Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
That "mysterious" electrical system (Read 1055 times)
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
That "mysterious" electrical system
11/01/04 at 06:05:25

The harness routing on a Savage looks like this....from the Suzuki Service Manual

« Last Edit: 12/08/12 at 13:12:27 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: That "mysterious" electrical system
Reply #1 - 11/01/04 at 06:07:44

And in a "real time" photo, it looks like this... Roll Eyes

I left the regulator on the fender...

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #2 - 11/01/04 at 06:09:31

But if you want to chase a wire color though the harness, you'll need this....

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #3 - 11/01/04 at 06:21:34

And Suzuki went through a lot of trouble to hide the safety switch "double" diode so that you can't bypass the side stand, nuetral, and clutch lever interlocks.  It is wrapped in tape.  The little blue wire going into the right side of your rear engine case near the clutch lever comes all the way to the tank....

The little bit of red that shows in that large electrical connector is where I bypassed the clutch lever switch  Shocked

Also, while we're at it here is the nuetral light switch connector under the tank...

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #4 - 11/01/04 at 06:31:43

And if you wonder what's inside the starter unit or you need to change the brushes...it just takes 1 cable, 2 bolts to remove it and 2 bolts to open it up.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #5 - 11/01/04 at 06:41:00

And the cables for the charging/ignition system go from under the seat...BETWEEN the battery and airbox...along the frame cradle...behind the front pulley cover...and end up here...not easy to get to on a stock bike.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #6 - 11/01/04 at 06:53:11

And the moving parts of the charging/ignition system are nothing more than rotating magnets.  This is the rotor.  This induces the current flow in the alternator windings and also triggers the ignition pickup for a spark.

In blue is the painted mark at 3:00, which is when the engine is at TDC on the compression stroke.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #7 - 11/01/04 at 06:59:03

This is the timing mark with the cover in place.  Not really electrical, but it is related to timing...

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #8 - 11/01/04 at 07:05:14

And while we're on the subject...here is a crude tool that I made with scraps of metal for removing the plug to view the timing mark.  I've thought about patenting this  Grin but the real reason I show this is that if you ever crack the plug by using a screwdriver and hammer...you'll wish you had this.

« Last Edit: 04/10/15 at 05:44:59 by Dave »  

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #9 - 11/01/04 at 07:58:49

This is the voltage regulator/rectifier under the passenger seat...and there is brake light modulator too, which attaches with double sided tape.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #10 - 11/02/04 at 05:55:33

klx650sm2002 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
Can the ignition pickup be unscrewed and slotted for more advance ?

Clive W  Cheesy

Probably with a little machine work and ingenuity.  It could be moved experimentally, yes.  However the real problem is access while experimenting...the cover gasket also contains its own adhesive and can be installed only once.  Once heated, the gasket is ruined when removed.  There goes $20....

Having a mechanism for external adjustment would be much better.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #11 - 11/03/04 at 02:49:03

Sgt_Mike wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
Hey Greg;
What is the purpose of the brake modulator? I know what modulators are suppose to do, but why for the brake light? Also where is the best place to buy a shop/repair manual?. In the JC Whitney catalog I saw a small unit 1"X 2" that turns the brake light into a strobe light when the brakes are applied. A good idea?

There are many modulators for the brake light, and the one in JCW probably is similar.  The purpose is to be seen, especially if you are sitting behind another vehicle at a stop.  This causes the light to blink in different or irregular patterns...even some cars have this feature for the 3rd brake light.  There are even bulbs that plug into the socket that do the something similar (my spouse has that one).  The Back Off unit is probably the best known unit.

Manual?  A Clymer manual.  Amazon.com, Wal Mart, Barnes & Nobles, and the dealer.  But I have a Suzuki Service Manual that I bought from the dealer.

IP Logged
Sgt_Mike
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 11/03/04 at 05:08:55

Greg;
Great display and super info. Thanks for taking the time my friend.
Does the Suzuki manual include diagnotics and trouble shooting of the electrical system? Do the after market manuals offer a comprehensive diagnosis as good as the Suzuki manual? Thanks. Have a good day.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #13 - 11/03/04 at 05:51:34

The Suzuki Service Manual is a real shop manual designed for the trained motorcycle mechanic.  So the info is complete, but probably not the "lead you by the hand" kind of manual as the Clymer.  The manual is technically detailed for all Savage years, but for example, when it explains how to do the complete engine teardown, it sort of assumes that you'll know how to do the reverse operation and put it back together.  So, it isn't for beginners.

It is also a 7 ring loose leaf binder type manual so you can remove or add pages and costs about twice what the Clymer does.  Since there are 2 Savages in our stable, I chose this manual.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #14 - 11/03/04 at 13:28:57

Slopoke wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
Greg, I'm a real novice when it comes to mechanics, so forgive me if this is stupid.....
but, WHY do you take apart your bike every winter????

Slopoke

Not stupid, and most people think that I'm the one with the problem anway.  

Why?  Don't know, it's just a hobby.  I've been taking things apart all my life.  I used to take things apart on my Dad's car and hope he'd never find out.  It didn't matter what.  An old appliance, an old stereo, or an old engine. Just to see how it works, and I've always been challenged by the idea of putting it back together in working order too.

Another example....My clothes dryer died not long ago.  I was sure it was a broken belt, but I had never ever been inside a dryer before...let alone one that was 18 years old.  I couldn't see the broken belt but I had a hunch what it looked like.  I found a replacement belt at an appliance store...it took me one hour start to finish and my dryer is running fine now.  Cost me $15.  No experience, no book, just what I like to do.

But getting back to bikes...if I can't really enjoy riding my bike in bad weather, then what I really enjoy is wrenching my bike in bad weather....and when I take it apart, my little mind is going "What if"?

Simple enough?  Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 14:54:08

General CategoryTechnical Documents/Reference › That "mysterious" electrical system

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.