Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ceramic coated engine parts. (Read 6 times)
PRH111
Ex Member

Ceramic coated engine parts.
11/25/04 at 13:47:26

Anyone have any experience with this?

Just curious as I may (next year if my finances are looking good) tear down the motor in the winter and have a higher compression (9.5:1) piston spec'd out and then have the head, valves, valve guides, cam followers, cam, and pistons ceramic coated from a place like Swain Tech or HPC.  I'll probably try to get the header pipe coated as well.

The only expensive part would be the custom piston (coating the engine parts isn't too expensive...I'm darn glad I have a single cylinder engine).

IP Logged
Mr 650
Serious Thumper

The LS650- Classic
style & 4-valve
engine

Mempho
Re: Ceramic coated engine parts.
Reply #1 - 11/25/04 at 22:04:51

Sounds good. Keep us posted. I will be tied up until next year but am interested in a 9.5/1 piston. Usually you will have to buy like a bunch of pistons to get a break, pick a number, like 100, from someone like JE http://www.jepistons.com/ They make the best forgings and offer w/ coating, gas porting, etc. See their order form. They may have something on the shelf. Years ago they would make anything.
It is a place to start and I bet there are other capable suppliers. Count me in and I'm sure several others would be glad to help fill the order.
Something w/ stock ring layout and better/lighter material piston & wrist pin and a trick coated skirt should do it. There is a guy on Heise (I think) that had the jug coated too and says he broke into the triple digets. I wish i had time to pursue this now. I was going to send JE a stock Savage piston ( for instance; I assume all years are the same) and order a batch w/ 9.5 /1 domes.
How many here would be interested in ordering a batch of new 9.5/1 pistons? How much is too much?
FYI; RonAyers.com quotes a stock Savage piston set is $76.31.
A stock Savage is square bore x stroke is 94mm = 3.7007"x 3.7007", here's  more possiblities; http://www.donsautopages.co.nz/enginespecs.htm
A 3.8 L & 305 c.i. chevy  is 94.89mm  and the Toyota truck 4 valve is 94.01mm bore so I bet a making slugs for a Savage is not too hard? It wish I had a 650 piston to compare to a Chevy with.
http://www.ronayers.com/fiche/300_0271/crankshaft/crankshaft.cfm
Part Number: 12100-24B00-050
Description: PISTON SET,OS0.
Price: $76.31

SilverBlue '01,K&N,Snorklectomy,125mm NOS carb, 1/2 spacer & 155, 'Trapp, NC flyscreen, Suzy GelSeat, Osram H4
later..putt. Putt, PUtt, PUTT! 8)
HelmetLawsSuck
  IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #2 - 11/26/04 at 02:00:59

I'll ask the usual question, why not go for more cubes at the same time ?

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
PRH111
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 11/27/04 at 06:28:21

Group buy on 9.5:1 pistons sounds good to me.

klx650:  Paranoia-  I can tear down and rebuild the engine myself but I don't have the tools/expertise to bore out the cylinder.  I have seen a few engines which had their bores taken out a few millimeters and while the bores seemed perfect as soon as the crank, girdle, and pistons were put in the bores "deformed" and became semi-oval at some point.

Therefore I keep my costs down and simultaneous work performed limited.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 12:29:27

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Ceramic coated engine parts.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.