Exhaust Modification... (Read 27 times)
cowboylukas
YaBB Newbies
2004 No Login

Michigan
Exhaust Modification...
09/19/04 at 22:20:16

Can someone help me on this one...

I keep hearing people talking about drilling out there muffler.  Does anyone know how this is done?  Also has anyone tried to modify the muffler on their bike in anyway?  

Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.

--2004 Silver Suzuki Savage--Lukas
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: Exhaust Modification...
Reply #1 - 09/20/04 at 02:09:20

This topic is a favorite.  You might want to go through the other topics like "Does Cobra Make a Slip-on"?

If you drill it out, you may not like the sound or performance.

IP Logged
cowboylukas
YaBB Newbies
2004 No Login

Michigan
Reply #2 - 09/20/04 at 08:01:51

Ok, I will check that one out, thanks.

IP Logged
cowboylukas
YaBB Newbies
2004 No Login

Michigan
Reply #3 - 09/20/04 at 08:15:51

This topic is a favorite.  You might want to go through the other topics like "Does Cobra Make a Slip-on"?

I could not find Does Cobra Make a Slip-on?  The thing I was seeing in the other postings was all older Savages, is there any difference if I was to modify the exhaust on my '04 Savage?

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #4 - 09/20/04 at 08:22:31

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #5 - 09/20/04 at 08:24:25

cowboylukas wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
I could not find Does Cobra Make a Slip-on?  The thing I was seeing in the other postings was all older Savages, is there any difference if I was to modify the exhaust on my '04 Savage?

Here is a link to the topic in question:
Does Cobra make a slip-on?

Re: '04 exhaust vs. earlier years, one of the guys should weigh in here, but as I understand it there have been very few changes to the Savage over the years so the advice for an earlier model should work for you as well.

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
cowboylukas
YaBB Newbies
2004 No Login

Michigan
Reply #6 - 09/20/04 at 08:28:46

That clarifies alot, thanks a bunch!

IP Logged
Mr 650
Serious Thumper

The LS650- Classic
style & 4-valve
engine

Mempho
Reply #7 - 09/21/04 at 00:29:04

Susan wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
Here is a link to the topic in question:
Does Cobra make a slip-on?

Re: '04 exhaust vs. earlier years, one of the guys should weigh in here, but as I understand it there have been very few changes to the Savage over the years so the advice for an earlier model should work for you as well.

I have never seen the early version next to the late models. They look the same to me. It was reported the early ones sounded and ran better.
Ron Ayers has 2 part numbers for '86 and another for '03, I have not checked all the years.

BODY,MUFFLER  
14310-24B00-H01 '86
14310-24B01-H01 '86- rev.
14310-24B41-H01 '03

SilverBlue '01,K&N,Snorklectomy,125mm NOS carb, 1/2 spacer & 155, 'Trapp, NC flyscreen, Suzy GelSeat, Osram H4
later..putt. Putt, PUtt, PUTT! 8)
HelmetLawsSuck
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #8 - 09/21/04 at 02:04:21

Until this subject started, I had thought (like most others) that the only changes to the Savage had been cosmetic.

Thank you, Ron Ayers! Roll Eyes

IP Logged
cowboylukas
YaBB Newbies
2004 No Login

Michigan
Reply #9 - 09/21/04 at 14:18:16

We learn something everyday about our Savages don't we!

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #10 - 09/21/04 at 15:59:39

Well, we already knew the jetting changed over the years for emissions purposes, the muffler may also have changed slightly to keep the machine farting as well as ever.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Ed L.

Reply #11 - 09/21/04 at 16:18:37

There is a modification that is possible on the newer Savage mufflers if you have access to a welder. Take a hole saw and cut out the end of the muffler. A long piece of pipe with a short larger can shaped pipe spot welded to it should slip out of the muffler. Cut the spot welds and remove the can shaped pipe. Pack the end of the muffler housing with fiberglass, slip the long pipe back into the muffler and weld the end of the muffler back together. It gives you the stock look but a lot better sound. I did it to my '02 and can give you some better directions if interested. It's a fair amount of work, might be easier just to swap out to a different exhaust. good luck

IP Logged
cowboylukas
YaBB Newbies
2004 No Login

Michigan
Reply #12 - 09/21/04 at 18:13:54

I have an '04...Earlier this year my buddy bought a Jardine for his '02 bike and really likes it, he has no intentions on putting his old muffler back on his bike so we decided to use his old muffler that way if we mess something up we are not out anything.  Anyway we took a torch and cut out the end of the muffler (the inside not cutting it any shorter).  There was a little pipe inside, we took that out, and we hacked a little more out of the inside.  I have no spark resister anymore but it sounds pretty cool.   We could not reach a baffle in the middle of the pipe.  All the exhaust has inside it now is a screen, a piece of metal with 3 holes (the same size as the original end of the pipes hole) other than that is pretty much a straight pipe.  When we took it for a test drive tonight he was following me on his bike and said he could see blue shoots of fire when my bike backfired...it was sweet.  

I had no extra money so this modification will work for me for the rest of the season til I have some money next season.  I will post later indicating if there are any changes in the MPG.  Something I hoped to gain was overall top speed, this mod did not affect that.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/02/24 at 11:09:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Exhaust Modification...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.