. By closing your eyes, you feel blemishes that your eyes would cause your hand to miss. Trust me, it works.

As far as Bondo dust goes, 90% or more of the wet putty put on had better wind up on the floor as dust. Body fillers, even the newer formulations, are for less than 1/16th inch, preferably less than 1/64th inch, skim repairs. They work in thicker layers, but are more fragile. Polyester and talcum powder with red or other dye to show consistency. Think contaminated fiberglass resin, without the glass reinforcing strands.

If the green sections don't transition well, instead of sanding your name off, mask them only. Cut out the tape around them and give the entire green section a pass or two. Clear it, pop the tape off, clear it again. No biggie, just a few extra steps. The way it is raining a couple hours north of you, I hope you painted the parts in the house. I watch the Portland news, you've been getting wet too. Come summer, the paint may try to "gray out". Bomb can paints and humidity do not get along very well. At the very least, cure the paint in the front room, not the garage. Saves alot of grief later inthe year.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #44 - 04/03/05 at 07:23:15

WD wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
If the green sections don't transition well, instead of sanding your name off, mask them only. Cut out the tape around them and give the entire green section a pass or two. Clear it, pop the tape off, clear it again. No biggie, just a few extra steps. The way it is raining a couple hours north of you, I hope you painted the parts in the house. I watch the Portland news, you've been getting wet too. Come summer, the paint may try to "gray out". Bomb can paints and humidity do not get along very well. At the very least, cure the paint in the front room, not the garage. Saves alot of grief later inthe year.
-WD

See, the name was painted at a rally so therefore it was never clear coated.  Seems to be a good paint, and impervious to gas or wax (my spouse has some on her tank)...but that was done almost a couple years ago, and thought the new green paint seems to be an excellent match, I wonder if there isn't a slight difference in color.  Maybe the old paint is faded a little bit, I don't know.

So the first thing I'll do is uncover the taped area and check it this morning.  If it is good, then I'll feather the paint around the area and tape it off again.  Like I did with the primer.  At this point, I'm up to 1000 grit paper.  I have some 1500, and eventually I'll move on to the polishing compound.

Oh yeah, my painting stopped yesterday when the weather went from sunny and breezy to cool and rainy.  I do know that the clear coat will only be done on a dry day.  Nothing worse than cloudy clear coat.

Oh yeah...another decision....after seeing the underside of the fender which is routinely sand blasted while riding, I'm thinking about using an under coating there.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/02/24 at 02:23:15

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Paint

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.