Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
It`s official (Read 12 times)
rkutzner
Ex Member

Re: It`s offical
Reply #15 - 10/27/04 at 13:02:24

Semper Fi from another Pearl White S40 Jar Head owner!  White gives you more options on the tank....like a nice airbrushed Eagle, Globe & Anchor  Grin

I went back and forth alot between the S40 and S50 and am VERY glad I got the 40 because I have TONS of twisty back roads around here and most of my time is spent rolling left/right/left (a Marine thing?).  The lighter the bike the quicker the response and the power is plenty for the steepest of hills.  The bike is just a HOOT !!!

When you get it adjust the idle mixture screw out to the highest idle (then turn the idle set screw back some to where the idle speed was before).  For me it was 1.5 turns out (factory was 1/16th out Embarrassed).  This will eliminate 95% of the backfires you will experience....

IP Logged
Sgt_Mike
Ex Member

Re: It`s official
Reply #16 - 10/28/04 at 05:09:48

You have read my mind. An Eagle Globe & Anchor is going to be air brushed on the tank. The screw that you're refering to. Is it the air/fuel mixture screw or the idle mixture screw? Is it the one that I keep reading about in this forum? The one that's under a brass plug that's got to be popped out to gain access to the screw?  Thanks for the welcome and making me feel at home folks. Have a great day Smiley.
                                                      Sgt Mike

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #17 - 10/28/04 at 05:52:54

That's the one.  It's under a brass plug with a dab of paint on it.  Just drill a hole in it (being careful not to apply much pressure since the screw behind it is also brass).  Then screw a sheetmetal screw into it and pull it out with a pair of pliers.

Oh yeah, a squid here... maybe I'll just use the fouled anchor.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #18 - 10/28/04 at 06:53:41

Oh, First Class Petty Officer, I see...hmmmm.

Yeah, drill it carefully...but when I did mine, the drill must have relieved the pressed in force on the brass plug and the whole thing came spinning out with the drill anyway.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #19 - 10/28/04 at 07:09:26

Yup, used to be an STG1.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #20 - 10/28/04 at 08:13:20

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Yup, used to be an STG1.

I guess that I wasn't a high achiever.  Just knock off the bottom stripe for me....I was an ADJ2.

IP Logged
PRH111
Ex Member

Reply #21 - 10/28/04 at 08:26:42

Am I the only ex-Army guy here?  E-5 as well (as most people here seem to be/have been).

Diane wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Ha! I can top all of you.  When I was riding the back country roads in New Mexico I actually got 70 miles to the gallon.  Maybe it has something to do with a rookie going easy on the throttle but I was keeping up with 3 Harleys.

Higher altitude in New Mexico, thinner air...means you had a more optimized air/fuel ratio (without adjusting from the factory) and therefore more available power for the given amount of fuel and required less throttle input for a given speed.  I remember doing the BATAAN death march in New Mexico (4000' elevation, just hitting 90 degrees, 25 miles of sand).

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #22 - 10/28/04 at 08:59:28

me i was a real achiever

after 4 years i made it all the way up to mmfn

that's a e-3 for you green uniform types.

that and never lost a stripe.. Grin

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #23 - 10/28/04 at 10:13:41

Ahhh, Machinist Mate - Fireman.... sort of a fresh-air snipe.  Well maybe just a plain old hole-snipe.  I guess you could only be called fresh-air if compared to a BT, huh?

sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #24 - 10/28/04 at 10:57:16

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Ahhh, Machinist Mate - Fireman.... sort of a fresh-air snipe.  Well maybe just a plain old hole-snipe.  I guess you could only be called fresh-air if compared to a BT, huh?

roflmao.... got that right.  fresh air on the first ship " A"
gang . hole-snipe on second.  on the second my job was tied closely to a BT  i was distill tank feed, bt was several feet away as boiler feed.  it's been 30 years and yet  sometimes at night the damage control drills just start running and i swear i was back on the ole thomaston.

for the rest of you that means we sat in the bowels of the ship in 125 -130 degree heat for up to 12 of the 24 hrs in a day.  when we wern't on watch or sleeping we were training. because at sea there ain't no fire department or ambulance to save our butts if something happed.  i think that's what led me to thumpers. simple machine that i can do all the maintance my self and take responsibilty for my personal safety.  

oh yeah on the thomaston we did drag the "jarheads' from the philipines to japan to korea. back to okinowa (sp) back to the p.i.   with them "hugging the rails".  

now don't get me started on the way back machine.. and the P.I.... because i believe this is a "g" rated forum.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #25 - 10/28/04 at 11:13:51

Heh, I know that feelin'.  I was 7th Fleet for five years aboard two frigates... FF-1071 USS Badger and FF-1055 USS Hepburn (formerly DE-1071 and DE-1055) and both were DFM plants.  Even though I was a twidget, my first six months aboard ship was DC maintenance for my division.  I am well acquainted with Olongapo and Subic myself and am also a proud Shellback.

Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #26 - 10/28/04 at 11:45:07

Yipes, the place is crawling with Blackshoes all of a sudden.  Aren't there any Airdales around here?

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #27 - 10/28/04 at 13:04:38

ff 1073 robert e peary.  73 -76  i too am a proud shellback   kenya was a kewl place back then.

my party place in olongopo    the "L" club, and peralla's located in officer country.   i was the only enlisted man  that hung out there.  it bothered the officers but not me.  

i rode a honda cb 350 there.  when out to sea
the poe city  police chief  used it.  corruption sure had it's perks. Grin   i brought it back to pearl, never could get it registered as it was a japan market machine and didn't meet u.s. specs.. pretty much gave it away at that point.

"Lips Sealed"  i never encounter this smiley there.  Wink

quick funny story. between westpacs the main street was paved in poe city.  i came out of the "L" club  crossed the street, shore patrol stopped me and said olongopo was now "civilized" and we must use the cross walks.. i said you could pave the street with gold and it will never be civilized  laffed and went on my merry way.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #28 - 10/28/04 at 13:50:08

No doubt, did Mombasa myself... even the Tsavo wildlife preserve.  Drinkin' Tusker and Whitecap.  Back to the land of San Miguel and Red Horse, I went straight down Magsaysay Blvd, grabbed a jeepney and went to Barrio Barretto - hung out at a little joint called My Other Place.

rkutzner
Ex Member

Reply #29 - 10/28/04 at 17:26:16

Sgt_Mike wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
You have read my mind. An Eagle Globe & Anchor is going to be air brushed on the tank. The screw that you're refering to. Is it the air/fuel mixture screw or the idle mixture screw? Is it the one that I keep reading about in this forum? The one that's under a brass plug that's got to be popped out to gain access to the screw?  Thanks for the welcome and making me feel at home folks. Have a great day Smiley.
                                                      Sgt Mike

After you set the idle/mixture screw to get the highest idle rpm, then look on the left of the bike and there is a brass thumb screw to adjust the idle speed (NOT mixture...just RPM).  Adjust that back down to around where it was before.  I tend to like it a little lower for more 'shake'.  Email me a pic of that EG&A when you get it done (rkutzner@ccpl.carr.org).

I made E-4 in my 4 years (not an easy task in the Marines) 8).....0311....grunt...grunt......

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/07/24 at 08:30:56

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › It`s official

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.