Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
It`s official (Read 12 times)
Sgt_Mike
Ex Member

It`s official
10/26/04 at 17:05:45

Hi folks;
I am now an official member of the Savage forum Cheesy. I submitted a question under Mike Hebert as a visitor. The info and tips that you gave me helped make a decision on which bike to seriously consider. I' ll stay in touch with you fine folks. It's unbelievable the amount of knowledge so unselfishly shared in this forum Kiss. Thanks. Semper Fi & be safe
                                                           Sgt Mike

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Re: It`s offical
Reply #1 - 10/26/04 at 18:25:30

glad to have ya aboard  "jar head" Roll Eyes

that from a "squid", as in sailor so you non military types don't get me confused with sombody who rides a sport bike.. and rides like a maniac.  well i have been known to do that.

here's a tip.  the best accessory you can buy for the savage is  FUEL.........
anybody see a common theme with my posts..  

next tip  you get between 80 and 90 miles a tank, and you can count on at least 20 miles on reserve. i once got 34miles all the way to empty on country roads around 50.  hwy speed it drops considerbly.  so 20 is my limit.  use small luggage combination lock as a trip meter hang it off a control cable by the zipp tie  works great.

enjoy the experience,  bone up on thumpers as it will be a conversation piece at fuel stops..

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #2 - 10/26/04 at 19:16:03

sluggo wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
here's a tip.  the best accessory you can buy for the savage is  FUEL.........
anybody see a common theme with my posts..

Nah.  I don't think I've heard you say that before  Roll Eyes 

next tip  you get between 80 and 90 miles a tank, and you can count on at least 20 miles on reserve. i once got 34miles all the way to empty on country roads around 50.  hwy speed it drops considerbly.  so 20 is my limit...

I can go 100 miles before reserve easy but I don't do a lot of highway driving and I am working off a stock exhaust.

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #3 - 10/26/04 at 20:03:59

First, Welcome Mike, from another Mike an ex E-5 Wing-Nut.

Riding to work today Thumper started running rough, missing, coughing, wanting to die.  Flipped the fuel lever forward and he smoothed out.  105 miles since I put in under $3 worth of gas.  And I let him idle for a couple of minutes in the morning.

WWW   IP Logged
Diane
2004 No Login

No matter where you
go, there you are.

Houston, TX
Reply #4 - 10/26/04 at 21:19:03

Ha! I can top all of you.  When I was riding the back country roads in New Mexico I actually got 70 miles to the gallon.  Maybe it has something to do with a rookie going easy on the throttle but I was keeping up with 3 Harleys.

Gas $3.39 a gallon, map $5.95, getting lost on a scenic country road.......... priceless!
2003 Teal Green Savage
Houston, TX
WWW   IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #5 - 10/26/04 at 21:27:08

susan, it must be your riding style for that exceptional milage. me i burnt off the original equipment tire in just over 4k. i'm kinda nursing it along now. hoping santa will bring me a new dunlop k555 for christmas.

it's not like i do burn outs  last time i tried that  at 1700 miles i "high ho silvered awayed" it.  lucky for you and jbird that i had already removed the original indicators.. in my state signals are not required, you are just required to signal.. now of course these days nobody knows what hand signals are, well except the one finger one. everybody knows that.  i added some red running lights that i wired to the brake circut to help with the stop light.  i attached them to the wheel adjustment bolts simple procedure ran the wires down inside the shock springs. my experience has show cages dont see any of the lights let alone the whole machine.  i just have good medical insurance and an attorney on retainer. that way my better half gets some bucks if a cage runs over me.   Sad

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #6 - 10/27/04 at 03:44:59

Sgt_Mike wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Hi folks;
I am now an official member of the Savage forum Cheesy. I submitted a question under Mike Hebert as a visitor. The info and tips that you gave me helped make a decision on which bike to seriously consider. I' ll stay in touch with you fine folks. It's unbelievable the amount of knowledge so unselfishly shared in this forum Kiss. Thanks. Semper Fi & be safe
                                                           Sgt Mike

Okay Sarg, does this mean that inspite of my "devil's advocate" statements about the Savage/40 that you still intend to buy one?  Cool.

Another ex-squid  Grin

IP Logged
Mike Hebert

Reply #7 - 10/27/04 at 04:49:15

I sure will Greg. When it comes to the Savage/S40, the pros definitely outweigh the cons. My local dealer is getting 4 of them by mid Nov., 2 whites & 2 blacks and I've got first dibs at 'em. Now which color to get. Decisions;;; Decisions. Is white easier to see than black or vise versa? A little help on this one folks. Semper Fi & be safe.
                                                                Sgt Mike

IP Logged
Sgt_Mike
Ex Member

Re: It`s official
Reply #8 - 10/27/04 at 04:54:59

Oops, I forgot to log in this AM. Senior moment? Semper Fi & be safe.
                                                                 Sgt Mike

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #9 - 10/27/04 at 04:55:12

Mike Hebert wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
I sure will Greg. When it comes to the Savage/S40, the pros definitely outweigh the cons. My local dealer is getting 4 of them by mid Nov., 2 whites & 2 blacks and I've got first dibs at 'em. Now which color to get. Decisions;;; Decisions. Is white easier to see than black or vise versa? A little help on this one folks. Semper Fi & be safe.
                                                                Sgt Mike

If it were me....I'd get the pearl white one, and I doubt that "visibility" is much of a color issue from the front or back either way.  Besides, there are a lot of black Savage/40s, and I like to be different.

IP Logged
Sgt_Mike
Ex Member

Re: It`s official
Reply #10 - 10/27/04 at 04:58:44

I agree Greg. On photos anyhow, white really looks cool/great. White it is. Semper Fi & be safe

IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #11 - 10/27/04 at 05:33:05

The other thing about white is maybe you will look like a cop and the cages will look twice...

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #12 - 10/27/04 at 10:06:15

....my experience has shown cages dont see any of the lights let alone the whole machine.  i just have good medical insurance and an attorney on retainer. that way my better half gets some bucks if a cage runs over me.   Sad

I figure the reason the Whip brought up replacing a car with a bike was for the insurance.  Which reminds me -- I have to go to t he company site to up my life insurance to a quarter mil so the wife gets the same whether I retire or die.

We have rain in L.A. -- yet yesterday and today at 6:30am I walked out to wet streets under a dry sky and rode into work.  

WWW   IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #13 - 10/27/04 at 10:28:36

Folks tell me my yellow bodied and whittr fairing and bagged 96 is hard to miss. I also wear yellow textile jackets with a white helmet. One of the boards recently had some information that lead one to believe a black and white bike with a white top, black lower helmet had higher visibility and less folks admitted to not seeing that any other color. Seems like they all know what a cycle officer looks like. Max Smiley

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #14 - 10/27/04 at 10:46:24

Max_Morley wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Folks tell me my yellow bodied and whittr fairing and bagged 96 is hard to miss. I also wear yellow textile jackets with a white helmet. One of the boards recently had some information that lead one to believe a black and white bike with a white top, black lower helmet had higher visibility and less folks admitted to not seeing that any other color. Seems like they all know what a cycle officer looks like. Max Smiley

I read an article not long ago (AMA, I think) that stated that orange (as in "orange and black") was the most visible color....

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/07/24 at 10:05:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › It`s official

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.